What Would You Do? HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thundrstorm

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've applied to the NIH IRTA program, and have not yet found a lab placement. The first lab to contact me chose soemone who could start 2 months earlier than me. Then, I heard nothing from May until a couple of weeks ago, when I was contacted by another PI. I met w/her on Friday, and I'm hesitating b/c I found her research to be quite boring, and I'm not terribly interested in it, but I don't have any other options right now (at NIH or anywhere else) and I need a job at the end of August. I have contacted some labs I'm interested in, but they are either already full or haven't yet responded. I need to give her an answer in the next day or so, but I'm worried that I'm going to make a mistake. What would you do? Is it stupid of me to turn down any IRTA position? Any advice is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Thundrstorm said:
I've applied to the NIH IRTA program, and have not yet found a lab placement. The first lab to contact me chose soemone who could start 2 months earlier than me. Then, I heard nothing from May until a couple of weeks ago, when I was contacted by another PI. I met w/her on Friday, and I'm hesitating b/c I found her research to be quite boring, and I'm not terribly interested in it, but I don't have any other options right now (at NIH or anywhere else) and I need a job at the end of August. I have contacted some labs I'm interested in, but they are either already full or haven't yet responded. I need to give her an answer in the next day or so, but I'm worried that I'm going to make a mistake. What would you do? Is it stupid of me to turn down any IRTA position? Any advice is much appreciated.

Knowing the lab scene in Boston (you're in Boston, right?), I would say go to NIH and suck it up for the next few months. Unless you have some major connections or are feeling really good about finding something here in the area, I think a bird in the hand is much better then two in the bush.

I had a similar thing happen to me way back when, and it blew up in my face, hence my stance.

Oh and good luck with your apps, I lurk on the MSTP board and will be in your shoes this time next year, fingers crossed... :thumbup:

Thanks. :) I'm not actually in Boston. I couldn't afford to stay there after graduation, so I'm in MD at my parent's house. If I don't get a miraculous e-mail from any of my other prospects, I'm plan to accept the position this afternoon. Well, hopefully they want me. I know they interviewed 2 other people.