What would you tell your MS2 self?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Statemed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw the "What would you tell your MS1 self?" yesterday posted by @YLFounder and I really liked the idea as well as the feedback it received. I couldn't find anything for MS II so I thought I'd start one. Having finished first year recently, myself and thousands of peers would appreciate any tips, advice, feedback, or insight on your MS II personal experience, and the things you would do differently in hindsight, if any.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
1.) It is okay to skip non-mandatory lectures and just watch recordings at 2x speed, no one really cares.
2.) Start preparing for Step when you want to and ignore naysayers. You will get the score you want if you are willing to put in the work.
3.) Getting Low-B's, C's, and maybe even a F or two on school work is an okay price to pay if it means you are putting all your effort into Step 1.
4.) Still put effort into clinical skills classes and develop your history taking and physical exam, because 3rd year is around the corner.
5.) You will not know what specialty(ies) you want to pursue until 3rd year. Focus on studying and leave specialty decisions for then.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Buy first aid and pathoma early and follow along in classes.
As you get closer to the end of 2nd year start going through a section a day of pathoma so that you finish a fresh pass before dedicated.
Have fun as the college lifestyle is rapidly coming to an end.
Drink more beers and eat more pizzas.

Reactions: 2 users
prepare yourself for less sleep. get a grade buffer as much as you can in your classes leading up to Step 1...and then study like hell for step 1. Also, dont listen to the gunners about "how worried they are that they only did 3 blocks of UWORLD in a day" starting in December.

Honestly I'd tell my M2 self not to worry so much about Step 1. You're previous two years have hopefully prepared you well. And looking back, for any non-ultra competitive specialty, the difference between a 220-230 and a 240+ is minimal given the rising importance of step 2 CK. Have fun and enjoy your last pre-clinical year!

Reactions: 1 user
don't stress out. make time for family. exercise. eat. sleep. get ready to study like you have never done before, but in all honesty... it really isn't that bad

Honestly I'd tell my M2 self not to worry so much about Step 1. You're previous two years have hopefully prepared you well. And looking back, for any non-ultra competitive specialty, the difference between a 220-230 and a 240+ is minimal given the rising importance of step 2 CK. Have fun and enjoy your last pre-clinical year!

Having fun is a must.

Everyone has different experiences, however let's not belittle the importance of Step 1. While you are correct, the significance of Step 2 CK is on the rise, it is far from superseding the importance of Step 1. Placing the term "ultra-competitive" aside, we should keep in mind that a 230 is the current average, the top of the bell curve assuming a normalized distribution. Getting a 220 could potentially knock you out of consideration for residency at many renowned medical institutions, even in specialties that are often deemed "non-competitive" (IMED, Pediatrics, Anesthesia, etc.). Therefore, the difference between a 220 and 240+ is quite substantial.

Lastly, at many schools, pre-clinical lectures/exams are a joke in comparison to what actually goes into Step 1 preparation (pathoma, FA, uworld, etc). I agree that pre-clinical preparation can make Step prep an easier experience, but it is not enough; preparation with outside materials is essential to get a good score.

Last edited:
Having fun is a must.

Everyone has different experiences, however let's not belittle the importance of Step 1. While you are correct, the significance of Step 2 CK is on the rise, it is far from superseding the importance of Step 1. Placing the term "ultra-competitive" aside, we should keep in mind that a 230 is the current average, the top of the bell curve assuming a normalized distribution. Getting a 220 could potentially knock you out of consideration for residency at many renowned medical institutions, even in specialties that are often deemed "non-competitive" (IMED, Pediatrics, Anesthesia, etc.). Therefore, the difference between a 220 and 240+ is quite substantial.

Lastly, at many schools, pre-clinical lectures/exams are a joke in comparison to what actually goes into Step 1 preparation (pathoma, FA, uworld, etc). I agree that pre-clinical preparation can make Step prep an easier experience, but it is not enough; preparation with outside materials is essential to get a good score.

