What would you say if someone asked you why you picked the D.O. over M.D.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoboCommander

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say your stats make you borderline competitive for an M.D. program. What would you say if someone asked you why you picked the D.O. over M.D.? Especially since I am NOT planning to go into primary care.

For me, it's because I wanted a better chance to stay in California since the M.D. programs in California I could not get into when I applied last year. But what are the reasons other than "because D.O. is easier to get into"?

Members don't see this ad.

Say your stats make you borderline competitive for an M.D. program. What would you say if someone asked you why you picked the D.O. over M.D.? Especially since I am NOT planning to go into primary care.

For me, it's because I wanted a better chance to stay in California since the M.D. programs in California I could not get into when I applied last year. But what are the reasons other than "because D.O. is easier to get into"?

Some people actually prefer this route anyway. For me, if I ultimately go to a DO school and have an MD acceptance, it will be because I have an interest in OMM.

I had md competitive stats, with a 3.8 and 29O mcat. I got on a couple MD waitlists one cycle, but this cycle I only applied to schools in my region which limited me. I'm heading to DMU this august, i think its a great school with a lot of history and I have spent time with some alumni.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had md competitive stats, with a 3.8 and 29O mcat. I got on a couple MD waitlists one cycle, but this cycle I only applied to schools in my region which limited me. I'm heading to DMU this august, i think its a great school with a lot of history and I have spent time with some alumni.

DMU is an amazing school and I am kinda upset I couldn't get a DO letter so I could apply there.

Some people actually prefer this route anyway. For me, if I ultimately go to a DO school and have an MD acceptance, it will be because I have an interest in OMM.

Don't M.D. programs also offer OMM training now? I'm wondering if there is an advantage of DO over MD other than location.

Don't M.D. programs also offer OMM training now? I'm wondering if there is an advantage of DO over MD other than location.

I'm sure many M.D. programs do offer CME courses in OMM because I know that Harvard Medical school offers this and you know how everyone follows that school. Check out Harvards page about their course. Some might be interested in the fact that the entire faculty for this course are D.O's.

I think Taking OMM over the course of a D.O. school education would be an advantage over taking a CME type course in OMM. However, overall I don't think that D.O programs have any benefit over M.D. programs or vice versa based on the degree... but of course I do believe some D.O. schools may be better than other D.O schools and some M.D. schools better than other M.D. schools... some D.O schools better than some M.D. schools and every other possible combination... But above all, some schools are better for one individual and that is the most important thing.

I would say why not? Lol I would also add since DOs look at the person as a whole as a future Neurologist I will be doing the same. If the person has a headache or something I will be asking the patient if they have fallen and hurt yourself or something? Maybe something unrelated can cause the headache. Lol I know I'm just saying, besides that I find DO more "fun".

For me I'll just say it's the only type of medical school I got into... it's the truth, so there's no shame in that... could have done better as an undergrad but didn't. Regardless, I still intend to be an amazing physician.

I actually had both an MD acceptance and a DO acceptance, and I chose the DO school. There were definitely lots of reasons, but the top reasons were because the DO school was in a more desirable geographical area for me, it is much closer to my family, and because I think I will learn better with their curriculum. Each school gave me a different feeling, and had its pros/cons, but in the end, you make the best decision for your specific situation, and it shouldn't be based on the initials after your name :)

Well, the real question is what's underneath your need to justify your choice? You the made the choice that you thought was best for you. I don't see a legitimate reason to question it or justify it, unless it is a choice you yourself are not comfortable with. Adults don't need to justify their personal choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
Regardless, I still intend to be an amazing physician.

Best thing I've read in this thread.

I got accepted to both MD and DO and I chose DO for nothing other than the fact that as a physician, I too want to be amazing and I personally believe that an Osteopathic education will provide me with the most tools to serve my patients.

How exactly is being a DO more "fun" than being an "MD"?

Is there a difference in the quality of women at DO schools?

I find DO more "fun" because of omm. I think that's one of the coolest things I ever seen in healthcare. A DO who I shadowed in the past showed me some cool omm moves. Atleast that's fun to me maybe not to you.

I would say why not? Lol I would also add since DOs look at the person as a whole as a future Neurologist I will be doing the same. If the person has a headache or something I will be asking the patient if they have fallen and hurt yourself or something? Maybe something unrelated can cause the headache. Lol I know I'm just saying, besides that I find DO more "fun".

Good call. An MD neurologist would never think to ask "Was your headache preempted by, oh I don't know, smashing it into a concrete wall fifty or sixty times?"

Good call. An MD neurologist would never think to ask "Was your headache preempted by, oh I don't know, smashing it into a concrete wall fifty or sixty times?"

Yeah those darn MD neurologists lol if my neurologists read this they probably kick my a**.

I picked a school, not a degree designation. I had DO and MD schools to consider...but the SCHOOL I picked was my top choice.

Um, heh, not the best example, my friend. First of all, HA's are nebulous to begin with and it certainly requires a good workup. Every physician will have to do a very thorough physical and history, which includes a neurological exam. Is it primary or secondary? Is it a neuropsychiatric problem, an infection of some sort, related to some trauma, or a malignancy of some type? It could be as simple as a tension HA, a dangerous hematoma, related to a bacterial or viral infection, or even a prolactinoma, for example. How you go through it isn't related to whether one is an MD or a DO. Either way, you have go through your differential and rule things out or in, depending on how the pt presents, etc. You start by casting a wide net, and then narrowing it down... Order tests, etc. This is rather standard, I'm afraid. Being a DO isn't going to give you some kind of special insight into the process, unless you are going to go down the cranial route and talk about CRI's, etc. And that's a whole other thread...

To the OP....

