What would you do if you did not go into medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd become a janitor and occasionally solve math equations written on the blackboard at my local university.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I enjoyed working in the airlines, so I would try to land a management job again. If not, it would be nice to become a professional pilot. Unfortunately it's hell moving your way up to the majors.

I'd become a janitor and occasionally solve math equations written on the blackboard at my local university.

Perhaps at MIT? Get recognized, accelerate to the top, and then give it all up for a girl? Hehe

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Get a PhD in Ancient History or something Bio related and do research. Also be a university professor.

Also I can become an entrepreneur. I technically found a way to capitalize on free labor without breaking any laws or draw any criticism.

It's called pre-med volunteers. :D

Now if only there was a way to implement this in a good way. I know a guy who is a business owner that was seriously interested in something like this.

I'll found my own law school. :)

Public health, research, gov., non-profit. If not health/science related professional viola player, kindergarden ESL teacher or Xmas lights architect, librarian, comic artist...

Bio prof, genetics councilor, fishing guide, police officer

Research. Maybe PA school

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, the options are endless...

Maybe get a PhD in history and be a professor?
Or go into biomedical engineering?
Or be a baker?
Or go to PA school? (less likely)
Or be a flight attendant?

I'd become a university professor and build up a reputation so I am the History Channel go to guy for consults regarding aliens.

Bunny doctor, HS math teacher, starving artist, or prostitute

Or maybe all 4.

I'm already a nurse so I'll probably go on for BSN.

Being that I want to be a Psychiatrist,.. or Neurologist. I'd probably go the PhD route and become a clinical psychologist or maybe do Neuroscience!

Oh no, don't take this towards yourself, by any means. I just meant I heard of other people not getting in and they decide to go to law school.

That's actually really common...a good number of law students are failed pre-meds lol

I'd become a university professor and build up a reputation so I am the History Channel go to guy for consults regarding aliens.

I've worked with the history channel. They prefer self-proclaimed experts without formal education.

For all those planning to become a engineer, wouldn't that require you to take many engineering pre-reqs (specifically math)?

For all those planning to become a engineer, wouldn't that require you to take many engineering pre-reqs (specifically math)?

They probably already have the degree, or are currently majoring in engineering.

If neither MD or DO was a possibility, I would become a midlevel. I would maybe consider dentistry, but I think it would be too manual for me. Pharmacy would be the only other career I'd consider in healthcare... but I probably wouldn't pursue in today's environment given its analogous situation to law schools.

If nothing in healthcare, I'd consider being a HS teacher.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's actually really common...a good number of law students are failed pre-meds lol

And a good number of law students are also failed lawyers. Something like 50% of law school graduates never get a job as a lawyer because the market saturation is beyond screwed. :laugh:

Start up. I'd want to open up a cafe & bakery.

Culinary school and/or see what happens in Hollywood.

Since I'm still deciding between a PhD in Clinical Psych or going to Med School, if I couldn't do the latter, I'd probably do the former (though getting into a PhD program in Clinical Psych is not a laughing matter...of course the PsyD is also an option).

If not that, then maybe PA school. Could still practice medicine and make a good salary so the trade-off wouldn't be horrible in the least.

If not that...well maybe physical therapy since I enjoy weight lifting and the physiology behind it.

...and if not that...well I'd probably try my hand at becoming a police officer. Because why not?

I'd go into something similar in healthcare, such as nursing, PA, etc. with potential for academic affiliation and research involvement. Might dabble in the business/admin side of things too. The possibilities are similar in some ways to those available with the MD/DO degree. Times are changing. There are nurse practitioners who run their own practices, for example.

Public health - promotion/prevention research
Work for a non-profit
University professor

Or...

Hammock and hike across the United States and eventually open up a cupcake shop called "The Cupcake Bar" with cupcakes based on/made with beers and cocktails. :thumbup:

And a good number of law students are also failed lawyers. Something like 50% of law school graduates never get a job as a lawyer because the market saturation is beyond screwed. :laugh:
Yeah lol because a lot of them have a heart and don't go into to the main money earning practices i.e. Corporate liars and divorce lawyers.

I've always thought this was a weird interview question. The question forces you to presume the world is a state which precludes you from being a doctor for some insurmountable reason. On the surface it sounds like a reasonable hypothetical, and I have a hypothetical answer, but as a realistic question? I think it sucks.

I can't actually see myself going through with other plans because I haven't arrived at the career pursuit I have through a thought process acknowledging of my inability to be a doctor. This hypothetical condition on my choice of career is one that applies to a decision I can only make after having arrived naturally, over time, at the choice of physician. How can my answer be realistic?

Plus, I haven't done the extensive research or had the personal exposure to these other possible fields as I have medicine. How do I know I wouldn't love to be a police detective? It's not something I ever seriously considered because medicine was a bigger draw for my interests, so among several other things that just "sound cool," how can I have a serious choice when I wouldn't have made the serious choice to pursue medicine without such deliberation?

I've always thought this was a weird interview question. The question forces you to presume the world is a state which precludes you from being a doctor for some insurmountable reason. On the surface it sounds like a reasonable hypothetical, and I have a hypothetical answer, but as a realistic question? I think it sucks.

I can't actually see myself going through with other plans because I haven't arrived at the career pursuit I have through a thought process acknowledging of my inability to be a doctor. This hypothetical condition on my choice of career is one that applies to a decision I can only make after having arrived naturally, over time, at the choice of physician. How can my answer be realistic?

Plus, I haven't done the extensive research or had the personal exposure to these other possible fields as I have medicine. How do I know I wouldn't love to be a police detective? It's not something I ever seriously considered because medicine was a bigger draw for my interests, so among several other things that just "sound cool," how can I have a serious choice when I wouldn't have made the serious choice to pursue medicine without such deliberation?

wut

Last edited:

Maybe you could be a philosophy professor.

Get my PhD and do either Physics or Biochem research.