What would you do? Unique situation involving GRE and Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LPCC2010

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello people, I am in a predicament. I was planning on retaking BIO 1 for the fall semester since I had a C+ the first time around to apply for this cycle. However, the school I am applying to said the retake will not count for this application cycle. I was expecting to have a 3.43 science gpa, but with the C+ in there it is at a 3.19.. My GRE score could use some improvements. Right now its a 151V, 149Q, and a 3 for the essay. What should I do? Should I retake Bio 1 and retake the GRE this fall semester? Should I just take the GRE? Without the BIO class I would have lots of study time to improve on the GRE. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying to more than one school?

The school you're interested in said that the retake will not apply...do you know why this is? If so, I would just improve my GRE score, since it seems like retaking the bio class won't improve your odds of acceptance.

I would retake Bio 1 ASAP. And retake the GRE.

Hopefully you are applying to more than one school. Look for schools that have a later deadline (Jan or Feb), that way your retake of Bio can be used in the admission decisions of those schools. And that way if you don't get in during this application cycle you will have retaken it in time for next year!

Regarding your GRE scores: there are schools that don't require the GRE, or ones that have lower minimum scores. But the majority of schools require 150-150-4.0. So shoot for that.

Just a side note: be sure to evaluate your study abilities and decide if you are up to the challenge of PT school. If you are struggling to get A's or B's in freshman-level biology while studying for other classes/exams, you may have difficulty in PT school. Though I obviously don't know the circumstances of your poor grade - you may have experienced illness or had a time-consuming job.

Good luck! :)

Adding something else...what did you struggle with in Bio 1? I just had to retake that class, so I might be able to help find study resources if you decide to retake the class.