You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
6
673441
Use more board prep material didactically with course work. Also, develop a routine that includes being more social. Work out more!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
D
deleted746658
relax
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
work out so you don't get fat
If I spoke to pre-med version of myself, whatever I would say would probably convince myself to quit before starting
Do as well as you can. The minutia that people say they use to answer random step questions isn't the minutia at your school, don't sweat it. Exercise more
Get a FA and memorize the crap out of it and use it along with your courses.
Make more friends in medical school, and don't put all your outside effort into your relationship.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/unsolicited-advice-for-incoming-students.844482/
this is a good one written by @owlegrad
I'll post some of mine later
this is a good one written by @owlegrad
I'll post some of mine later
Last edited:
"I just want to pass" - bad mentality to have?
at the same time, don't beat yourself up for it
and
How to maintain mental health while in medical school?
at the same time, don't beat yourself up for it
and
How to maintain mental health while in medical school?
"I just want to pass" - bad mentality to have?
at the same time, don't beat yourself up for it
and
How to maintain mental health while in medical school?
Yay you quoted my thread! I feel special 😀
Honestly, I'm not trying to be bitter. But I truly would say "find something else to pursue." Do I enjoy medicine? Yeah, sure. I just don't think it's worth the sacrifices. I'm sure most people think it's worth it, and that's fine. To each his own. You really won't know until you're in it though, in my opinion.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) first semester, don't get fancy. Don't open step 1.. Do your best in courses.
2) do USMLE-RX and Sketchymedical with systems
3) not much else. I'm an average B student with a robust family/exercise/interests life outside school and I have not killed myself trying to boost class rank or anything. Done well on practice exams so far.
2) do USMLE-RX and Sketchymedical with systems
3) not much else. I'm an average B student with a robust family/exercise/interests life outside school and I have not killed myself trying to boost class rank or anything. Done well on practice exams so far.
I would honestly tell myself (as a current rising M2) - " Self, you must understand, medical school is not supposed to be fun." You can have fun during med school, but the purpose is to study, learn, and pass tests. Anything that is great, but not the point of why I'm here.
Figure out your study system and stick to it. The worst sections during most of med school were when I tried to change up how I studied because I didn't think what I was doing would work or I just wanted to do better. Tweak stuff as needed, but don't overhaul your study methods unless you absolutely need to.
Hey everyone,
I've looked around, but can't find any relevant threads. I'm starting medical school this fall and wanted to know: What would you, if anything, say to yourself back in MS1 or wished you had known when starting medical school?
Thanks!
Study more. Study consistently. It all adds up. The specific grades do actually matter. It will translate into a better step score. You will have more options - there is a big difference between deciding to do a specialty and having to do a specialty. Focus on test questions especially for step 1. Smoke less weed. Actually smoke a lot less weed. Maybe consider not smoking weed at all. Sleep more. Don't just date the slutty girls. Play less video games. Get outside more.
Stop stressing out....you will be fine
Buy sketchy micro now and go along with it in classes.
Buy sketchy micro now and go along with it in classes.
As a current resident I would tell my MS1 self to pay more attention during the physical exam course.
This is the most 1 on 1 attention you will get performing every aspect of the physical exam for the rest of your career. After that people just expect you to know it.
This is the most 1 on 1 attention you will get performing every aspect of the physical exam for the rest of your career. After that people just expect you to know it.
You're not the only one freaking out (about just about anything).
Just do what you normally do.
1. Remember that you're not the only one experiencing stress and to seek help for any destructive behaviors before they get out of hand.
2. Enjoy getting to know others but don't let excessive drama keep you from rocking your studies.
3. You'll watch friend after friend get married, have children, buy houses, all before you're out of residency. Remember that there is no Shangri-la. We all reach our goals in different ways at different rates.
4. Find a few songs that calm you and keep them handy for stressful days.
5. By and large you are worth the investment you made.
6. Don't be preoccupied with specialty until you have to pick one. Go with something you can do forever regardless of notoriety or popular opinion.
7. I agree with everyone on here to exercise more, keeping your health is essential!
2. Enjoy getting to know others but don't let excessive drama keep you from rocking your studies.
3. You'll watch friend after friend get married, have children, buy houses, all before you're out of residency. Remember that there is no Shangri-la. We all reach our goals in different ways at different rates.
4. Find a few songs that calm you and keep them handy for stressful days.
5. By and large you are worth the investment you made.
6. Don't be preoccupied with specialty until you have to pick one. Go with something you can do forever regardless of notoriety or popular opinion.
7. I agree with everyone on here to exercise more, keeping your health is essential!
Absolutely agree with this one.1. Remember that you're not the only one experiencing stress and to seek help for any destructive behaviors before they get out of hand.
2. Enjoy getting to know others but don't let excessive drama keep you from rocking your studies.
3. You'll watch friend after friend get married, have children, buy houses, all before you're out of residency. Remember that there is no Shangri-la. We all reach our goals in different ways at different rates.
4. Find a few songs that calm you and keep them handy for stressful days.
5. By and large you are worth the investment you made.
6. Don't be preoccupied with specialty until you have to pick one. Go with something you can do forever regardless of notoriety or popular opinion.
7. I agree with everyone on here to exercise more, keeping your health is essential!
Figure out the best way to optimize your time as soon as possible then fit in time on your calendar for the gym
First semester I went to class, studied all day, didn't work out much and spent most weekends working.
