what would you do? UCLA/UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roo425

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an e-mail from UCSD telling me that they just put me "on hold" for possible interview. I'm an August MCATer and my GPA is good (3.9) but MCAT is a little bit weak (31). "IF" I get into UCLA and UCSD, I think I will have difficulty to decide which one I would go. (Of course, I will have better feelings for each schools after interview but I didn't get to that part yet.)
Anyhow, at this point, my question is should I send a letter of intent to UCSD which means I kill all the possibility to go to UCLA "IF" I get into UCLA. I like UCLA because of their curriculum and, of course, they are higher rank. I like UCSD because of their location (my family is in San Diego and I live in San Diego.) but don't like their curriculum but I think I would be just fine. My UCLA file was completed on 11/21, which means that I might not hear anything from them until next month. What would you guys do at this point? I thought any news(even rejection!) is better than waiting but I haven't thought this situation would happen. Please help! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

You shouldn't worry about letters of intent pre-interview. I'm in a very similar situation (high gpa, 31 mcat, on hold at UCSD, complete at UCLA but only silence so far). I think you should just focus on letters of interest and updating them with any new info you have on your activities.

I'm confused, do you currently have an interview scheduled for either UCLA or UCSD?

If not, then a letter of interest is probably better than a letter of intent seeing how they have put you on hold for an interview and that may push favorably for an interviw at san diego..

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't send a letter of intent to either. Update the schools if you have new info, and tell them how much you love them, but don't pigeonhole yourself into any particular school. There is plenty of time left in this process, especially for the UCs. :thumbup:

Thank you so much, you guys. You're awesome! I'll try to be hopeful and patient. :)