Deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted943655

Deleted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will this be the first time you have applied?
Have you taken the MCAT before? If so what was your score?
Your GPAs are low for MD( especially your sGPA). And at this point it will be difficult to move your GPA numbers. What you have to do is convince ADCOMS that you are up to the rigors of medical school. You haven’t done that with a 3.3 sGPA. And a MPH won’t help at all. You could try taking 2-3 semesters of full time course work of upper level science and do extremely well. I don’t know much about SMPS except they are a back door into med school. They cost a lot and they are very high stakes. If you don’t do well your chances at med school disappear. And I’m not sure you need a SMP.

Whybare you only interested in MD?

If you want real help please fill in the WAMC grid.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I am trying to go solely for MD next cycle. I have been accepted to an MPH program in my hometown to keep myself busy during a year off while also giving me some support with job prospects in-case I do not get in for the next cycle. I have a 3.51 cGPA and a 3.3 sGPA; I feel like since I have a weak GPA I should look into doing a post-bacc instead. However, I do not know how many courses I should take to help improve my GPA and my application.

I know the MPH is stigmatized since it is an inflated/easier degree, but I feel like it can also add some validity to my application since I want to work on a global health level and address healthcare inequality. Anyone have a recommendation for me at this point? Has anyone done both during the same semester?

Additional info: I will be living at home during my gap year and will be actively volunteering, working at a local hospital, and studying for my MCAT retake coming up in March. I have been prioritizing MCAT now since it has been my last semester (only taking 2 courses).
Reality check time.

Those GPAs are not viable for MD unless you have a massive rising GPA trend, and the MPH will not remediate them either. You'll get more bonus points by actually working in healthcare inequality, like aiding populations less fortunate than yours.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Since I don't have. that massive upward trend, should I be looking towards a post-bacc as a means of showing that I am capable of upper-level coursework (building that trend). I understand that the GPA themselves are not competitive, but should I work to show that I am by giving back to my community?
Yup, do a DIY postbac. But you're fine right now for DO schools.

And yes, work to give back to your community

Read this:

Reactions: 2 users
I gotcha. Since I got your ear Goro, I have really strong ties to Louisiana (my whole family lives there, I spent a lot of my time growing up there), but I am not a resident. Am I practically out for LSU system? I know they mainly take in-state, but with my strong ties and intent to practice there, would it make a difference?
I'm not sanguine. LSU-NO only accepted 16 OOSers, out of some 3700 applicants. But having grown up there might add some points.

Tulane might be a better shot, especially as they reward reinvention

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know who you have sought at your institution for prehealth advising. It doesn't sound like you have become well versed in the TMDSAS process despite lots of information for applicants.

If you have money to do an MPH, why don't you have the money to do a DIY postbac to raise those GPAs? You are better off graduating, killing the MCAT, and devote yourself to a full-time job working in a public-facing community service position (that's really lacking IMO... fundraising doesn't do it). Do something with Americorps or Peace Corps to show your passion for global or public health. You need to show you have service orientation independent of the safety net of a university.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Would things like the Ronald McDonald House count towards that community service position? And, how many classes should I look to take for my post-bacc given my GPA?
I don't know what classes you have already taken regarding what you have left. Examples include immunology, physiology, and histology.

RMH is okay depending on what you did. Were you a weekend manager cleaning after every group checked out or every party was run in the commons/dining room? Was this what you did for 200 hours?

Reactions: 1 user