What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What would you do with a 3.0 GPA both Sci and Overall

• Forget the advisor and continue to persue Medicine.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Oh yea they are right Go do something else.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Plan on Possble Post bac so the US is a good option.

Votes: 25 64.1%
  • Oh well there's always the Caribbean for medschool too.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

oldpro

MS IV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is what I see time to time,
Currently on another forum a 20 yr old with a:

3.0 over all GPA
3.0 in Sci GPA

Hasn't taken MCAT yet
Has 1 yr left under grad

Was given the following advice by the schools "ADVISOR"

No way will they ever get into Med school!

Now I hate advisors with a passion, they often give such advice what would you do?

(Oh BTW on the other forum it was posted by 2 different posters that schools Advisors must only tell people with GPA's above 3.6 that they will have any chance at Mesdschool as a rule because the school only want to turn out premeds like that? Huh? What is this insane crap? True?)

Members don't see this ad.

We always hear stories of how people manage to pull it off...even with a GPA that isn't above 3.3. Assuming the person that you mentioned plans to take an upper level BIO/CHM class or two during their last year, AND plans to bust @$$ and get A's...they might be just fine. It might also make sense for them to hang around for another term or two and boost the GPA with a few more upper level science classes. Demonstrating an upward trend is always a good thing. THEN there is always the MCAT...it is a must for a person in this situation to do well. Best of luck. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be applying with a gpa of 3.0 (hopefully) that I brought up from a 2.4 from 5 years ago. I started taking (and retaking) classes last year. I am applying to DO schools only (maybe one exception). My two year post-bacc GPA will (hopefully) be about 3.5 after this coming school year. I will be applying next summer and also enrolling in a masters program at a local med school and taking classes with med students.

My advisor told me that I won't have a chance and she could not support me. I needed to have a plan B. I dropped her after that.

And the poll choices are a little contradicting. I would have chosen to continue on path and consider post-bacc in the US. We all know (and this is getting way cliche) ... this trek is a marathon not a sprint ;)

Well i dont think I am a non trad. I just turned 21 and am going to be a junior.
I have this to say!:

STUPID! I personally have never ever talked to a pre med advisor. She was actually telling people to major in biology! It doesnt really matter what you major in. I had a bad start in college, I wasn't even pre med, I have three undergrad years left and will do the best I can. I have pharmacy experience, shadowing, and will volunteer at a clinic in some form of music therapy assistance.

Just do your best and don't listen to anyone else. If you don't think your a competitive after undergrad, apply your last year and maybe do an SMP during the gap, or more undergrad post bac work.

oldpro said:
This is what I see time to time,
Currently on another forum a 20 yr old with a:

3.0 over all GPA
3.0 in Sci GPA

Hasn't taken MCAT yet
Has 1 yr left under grad

Was given the following advice by the schools "ADVISOR"

No way will they ever get into Med school!

Now I hate advisors with a passion, they often give such advice what would you do?

(Oh BTW on the other forum it was posted by 2 different posters that schools Advisors must only tell people with GPA's above 3.6 that they will have any chance at Mesdschool as a rule because the school only want to turn out premeds like that? Huh? What is this insane crap? True?)

Like Jamiemac said there is always going to be some advisor that cannot fathom you getting into medical school. The most inmportant thing to consider if you never give up you always have a chance. That's what I love about Osteopathic schools, with the retake policy and postbaccs you see people that get in after trying 4 sometimes 5 years in a row, but the point is they got in.

The selection process is so variable and subjective there is no possible way to predict what makes you a golden applicant in a particular schools eyes. If you really want to be a doctor then it shouldn't matter how long it takes as long as the eventual goal is attained. For some encouragement go to mdapplicant.com

WWU_Viking said:
Well i dont think I am a non trad. I just turned 21 and am going to be a junior.
I have this to say!:

STUPID! I personally have never ever talked to a pre med advisor. She was actually telling people to major in biology!

Seems to be a factor with some of the state schools, major that is. You'd better be blowing out the MCAT if you're a history major.

Take everything that ANYBODY says in perspective. Quite a few premed advisors HATE dealing with all the premed potzers.

Oh, and having matriculated with <3.0, it can be done. How? Blow the MCAT up!