What Would You Do If....?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothart

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you're working on your practical inserting amalgam on number 30 and as you lift the matrix band your marginal ridge comes apart?

Note: the amalgam has begun to set and harden, only situation for amatures like me.

ReG

Members don't see this ad.

toothart said:
If you're working on your practical inserting amalgam on number 30 and as you lift the matrix band your marginal ridge comes apart?

Note: the amalgam has begun to set and harden, only situation for amatures like me.

ReG

First of all, you took off the tofflemire too early. That being said, if that happens, you basically have to take the restoration out and start over.

There's really only one thing to do: extract, do an implant, and restore both arches. Just to be safe you should consider doing prophylactic on endo on both arches as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
toothart said:

ReG

When I overbuild I make sure it doesn't go over the top of the matrix band. That way if you condensed it properly within the "working time" window it doesn't get "snagged" when you pull it off.

Also I'm constantly practicing my hand skills by playing Mario and Contra on my computer during lecture. The hand-eye coordination training that you receive from saving the world is second to none and will far surpass any number of hours you put in practicing in the lab.

Good luck tomorrow by the way.

We're taught to take the Tofflemire off of the matrix band. Then cut the band so there is less of it to pull past the restoration. Then remove it carefully while holding the marginal ridge down with a condensor.

Trookie said:
We're taught to take the Tofflemire off of the matrix band. Then cut the band so there is less of it to pull past the restoration. Then remove it carefully while holding the marginal ridge down with a condensor.

A few of us also cut the band and just slide it either facially or lingually. I am assuming the sliding creates less force rather than pull up.

Dukie said:
First of all, you took off the tofflemire too early. That being said, if that happens, you basically have to take the restoration out and start over.
totally agree,i found out that removing it too late is better than too early (if you fail to remove them on time , that is) :D
and you have to condense them into a really tight , thick mass and do the carving of the ridge BEFORE the removal of the matrix, once the matrix is gone never touch the ridge, rather go for below- the- ridge -proximal carving instead
and.. after all that, it doesn't always work (another amateur in here)

Dukie said:

Also, it could be either that you didn't condense with enough pressure or that you were working too slow and the amalgam was already too set by the time you added that last increment for the marginal ridge. I sometimes reduce the trituration time by 1 sec if I'm filling a really large box or an MOD to give myself a little extra working time.

toothart said:

ReG

Build your marginal ridge. Its important to let it set, dont rush the process. If you take it off too early, the ridge will break. Take off the retainer, leaving the band on. Lets say you are doing an MO on 30. Remove the band from the distal portion of 30, thereby just have the band between 29 and 30. Slowly wiggle the band out of the proximal space. Then, if the amalgam has hardened enough, you can shape it and contour it without having it fall apart. If it does fall apart, then you did it too early...gotta take it out and redo.

I hadn't thought of cutting the matrix band before. That is a good idea. I have instead taken the matrix band out of the holder, which does the same thing, but may not be quite as fast. But again, you don't want to take it off too quickly, anyway.

I usually pack the amalgam down *hard*, precarve the occlusal anatomy while it is setting with the matrix band still in....so when I remove it (holding the marginal ridge with a big condensor) I don't have to put as much effort/pressure to get the extra amalgam off. I hope you remembered to remove the excess first with like an explorer between the matrix band and the marginal ridge first. That can also cause the MR to fracture.

If in case you do need to start over, a spoon excavator is an great tool to remove the amalgam before it sets too hard. At least it works well on the typodont teeth we have...

Sweeti8286 said:
I usually pack the amalgam down *hard*, precarve the occlusal anatomy while it is setting with the matrix band still in....so when I remove it (holding the marginal ridge with a big condensor) I don't have to put as much effort/pressure to get the extra amalgam off. I hope you remembered to remove the excess first with like an explorer between the matrix band and the marginal ridge first. That can also cause the MR to fracture.

If in case you do need to start over, a spoon excavator is an great tool to remove the amalgam before it sets too hard. At least it works well on the typodont teeth we have...

I think many schools have the same supplier (Columbia Dentoform) for their typodont teeth. Thanks for the pointers.