That's a weird list of noncompetitive specialties. IM and anesthesia are very competitive at the renowned medical institutions, not sure about peds. It's more like 240s+ to interview there from what I've seen

Last edited:
That's a weird list of noncompetitive specialties. IM and anesthesia are very competitive at the renowned medical institutions, not sure about peds. It's more like 240s+ to interview there from what I've seen

I agree, they are competitive. That was the idea I meant to convey with the quotations around the word "non-competitive." A 220 could knock someone out of the running for IMED, Anesthesia, or Peds at prime institutions.

Pathoma with class.
Sketchymicro with class.
Sketchypharm with class (now that it's all out).
FA with class.
Rx qbank with class (get your feet wet with 20 or less questions per day at most in the beginning).
Don't be afraid to start UWorld near the end and drop Rx.
Figure out how you will study during dedicated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking forward to going to even less classes.

Pathoma w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶c̶l̶a̶s̶s̶.
Sketchymicro w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶c̶l̶a̶s̶s̶.
Sketchypharm w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶c̶l̶a̶s̶s̶ (now that it's all out).
FA w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶c̶l̶a̶s̶s̶.
Rx qbank w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶c̶l̶a̶s̶s̶ (get your feet wet with 20 or less questions per day at most in the beginning).
Don't be afraid to start UWorld near the end and drop Rx.
Figure out how you will study during dedicated.
FTFY.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd say, "Pass classes - they don't predict much. You are being a purist by thinking they do and stop trying to become Harrison's Jr. Study for boards with high yield materials."

Chill out. The only person you are competing with is yourself.

pGY3

Spend more time on campus, all the hot girls are in the dental program

Reactions: 5 users
Spend more time on campus, all the hot girls are in the dental program

Hottest girls are in pharmacy or pa school

Nursing students got that anti-doctor chip installed in them. Dental students are a little too high strung from all the lab they have to do.

Reactions: 6 users

Nursing students got that anti-doctor chip installed in them. Dental students are a little too high strung from all the lab they have to do.

I second the notion of hot PA chicks

Sketchy, USMLE-RX and Pathoma through systems.

Start board study 4-6 months out at 1-2 hours a day. Let the grades dip a bit if that's the price. Grades are nice, but a decent step 1 and who you know or get to know will likely play a much bigger role in what you do.

You mean the physician "associate" girls? I dont know why people think PAs wouldn't get out of pocket like NPs, they are already talking about how equal they are. Every wants to be that dude, nobody wants to do all the damn studying it takes to be that dude. There is no hope for nurses, they are taught to hate physicians from day one is such a spiteful, jealous, insecure way I know I was enrolled in an RN program before. The thing that confuses me is ow med schools teach med students to " love nurses" and how they are the greatest thing in the world.

1. Relax. Step 1 is just a test, and it's just one day.
2. Do as well in classes as you possibly can - it really will serve you well come test time.
3. Uworld one pass through while repeatedly going through FA and Pathoma. Sprinkle in practice tests with Uworld incorrects. Done.
4. Some other school-specific BS

I will starting MS2 this fall. I've been trying to research the best resources. Seemingly, they are FA, Pathoma, USMLERx, Sketchy Micro, and UWorld. Question: Everyone always says to use Pathoma through systems, do you mean just reading the book, or do I need to watch the videos as well???? I ask because I can find the Pathoma book by itself, pretty cheap online, but it does not come with access to everything else. Thanks

I will starting MS2 this fall. I've been trying to research the best resources. Seemingly, they are FA, Pathoma, USMLERx, Sketchy Micro, and UWorld. Question: Everyone always says to use Pathoma through systems, do you mean just reading the book, or do I need to watch the videos as well???? I ask because I can find the Pathoma book by itself, pretty cheap online, but it does not come with access to everything else. Thanks

The book by itself is garbage. Pathoma is all about the videos.

Follow along classes with FA, pathoma, sketchymicro/picmonic from day 1 (not hardcore though) along with some questions (USMLERx, firecracker) here and there so that by the time you're maybe 4-5 months from the exam, you've already decently gone through the material. Then hit UWorld and continue through the other materials.

