What would you do if...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnisgone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you do with an overall GPA of 3.7, science GPA of 3.4. and an mcat of 23P.

1. Apply to D.O. schools now?
2. Apply to D.O. schools now and indicate that you will retake the MCAT in Jan?
3. Wait and apply next year?
4. Just forget D.O. and apply to podiatry?

Members don't see this ad.

What would you do with an overall GPA of 3.7, science GPA of 3.4. and an mcat of 23P.

Just kidding. Like I advised someone else earlier today with similar stats... your GPA is great. Your MCAT may be your downfall, although I'm not saying you won't get any interviews. My choices would be either 2 or 3.

retake, apply next yr.
23 isn't going to cut it, and you're sort of late in this cycle as it. save yourself the money and the time/aggravation. You'll get some secondaries, but only so they can eat up your processing fee. The GPA is solid, and Im sure a repeat on the MCAT will work out well for you. Best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest 2 or 3. I disagree with the premise that you're late on your application cycle. I applied at the exact deadline last year and was accepted (Feb. 1, interviewed March 26, accepted early April). Only go for option 2 if you think that you can really get your MCAT up in the next few months. Otherwise, I'd lean more towards 3 and really try and get that score up to the high 20s low 30s. Hell, if you can get your score into the 30s look at allopathic and osteopathic programs depending on your ECs.

Eh, there are several DO schools with average MCATs of 24-25. That means there are several scores from accepted applicants that are less than 24, which means 23. Your GPA is good and helps make up for the low MCAT. Research the schools that have lower MCAT averages, but keep in mind that these schools are usually only lenient on low MCATs if the student has shown through volunteering or from work that they have a good/extensive experience in either the medical field or some other form of altruism.

Don't worry about applying late. Yes, most med schools operate on a rolling admissions basis, but I know many many people who have applied much later than this and had no problems whatsover getting in even when their stats were only average. With that said, apply as soon as possible.

Lastly, if you do decide to apply this year, be confident in your application. Don't try to make excuses for your MCAT in your primary, save that for the interview.

How does the rest of your app look when you exclude the numbers, because for DO schools, the non-numbers part of your application is just as important as the grades.

-Ive got ~ 80 hours of ambulance volunteering
-I shadowed 2 docs (one d.o. and one m.d)
-one Research Publication

Is that good enough to make up for the low mcat?

-Ive got ~ 80 hours of ambulance volunteering
-I shadowed 2 docs (one d.o. and one m.d)
-one Research Publication

Is that good enough to make up for the low mcat?

1) Less than average.
2) Average
3) If it's a first author then you potentially have something to make you stand out.

Just retake and reapply next year. I'm gonna make this quite cut and dry.

I'd also suggest evaluating honestly why you got the 23. No "I'm a bad test taker" is NOT an acceptable answer. Really dig in there and find out why. Use that info to guide you between choices 3 and 4. In most cases you'll find that 3 is the right answer because there was some poor preparation or one time folly that cost you points, but if you really discover that you simply do not have the chops to score well on a qualifying exam, then 4 it is.

My advice would be to apply and indicate you will take the January MCAT. Spend the next few months volunteering, shadowing, and training for the MCAT. With that kind of GPA, you should be able to pull a 30 on your MCAT, in which case you will definitely get some interview invites.

Check the MCAT forum for some help with how to crack the exam.

Just my opinion.

Many of the above individuals have made good suggestions, however, in regards to applying to podiatric medical school I would take a step back and truly get a good grasp of what this specialty entails, as well as shadow a podiatrist.

With podiatry it's not like MD/DO where you can change your mind on specialties as many times as you'd like. If you decide to take this route as a back up, you could end up very unhappy, or you could also end up happy as well...depends on what YOU expect from your future medical career.

Good Luck...I've heard & seen individuals (as many have) getting accepted to DO school with similar stats as yours.