What would you have done differently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sublimation

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For most of u on SDN tonight the hype is all about dec. 1, and for many of you this long application process, or as phrased by some "this journey" is coming to an end for some thses comming days. For those of you that are still out there awaiting your chance for an interview or stalking the mailbox awaiting that letter that will forever chage ur life, my prayers are with u, and i wish u all the best. If there is one thing you would have done differently along this "journey" what would it be?

Members don't see this ad.

started on my rec letters earlier, put more effort in studying for DAT, slept better before interviews

Members don't see this ad :)
I would have studied for more than a couple of months for the DAT (considering I was working 40+ hours/week) and submitted my AADSAS earlier

Wish to have finished everything early, had the app ready to go by June 1

1. even more than starting the rec letters early, make sure they'll really write & SEND one.. -_- i started one of mine in february and it fell through. i already have an acceptance for this cycle so it's not too big of a deal right now but it was still really annoying.
2. prepare for interviews while you're waiting for them. some of the schools give you really short notice for the interviews (i've had one instance where i called to schedule on a monday and they told me i could come in thursday of that week.) so for the schools you've sent in apps, start reviewing their website, thinking of answers to qs they're likely to ask, etc. before you're invited.
3. go shopping for interview clothes in advance.. maybe use this holiday season for it? heard the sales will be great... going around looking for suits/shirts a week before interviews wasn't the greatest experience i had.. lol
4. don't fly in the day of the interview. i personally didn't but i hear some ppl considering the option and it's really not worth it. you've already spent thousands on test prep/application/fees, dont' blow it on the interview. trust me, get a $300 room if you have to. get to the city before the big day, get a good night's sleep, and arrive on time the morning of.
5. try not to take too many hard classes for the fall semester when you're applying. you'll have to miss classes for the interviews, there's no way around it.
that's all i can think of for now. gl!

Not gone out as much and got a 4.0 at least in Junior and Senior year so I wouldn't have to get my masters this year.

Also I would actually do practice problems for my classes and not study the night before.

However hindsight is 20\20 and all we did was part of becoming who we are today.

1. i would have applied to a reserved admission program (would have saved a ton of money spent on the regular application cycle and relieved a lot of stress)
2. be a bio major instead of a chem major (don't ever take pchem lab..trust me on this one ;))
3. paid more attention the LOR requirements for some schools (for example, tufts requires a bio prof letter and i didn't have that..maybe thats why i didnt get an interview there)
4. i wouldn't have stressed out as much about my interviews
5. i would have never taken pchem lab. did i mention that before...? lololol

and i wouldn't have dated this one guy during undergrad...:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly...applying early has its benefits which we all see now : )

By everything submitted, you mean DAT scores in as well? So you would have made sure to take the DAT 6wks before Jun 1st? I am just trying to figure out when the latest I can take the DAT while still being a very early applicant.

I would have used a jump drive!!!!..my computer crashed twice throughout the cycle and i lost my upenn supplemental answers that i spent 2 days on and several essay requirements for my pre-health committee folder.

Also I would have taken my DATs between sophomore and junior year. It was way too stressful studying for the DAT this past summer and getting all of the application materials in early.

Props to the OP for creating this thread, btw, it's a great idea.

Things I would do differently:

1. Made sure all of my LOR writers got their letters in before September. It didn't seem late, but by the time AADSAS sent them out, it turned out to be quite late and held up my application at a few schools.

2. Put more thought into the schools I applied to. I will say I did screen pretty heavily and cut down from a bajillion schools to 15 initially. I applied to Creighton and Western and later decided that they are schools I would not want to attend (For Creighton, location is the issue, for Western, I don't want to be an inaugural class.) That was money that I could have saved to spend elsewhere in the application process, i.e. interview expenses. Also, I later decided to add Stony Brook - hadn't added it initially because I thought there was no way I'd get in the school let alone an interview, what do you know, I got an interview, so I'm praying for an acceptance tomorrow. Although the fees weren't any different, I still should have added it in my initial applications because sooner is always better :p

... moral of the story is don't hold off applying to a school you're really interested solely because you think you have no shot, because you really don't know ... but don't apply to EVERY school 'just because.' Think long and hard about if you'd REALLY go there if it was the only school you got in.

3. Spent a little more money and got a better quality suit.I'm funding my whole dental school application process myself and thought I'd save a bit by going for an $80 suit ... well, two of the 3 buttons on the suit jacket are hanging by a thread so I have to resew them, and the fly disappeared at the dry cleaners (I noticed this the morning of my NYU interview, in NYC, ... thank god for duct tape). I think I should have shelled out an extra 40-50 bucks for a nicer suit.

4. Not dated a loser who tried to hold me back from going to d-school.Yeah. Thank god I wised up. Seriously, you need to prioritize, and I realized too late in last year's cycle that getting into dental school was more important than spending time with a crappy boyfriend in a crappy relationship when I should have been studying for the DAT.

5. Get straight A's EVERY semester. Okay, so this one probably wasn't entirely possible because I had a few classes where I tried my damndest and received A minuses, but still, it would have been nice :p

By everything submitted, you mean DAT scores in as well? So you would have made sure to take the DAT 6wks before Jun 1st? I am just trying to figure out when the latest I can take the DAT while still being a very early applicant.

No worries. I actually applied early but it was my DAT, which I took in mid September, that slowed my application down. I would say take it no later than the July 4th. The DAT scores takes about ~2 weeks to arrive at the respective schools.

I wish I took my GPA more seriously in freshman and sophomore year. Back then, a B was a good grade. I paid dearly for it by working my butt of and pulling 4.0's in junior year. Like everyone else, I would have also applied earlier (like May 16th!!) and studied harder for the DAT's.

No worries. I actually applied early but it was my DAT, which I took in mid September, that slowed my application down. I would say take it no later than the July 4th. The DAT scores takes about ~2 weeks to arrive at the respective schools.

Oh wow. Thank you for the advice. I made a thread about this because I was thinking about it so much. I want to be early because everyone talks about how much it helps.

Oh wow. Thank you for the advice. I made a thread about this because I was thinking about it so much. I want to be early because everyone talks about how much it helps.

Yea def it does, especially if your stats are lower. Actually, in that case, its almost a must.

having everything in on june 1st would be perfect.. but if you think 1-2 more months will REALLY help (like going from something like 18 to 20s) then that will definitely be better in my opinion. i submitted in june but took DAT in august. got 3 pre dec interviews. nowadays the schools just download your DAT scores online so the schools will get your scores about 2-3 weeks after you take the test.

apply earlier.

im crapping myself over this..

im so depressed

definitely apply earlier... from first-hand, second-hand, and third-hand experience hahaha