what would you do?...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AUS4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be relocating to another state for the spring semester and have been accepted by two public universities to finish my B.S. The problem school A (better school) is giving me 66 credits , while school B (weaker school ) is giving me 137 credits. Both schools have about the same tuition. I am 38 and would like to apply in about two years , but I do not want to waste more time by the lost credits or jepordize my chances of gaining admission somewhere by coming from a "weaker" school.

Members don't see this ad.

I will be relocating to another state for the spring semester and have been accepted by two public universities to finish my B.S. The problem school A (better school) is giving me 66 credits , while school B (weaker school ) is giving me 137 credits. Both schools have about the same tuition. I am 38 and would like to apply in about two years , but I do not want to waste more time by the lost credits or jepordize my chances of gaining admission somewhere by coming from a "weaker" school.
Go to school B, curious what is your background/current job.

I have been a Licensed Funeral director/embalmer for the past 13 years , working in different capacities within the industry from management to staff. Started out at a four school after high school but left to go to mortuary school:thumbdown: instead of finishing my degree. For the past couple of years i have been pecking away at the coursework while working full time and volunteering in the ED.Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is school B on the quarter system.

Either way, go with school B, assuming it's accredited and that there are grads in med school somewhere.

School B is on the semester system. I am still doing the due diligence in regards to getting any matriculant numbers , but there is a very active and informative pre-med/health web page. I even noticed Mcat prep course's on the semester class schedule offered 2x week ( not sure who qualifies for those courses?) but I will find out!

I agree, definitely go with school B. I'm in the middle of med school apps right now, and it seems that med schools care much more about your GPA than the institution it came from--provided it's a 4-year college as opposed to a CC. So, while a 3.5 from Harvard may beat a 3.5 from Podunk U, a 4.0 from Podunk will win out over a 3.5 from Harvard almost all the time.

If school B is "weaker," it should be easier too, which should help your GPA. And AMCAS is going to count all your old courses in your GPA, regardless of whether your second school gives you credit for them, so you might as well go to the place that will get you out in less time.

P.S. I have a similar question to Dr. Midlife's: if school B will give you 137 credits and uses the semester system, isn't that more than enough for a BA degree already? Or do you not have enough credits yet in your major?

At my undergrad school, you needed 36 semester courses (108 credits) to graduate, assuming you'd also met the requirements for your major and the "distribution requirements."

Last edited: