What Would You Do? HIPAA (VIPs)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azimuthal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seeking some insight for the scenario below. It’s long.

I work for a small community hospital that is part of a larger healthcare network. A few months ago, I was asked for a routine IP post op consult for a ‘VIP’. I don’t tend to care about the ‘VIP’ aspect because I’m under the impression that all my patients are ‘VIP’. Everything went great.

So, here’s the situation. I later find out that this patient was a family member of top management from the larger network. An exec, who I’ve seen around but have had no interactions with, stopped me in the middle of the hallway and asked if I was working with this patient. I replied that I was. This exec proceeded to ask about how the patient was doing. I told this person that my patient was “doing fine” and that if he wanted specifics, he can visit the patient. He awkwardly avoided the direction I set on the conversation and began asking specifics. I again told him that he can visit the patient for specifics. He ignored my suggestion and begin asking more questions. I told him that I can’t speak to him regarding my patients progress of medical condition without my patients consent, etc. I could tell that he was getting upset with me. So this guy, who does not have a clinical background, proceeds to “remind me” that the patient is a VIP and that I should be “on top of my game” when working with this patient. I rolled my eyes and tell him, “sure” and walked away. I’m a horrible diplomat.

I was later pulled aside by my director about my interaction with that exec. (The following is my own interpretation) He apparently went to my director and insinuated that I did not show him the courtesy he apparently deserved. If I acted this way with him, how am I with patients, or more importantly, VIPs. This infuriated me. Luckily, my director didn’t think anything of it.

During my afternoon session with my patient, I mentioned that she was popular and that she probably had many visitors. She told me that she did not and it’s better that way because she wanted to rest. I told her about the inquiries about her well-being and if it was okay if I let them know more. She was surprised and told me that the CEO dropped by to introduce himself but that she did not know anyone else in administration at this hospital. She thanked me for “doing the right thing” and gave me permission to let the exec know that she would welcome a visit should he ask again.

Now, I’m trying my best to be the better person, but whenever I see this guy, my blood boils. I confided to my medical director about it, and he jokingly told me to “tell him to f-off next time.”

Has this happened to anyone else? How did you handle it?

Members don't see this ad.

I work for a small community hospital that is part of a larger healthcare network. A few months ago, I was asked for a routine IP post op consult for a ‘VIP’. I don’t tend to care about the ‘VIP’ aspect because I’m under the impression that all my patients are ‘VIP’. Everything went great.

So, here’s the situation. I later find out that this patient was a family member of top management from the larger network. An exec, who I’ve seen around but have had no interactions with, stopped me in the middle of the hallway and asked if I was working with this patient. I replied that I was. This exec proceeded to ask about how the patient was doing. I told this person that my patient was “doing fine” and that if he wanted specifics, he can visit the patient. He awkwardly avoided the direction I set on the conversation and began asking specifics. I again told him that he can visit the patient for specifics. He ignored my suggestion and begin asking more questions. I told him that I can’t speak to him regarding my patients progress of medical condition without my patients consent, etc. I could tell that he was getting upset with me. So this guy, who does not have a clinical background, proceeds to “remind me” that the patient is a VIP and that I should be “on top of my game” when working with this patient. I rolled my eyes and tell him, “sure” and walked away. I’m a horrible diplomat.

I was later pulled aside by my director about my interaction with that exec. (The following is my own interpretation) He apparently went to my director and insinuated that I did not show him the courtesy he apparently deserved. If I acted this way with him, how am I with patients, or more importantly, VIPs. This infuriated me. Luckily, my director didn’t think anything of it.

During my afternoon session with my patient, I mentioned that she was popular and that she probably had many visitors. She told me that she did not and it’s better that way because she wanted to rest. I told her about the inquiries about her well-being and if it was okay if I let them know more. She was surprised and told me that the CEO dropped by to introduce himself but that she did not know anyone else in administration at this hospital. She thanked me for “doing the right thing” and gave me permission to let the exec know that she would welcome a visit should he ask again.

Now, I’m trying my best to be the better person, but whenever I see this guy, my blood boils. I confided to my medical director about it, and he jokingly told me to “tell him to f-off next time.”

No but Ive heard of situations. Keep it private. If asked next time, state its part of your job and maintenance of your license to maintain HIPAA compliance.
Keep your director on your side.

Why are you taking this personally? You need to let it go....

And you probably need to learn to be more diplomatic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you taking this personally? You need to let it go....

And you probably need to learn to be more diplomatic.

Oh yes, I agree.

The thing was, I initially was very polite about the issue when he asked. I admit that I did not spend more time to deescalate the frustration and change of tone after I kept denying his request. I even thought they may have known each other. Something that I did not mention was that he also physically blocked me while I attempted to make an exit to tell me how I should be treating a VIP. To my knowledge, I served my patient very well. The eye roll was automatic and I know I need more restraint.

And now, I have “Let it go...” in my head.

Reactions: 1 users

Report the loser exec to your hospital system
Good job

you did great. do it the same next time. Next time it could be a sting to try and see if you violate privacy laws. I use the phrase, "sorry, none of your business"