What Would You Do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you saw something you knew to be a typo on the MCAT? For instance

"μk=0.5, μs=0.1"

Members don't see this ad.

If the problem were impossible due to the typo, answer as if the typo didn't exist. If it were still solvable, answer as written.

Well that's the issue with a problem involving friction. You can be pretty certain that on all problems involving μs and μk that one of the answers choices will involve using μk and the other μs because MCAT will try to see if you are paying attention to which μ to use. So both answers will be there.

For instance, if they say "how much force to get this box moving from rest," then you know you are supposed to use μs. However, if they give you a μs that is smaller than μk, you know it is a typo since μs is always greater than μk. This probably won't happen, but it happened on a physics class test I had last week, but in that situation I was able to point out the error to the instructor... that's not going to be an option on MCAT.

If there's a practical way to solve it with what's given, do it, even if the results are somewhat absurd. File a contest/dispute after that if you're absolutely sure that they're wrong. I assume they do a reasonably good editing job though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well that's the issue with a problem involving friction. You can be pretty certain that on all problems involving μs and μk that one of the answers choices will involve using μk and the other μs because MCAT will try to see if you are paying attention to which μ to use. So both answers will be there.

For instance, if they say "how much force to get this box moving from rest," then you know you are supposed to use μs. However, if they give you a μs that is smaller than μk, you know it is a typo since μs is always greater than μk. This probably won't happen, but it happened on a physics class test I had last week, but in that situation I was able to point out the error to the instructor... that's not going to be an option on MCAT.
I'd still use the μs in that case. Even if the given value is illogical, if you're using the values they want you to and you know it, then you should still get the answer they want.

Though really I just hope typos don't get by the editors...

If there's a practical way to solve it with what's given, do it, even if the results are somewhat absurd. File a contest/dispute after that if you're absolutely sure that they're wrong. I assume they do a reasonably good editing job though.

I'd still use the μs in that case. Even if the given value is illogical, if you're using the values they want you to and you know it, then you should still get the answer they want.

Though really I just hope typos don't get by the editors...

Ok that's what I figured. I assume they do a pretty good job as well. I really hope I don't see any typos because it will probably be on my mind the entire rest of the test.