What would you major in if you weren't premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JESSFALLING

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious how many of you here would major in something else if you weren't a premed??... without GPA or MCAT worries, and with no premed requirements. (Let's assume parents are giving you 500K trust fund at graduation...so future career doesn't need to pay much:))

I think I'd go Philosophy major

Members don't see this ad.

I'd probably major in something I'd enjoy. Uncannily similar to what I did as a "premed".

Just curious how many of you here would major in something else if you weren't a premed??... without GPA or MCAT worries, and with no premed requirements. (Let's assume parents are giving you 500K trust fund at graduation...so future career doesn't need to pay much:))

What I'm doing now.
Double major bio/phil, chem minor.
Actually interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dbl major in Music and English Literature.
Minor in Arabic or Spanish.

Although I very much do enjoy my current majors: Chemistry and Molecular Bio.

Last edited:
I'd probably major in something I'd enjoy. Uncannily similar to what I did as a "premed".
hehe. ^^ This right here.

Op, are you one of those people who thinks that you have to major in bio or chem in order to get into medical school? Every major has about a 40% acceptance rate. I think music majors have about a 50% acceptance rate. ;)

I majored in German.

In high school, I decided to be a Chem major.

If I had a do over/was not premed, I'd still be a chem major.

I picked something I like, and went for it. never regretted it.

OP, seriously, pick something you enjoy. Makes everything in life a lot less suffocating :thumbup:

Architecture/environmental design, Computer science, comparative religious studies (in that order).

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but if I were to choose a major without worrying about finding a job / paying loans afterward, I'd choose piano composition.

Yep. I quite enjoyed my Rehab Science major.... and it was fun telling interviewers what that actually means :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Psych or english.Same one im interested now, as a premed.

Religious studies.

It was one of my minors. Luckily enough I am taking a few religious studies classes while taking the required classes for med school. Hopefully a GPA boost, and I'll get to finish the major.

Since I'm doing Biomedical Engineering right now, if I wasn't pre-med I'd probably double major in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering...

I might have started out as a Philosophy or Religious studies major though lol

I'd stick with Biochem.

If I wasn't premed, I'd have more time to take other classes due to not having to volunteer/do research and what not.

I'd pick up a geopolitics minor or major if possible

I would still do biology/molecular/microbiology.. But if I didnt have to worry about anything, I would actually spend some time learning new languages.. I love languages..

Uhhhh I would need more than that to even consider doing something else. If I made over 10 million, then I might consider doing philanthropic work instead of being a clinician. I would invest the money and donate to research and new facilities, but I would still be involved in medicine somehow. A medical career earns in the millions over a life time...8MM to 10MM. 500k would do nothing.

If I could do college over again, I would have been Comp. Sci./Biochem double major, with minor in Spanish. Then I wouldn't have been screwed when I was looking for work out of college :)

Either history or International Relations

If I could be a spy I would

I would have majored in chem like my sister. However, she got all the chemistry talent and I struggled to pass organic. I did well in gen chem and analytical though but organic kills me. And, I suck in physics, which most chem majors need to take. I could have done chem but would have probably ended up with a mediocre GPA and never gotten into med.

I would have probably gone with Economics & Statistics.

Poli Sci/Law... :laugh: I've been told by several law students that I'm apparently made for it. :confused:

No one LOLed at 500k trust fund meaning your future career doesn't have to pay that much?

Seriously. 500k is not going to get you very far. 500M is a whole different story.

If I had started playing an instrument at a young enough age, I think I would do music performance (or maybe composition) if I wasn't pre-med.

Computer Science and Business :)

Sometimes I think this is what I should be majoring in anyway.

I'm a Chemistry Major/English Minor.

If I could I'd be

Biochem/English Major Spanish/Music Minor.

The only reason I "can't" is because I don't have room for all of it. So basically this is a "if I could go to college for 6years" answer. I'd do it all! I love learning :)

Mechanical Engineering and Music.

I almost finished a music major, but it would have required me to stay an extra 1.5 years so i switched it to a minor.

Biomedical engineering is fun. MEchanical is more fun.

before I volunteered at a hospital for the first time during high school, I was pretty set on becoming an artist. i love to draw. so I guess if i wasn't premed, i'd do art.

hehe. ^^ This right here.

Op, are you one of those people who thinks that you have to major in bio or chem in order to get into medical school? Every major has about a 40% acceptance rate. I think music majors have about a 50% acceptance rate. ;)

No, I'm a psychology/humanities double major.... I'm just curious how major selection is influenced by the choice to become a premed.

I wouldn't even go to college.

I like manual labor (srs).

Music, English, or Culinary :)
But I like the major I'm taking the most hehe.

No, I'm a psychology/humanities double major.... I'm just curious how major selection is influenced by the choice to become a premed.

It's probably one of the bigger factors in deciding one's major. I know personally that if I weren't premed, I would never even consider majoring in solely in psychology or biology, it simply isn't worth it in my opinion.

But, if I were to receive a hefty trust fund, which would remove financial worries from my life permanently, then I probably would be able to rationalize getting a PhD, and then never being hired for a teaching position or half way decent research position until my 48th post-doc.

I would Major in wordpress design!!

I'm a biochem major... so I'd still be biochem. I love what I study. :)

If I didn't want to go into medicine, I would have gone for a Pol Sci major

If I had no interest in medicine, I'd probably be majoring in graphic design or photography right now. I only wish there was a way to fit in being a double bio/art major without going more than four years.

Hmmm...whatevever major gets me a job at Game Informer writing video game reviews. Professional writing I'm guessing?

I'm currently majoring in Psych w/ a Chem minor, ~both of which I happen to love, BUT if I weren't planning on going on to grad school? I'd be a career student (I'm such a nerd): majors and prolly some masters in spanish, french, english lit, humanities, music, art . . .

Last edited:
I'd still be majoring in bio, but if I didn't do pre-med and/nor want to graduate in 4 years I would tack on a second major. Probably visual arts or philosophy. Any duo of bio or visual arts or chem. Actually, I might just switch to art school.

originally posted by thelens
If I had no interest in medicine, I'd probably be majoring in graphic design or photography right now. I only wish there was a way to fit in being a double bio/art major without going more than four years.
Yep.

I'm sure I would stay with what I am going for now, Psychology. Although if I had the funds I would probably minor in IT as well +pissed+