Tell the adcom/interviewers you are really interested in primary care and you thought D.O. schools provide the best opportunity to realize that interest. Strait from the horses mouth. In this case the 'horse' is a PCP D.O. buddy I play basketball with who is on the admissions committee at an osteopathic school giving me the 'insider' advice.

That's to get in to the school. Whether you actually pursue primary care during your 3rd/4th year is completely irrelevant to the answers you need to provide during an interview.

I shall respond to your question with a question of my own. Just how much do you enjoy happy hour?

Hahaha there is a saying that D.O.'s are the students who went to one too many happy hours instead of spending their free time in the library.;)

Is there any truth to this, probably not, but I still get a good laugh over it.

If someone asks me I'll answer honestly. I applied to a ton of schools and wasn't offered an acceptance to an MD school. Thus the choice never came up. Had it come up, given what I've learned in the past year I would say I probably would have chosen CCOM over some of the MD schools I applied to, but not all of them.

What it boils down to is you should pick the school that suits you the best. I liken it to picking a girlfriend. Ya, you might be able to land the one with supermodel looks (aka most prestigious), but if she is a ditz and you can't stand it when she opens her mouth, is this really the best thing for you? Heeellllllzz no! If you're going to be with her for a while (aka your degree for life). You want one that you enjoy spending time with (aka attending) and the one where you're not just focused on the end goal for the night (aka graduating).

Of course, this is just my opinion. :D

Last edited:
To the OP....

Tell the adcom/interviewers you are really interested in primary care and you thought D.O. schools provide the best opportunity to realize that interest. Strait from the horses mouth. In this case the 'horse' is a PCP D.O. buddy I play basketball with on the admissions committee at an osteopathic school giving me the 'insider' advice.

I would only do that if it can be sincere, otherwise they can call your bluff. If you play that game, make sure you can back it up. There are certainly ways to be diplomatically honest.

I recall once mentioning some interest in rural medicine and one of my interviewers jumped all over that and preceded to question me extensively over it. I handled it fine, because I was in fact genuinely curious about rural medicine.

Yes, definitely play the game, but also be as genuine as possible. This is good in several ways. However, one that perhaps pre-meds don't think about too often is that you are interviewing the school as much as they are interviewing you. It would suck to go to a school that didn't fit you well and whose mission didn't match your goals.

Last edited:
To the OP....

Tell the adcom/interviewers you are really interested in primary care and you thought D.O. schools provide the best opportunity to realize that interest. Strait from the horses mouth. In this case the 'horse' is a PCP D.O. buddy I play basketball with who is on the admissions committee at an osteopathic school giving me the 'insider' advice.

That's to get in to the school. Whether you actually pursue primary care during your 3rd/4th year is completely irrelevant to the answers you need to provide during an interview.

I straight up told them I was interested in plastic reconstructive surgery and they didn't say a thing about it ! Maybe if you are lacking in the social skills department you can throw out the kind of things they may be looking for, but it is not necessary if you have any sort of personality.

I've had great success with DO's both in treatment and shadowing. That being said, I really like the additional OMM skill set acquired during school. I don't plan to utilize OMM but I feel it can only help in diagnosing.

As an ex: An Ortho MD told me he wished he had the muscloskeletal training his DO partner received during med school.

I straight up told them I was interested in plastic reconstructive surgery and they didn't say a thing about it ! Maybe if you are lacking in the social skills department you can throw out the kind of things they may be looking for, but it is not necessary if you have any sort of personality.

I completely agree. This came up in nearly every interview and I never hesitated to say PC was currently not my first choice (though it may change in time).

Um, heh, not the best example, my friend. First of all, HA's are nebulous to begin with and it certainly requires a good workup. Every physician will have to do a very thorough physical and history, which includes a neurological exam. Is it primary or secondary? Is it a neuropsychiatric problem, an infection of some sort, related to some trauma, or a malignancy of some type? It could be as simple as a tension HA, a dangerous hematoma, related to a bacterial or viral infection, or even a prolactinoma, for example. How you go through it isn't related to whether one is an MD or a DO. Either way, you have go through your differential and rule things out or in, depending on how the pt presents, etc. You start by casting a wide net, and then narrowing it down... Order tests, etc. This is rather standard, I'm afraid. Being a DO isn't going to give you some kind of special insight into the process, unless you are going to go down the cranial route and talk about CRI's, etc. And that's a whole other thread...

lol i knew it wasnt the best example i wrote that in class when i got bored :(

Thanks for the great insight though :thumbup:

I don't know about the MD schools, but any licensed MD can take CME courses in OMM. The question is, does that make the MD an "osteopathic physician?" ;)

Would you consider a neurologist that learned OMM in medical school an osteopathic physician? It is the way you practice medicine. An MD practicing OMM would be considered an osteopathic physician in my book.

I'm attracted to osteopathic programs because of their programs. I want to go to school with people who generally have more life experience, because my life experiences have been varied and make it easier for me to fit in with the more non-traditional student. I like the "feel" of a lot of the schools and what they have to say. If I got into an MD school with a program I wasn't enthusiastic about but also got into a PBL osteopathic school, I would go osteopathic. However, if the situation was reversed, I would take the MD school (UT Galveston would be my #1 choice in programs, hands down).

I applied to schools that would give me the best shot at being a physician. I didn't care whether it was MD or DO. Due to some critical mistakes I made my second year of college, I was pretty much screwed at MD schools due to my low gpa. I retook classes and was accepted to a DO school. I didn't give a rats a** what the initials behind my name were. I am glad I have been given the opportunity to be a doctor and serve my country as such

Say, "it's the closest school that would take me." What's the big deal in that?

I see an MD neurologist who totally digs getting OMM for headache help. He works in conjunction with a DO to better serve patients who have had neuro issues as a result of a accident. It was really neat to see the impact on his practice.