Would you...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulpt1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Choose a school that is 30-40K more expensive to be in a more desirable area/closer to family?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't, but then again I don't like my family all that much.

Reactions: 6 users
I wouldn't, but then again I don't like my family all that much.

lol brutal.

Choose a school that is 30-40K more expensive to be in a more desirable area/closer to family?

Both are subjective to each person. If seeing family is of importance to you, it might be better to spend the extra money. The location is an important factor too but frankly, you're going to be studying so frequently that it might not matter as much as you believe.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Well if you did that are there other ways for you to offset the costs such as.....living with family, using public transit, etc? Is the more expensive program well regarded and graduates have stable employment? If the program itself is reputable and your family improves your well being then it might be worth it. However if the program is not one of the better programs not only will you have spent or borrowed more money to attend you might have fewer career options.

Reactions: 1 users
absolutely go where the total cost is the least. your future self with thank you

Reactions: 1 users
You're not going to live in this more desirable area. You're going to be a student there. One that needs to study a lot. The library, or the bedroom in your apartment, in a less desirable area doesn't look that much different.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Its nice having your support group close by, even if you will have little free time...when I was in PT school and then med school, it was nice getting away from my campus on weekends, staying with my sister, even though I spent a lot time studying there...also do you want to settle down by your family? I would think that attending school there would increase your odds of landing a job there

Think long term...35k is a deal breaker.

Do the math on other cost factors. Is the 30-40K more just tuition cost difference? Is there a cost of living difference? How much will it cost you to travel home on the holidays? What will your commute be at both places?

It's definitely not a small amount. For me, if I was still close-ish to family (within 6 hours so I could reasonably drive on breaks, 3 hours would be ideal because you *could* to that on a weekend), I would probably go cheaper.

No, I wouldn't. Paying 30-40K more for school now will mean paying something like $3500 ish more annually for 10 years or more. I hate to make it all about money, but paying extra now to be near your family will mean sacrificing money later on when you have your own family to support. That's enough to make a car payment, to go on a nice vacation, to pay your entire grocery bill, or a host of other things. I love my family, but with Skype and other modern communication methods, I wouldn't spend 30-40K extra to stay near them.

Reactions: 1 user
No. We live in the communication age: phone, text, e-mail, Skype, social media, etc. Use those media to stay connected. They're a lot cheaper than 35k.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Save the 30-40 K! not worth it. That can be more than half your starting salary. Eat dirt! suck it up! too much debt for new grad will be very stressful.