What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJ Quik

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, heres the deal

I applied and didn't get in. My Stats are below. I want to be a Dentist, but I don't want to go through another year of school for a Post Bacc and still not get accepted. I would rather go back to school and get a useful degree, so if I don't get in, I can still have something to fall back on.

The problem is this: A useful degree is usually more difficult to get good grades in than a "mickey mouse masters" or a "post bacc". If I am wrong about this let me know. I was thinking a Masters of Biochem or Chemistry would be good. But would it do me any good to get a MS if I run the chance of not really improving my GPA? Or do schools ignore your BS grades and focus on your MS grades instead?

I have be out of school for almost 2 years as well, although I recently did an online Anatomy class. (yes,through a university).

Any advice would be great, and please feel free to give as much advice as possible.

:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, heres the deal

I applied and didn't get in. My Stats are below. I want to be a Dentist, but I don't want to go through another year of school for a Post Bacc and still not get accepted. I would rather go back to school and get a useful degree, so if I don't get in, I can still have something to fall back on.

The problem is this: A useful degree is usually more difficult to get good grades in than a "mickey mouse masters" or a "post bacc". If I am wrong about this let me know. I was thinking a Masters of Biochem or Chemistry would be good. But would it do me any good to get a MS if I run the chance of not really improving my GPA? Or do schools ignore your BS grades and focus on your MS grades instead?

I have be out of school for almost 2 years as well, although I recently did an online Anatomy class. (yes,through a university).

Any advice would be great, and please feel free to give as much advice as possible.

:oops:
I went through an MS program in neuroimmunology before applying to dental school. Most research positions now want an MS, so after I received mine, I worked (am working) for 2.5 years in translational research at a cancer hospital. If you get a masters, you will have something to fall back on. As for your true question, it depends. Some schools think generally it is easier to get higher grades in an MS program because you have to maintain a 3.0 generally. Also, for most schools, 3.0 is the cut off for getting into a grad program...not for all though. Anyway, if you apply to an MS program that is difficult, do well, and then apply to the same school for your dental degree, they will have an accurate idea of how complicted the degree was to obtain. My Master's courses were pretty much all taken at the medical school at VCU. I think that probably helped me a lot.

well at least your PAT is good to go! :D