Second semester I stopped going to class and started watching online lecture, went to the gym 5 times a week, took on leadership activities, watched netflix again, and began volunteering.... oh and all my block grades went up too somehow.
Depends on what works for you... so try out different things early on so your not stuck in a rut for a whole semester like I was. It was lame.
First semester I went to class, studied all day, didn't work out much and spent most weekends working.
Second semester I stopped going to class and started watching online lecture, went to the gym 5 times a week, took on leadership activities, watched netflix again, and began volunteering.... oh and all my block grades went up too somehow.
Depends on what works for you... so try out different things early on so your not stuck in a rut for a whole semester like I was. It was lame.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Take biochem seriously. And if I could do it again, I'd get some notable review book to work along side classes with.
It's my worst subject, and I basically have to relearn it now - with no familiar text to aid in the process
It's my worst subject, and I basically have to relearn it now - with no familiar text to aid in the process

1. Eat better. I gained a lot of weight.
2. Pay attention to your mental health. Every medical student has doubts and problems, if you think you need help, get help. Ive had classmates drop because they cracked and couldn't handle the pressure.
3. Keep binders of all subjects for step 1 studying.
4. Obtain the trifecta of step 1: First Aid, Pathoma, Uworld.
5. BRS physio might help with classes
2. Pay attention to your mental health. Every medical student has doubts and problems, if you think you need help, get help. Ive had classmates drop because they cracked and couldn't handle the pressure.
3. Keep binders of all subjects for step 1 studying.
4. Obtain the trifecta of step 1: First Aid, Pathoma, Uworld.
5. BRS physio might help with classes
Study more. Study consistently. It all adds up. The specific grades do actually matter. It will translate into a better step score. You will have more options - there is a big difference between deciding to do a specialty and having to do a specialty. Focus on test questions especially for step 1. Smoke less weed. Actually smoke a lot less weed. Maybe consider not smoking weed at all. Sleep more. Don't just date the slutty girls. Play less video games. Get outside more.
Lol, did you ever actually go to medschool?
Lol, did you ever actually go to medschool?
Sometimes. I probably should have gone to more of it.
Figure out what resources you're going to use during your dedicated time for step 1 and put together a schedule to get through them multiple times over the first two years.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
This isn't going to appeal to everybody, but I'd consider pre-reading for a lot of subjects you are completely unfamiliar with. You can't always do this, since one has to juggle time constraints and prioritize exams, but it seemed like I got a lot more out of lecture when I read ahead. I find that information that is presented in a lecture format makes more sense if I can assimilate it into some existing body of knowledge, however incomplete it may be. Everyone is different, but that seemed to work for me. A lot of subjects I encountered just by showing up to lecture I pretty much had to teach to myself at a later date, when reviewing for boards, or preparing for wards.
Thanks for being so honest.This isn't going to appeal to everybody, but I'd consider pre-reading for a lot of subjects you are completely unfamiliar with. You can't always do this, since one has to juggle time constraints and prioritize exams, but it seemed like I got a lot more out of lecture when I read ahead. I find that information that is presented in a lecture format makes more sense if I can assimilate it into some existing body of knowledge, however incomplete it may be. Everyone is different, but that seemed to work for me. A lot of subjects I encountered just by showing up to lecture I pretty much had to teach to myself at a later date, when reviewing for boards, or preparing for wards.
Shadow more in the hospital and maybe go on rounds 2-3 times/year and practice presenting.
I didn't understand how to third year when I started and it has been rough.
I didn't understand how to third year when I started and it has been rough.
Shadow more in the hospital and maybe go on rounds 2-3 times/year and practice presenting.
I didn't understand how to third year when I started and it has been rough.
Do you think they will let you go on rounds as a hospital volunteer?
i wouldn't bother until actually in medical school because you won't understand any of it/you'll forget all of t 2 seconds laterDo you think they will let you go on rounds as a hospital volunteer?
Shadow more in the hospital and maybe go on rounds 2-3 times/year and practice presenting.
I didn't understand how to third year when I started and it has been rough.
Is this common practice during the preclinical years?
Don't have sex with ur histology professor.
Is this common practice during the preclinical years?
Is this common practice during the preclinical years?
I mean if you shadow you are going to see rounds basically so what I'm proposing isn't really any different from just shadowing more.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Do you think they will let you go on rounds as a hospital volunteer?
No need to do it that early. Wait for med school and don't go overboard. I'm just suggesting gaining more familiarity with the logistics of rounding and see a med students role.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My school requires at least a few days of it. But you'd be stupid not to, honestly. Having an idea what you like/don't like is also important and the sooner the betterIs this common practice during the preclinical years?
Knock on each study room before you enter. you never know who you catch making out
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Oh here's another one.
If you find research or a specialty you have a baseline interest in then pursue it. Don't be crippled by indecision like me. I didn't act because "How can I know if that research will end up being in the field I enter". Stupid move.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
If you find research or a specialty you have a baseline interest in then pursue it. Don't be crippled by indecision like me. I didn't act because "How can I know if that research will end up being in the field I enter". Stupid move.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Quit now before it's too late.
Did they not have clinical skills tests at your school?Shadow more in the hospital and maybe go on rounds 2-3 times/year and practice presenting.
I didn't understand how to third year when I started and it has been rough.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 567