what would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StarGirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
let's say hypothetically,
you have been accepted to two schools that you don't really want to go to, and you have 4+ interviews in the next month and a half.... would you risk not paying the deposit and pray that you get into one of those 4 or possible another school that you haven't heard from? Or would you pay the deposit for the school that's cheaper, or would you pay for the one (out of the two) that you would perfer to go to, but would lose a HEFTY 3,000 dollars if you end up going elsewhere? :( confused... any insight would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

classic game theory situation if you are only concerned about finances. I would pay the school with the lower deposit; that way the money you have already invested in this process is guaranteed a return (1 school). if you get in better choices later on, then you are better off than a nominal return. if you don't get in later on you still have 1 school in your hand. If you pay 3 grand, you are still going to get same returns (1 or 1+ schools) but are worse off financially (3000 minus cost of deposit for other school)
anyways so much for theory. If i were you I wold go ahead and pay the school that I liked because 3000 as a percentage of an avg. debt load of >60-80K is less than 5%. Not a bad price for peace of mind!
best of luck!