Nursing students got that anti-doctor chip installed in them.

Just the other day I was walking the halls and heard a nursing professor speaking around a group of nursing students. One student asks:

"So, the main difference between a physician and a NP is the licensing exam they take?"

Nurse Prof: "Essentially..."

When I walked by in my short white coat they stopped talking and looked at me in unison.

Reactions: 9 users
Just the other day I was walking the halls and heard a nursing professor speaking around a group of nursing students. One student asks:

"So, the main difference between a physician and a NP is the licensing exam they take?"

Nurse Prof: "Essentially..."

When I walked by in my short white coat they stopped talking and looked at me in unison.

It's funny because actual nurses that work in hospitals are very aware of the huge difference. Then again we have some people claiming to be attendings here who say they don't so who knows

You mean the physician "associate" girls? I dont know why people think PAs wouldn't get out of pocket like NPs, they are already talking about how equal they are. Every wants to be that dude, nobody wants to do all the damn studying it takes to be that dude. There is no hope for nurses, they are taught to hate physicians from day one is such a spiteful, jealous. The thing that confuses me is ow med schools teach med students to " love nurses" and how they are the greatest thing in the world.

This will fall into place your first night of call. You will start to hate nurses.

I saw the "What would you tell your MS1 self?" yesterday posted by @YLFounder and I really liked the idea as well as the feedback it received. I couldn't find anything for MS II so I thought I'd start one. Having finished first year recently, myself and thousands of peers would appreciate any tips, advice, feedback, or insight on your MS II personal experience, and the things you would do differently in hindsight, if any.

Thanks!

I am in my dedicated period and this pertains to it.
Take the advice of everyone here (myself included) with a grain of salt. There is trillions of ways to study for Step 1 and be successful.
Some hints about dedicated period that are MY OPINION:

Take notes in Uworld. It's faster than annotating FA (opinion).

Consider using Brosephelon's ANKI deck which you can find on ANKI. It goes through First AID.

SDN is literally split 50-50 on this and I am on #Team_Do_UWorld_Once_Before_Dedicated

Don't waste your time with the company made flashcards like Lange/Netters...but Microcards is decent. They're WAY too passive.

I think everyone's said this so this goes without saying but stick to UFAP.

Don't scoff at SketchyMicro/Pharm like I did initially and do them concurrently with classes.

Space your memorization (don't just learn a bunch of crap and never review it). One of the things people don't recognize about why UWorld is so awesome is that it covers so many topics in one question that the chances of the same topic showing up a couple of days later is high which is what makes UWorld an ideal learning tool.

UWorld is a learning tool. Don't ever let low UWorld scores slow you down. I know someone who started with mid40s% and ended up with a 242.

Most importantly, FOCUS on your classes 2nd year! This is probably the best way to set yourself well for Step 1. All the Step 1 gods I know did very well first and second year and come dedicated, they actually studied less. This advice doesn't actually contradict what many of those say above when they say it's ok to neglect classes to study for Step. What they mean is don't waste time combing the coursepack for minutiae to get honors. Just learn to RECOGNIZE and master every pathology, but no need to get tied down in the minutiae which you'll learn to recognize.

Reactions: 3 users
Can't be said enough, but Pathoma at the start of every single section. Took me too long to realize it and had to play come catch up during dedicated time with the early systems because of it. Also, do Kaplan or Rx Qbanks with each section/system and start doing 3-4 Uworld blocks a week starting second semester. Biggest regret I have was not having more questions under my belt before starting dedicated time.

Even though Step 2 is really important, I'd recommend checking out Epocrates or something similar so you can see what is actually important clinically.

I feel like I wasted a lot of time trying to memorize facts that turned out to be less clinically relevant than I thought they'd be. Ideally they'd have a medical school for dummies book, but really there is so much information out there the most important thing is to find out what is important. You're studying to pass exams, but ideally you're also learning things that will be important to you later.

Enjoy not having to pretend you're interested in everything going on. Leave class if it's not helpful, but study that material at home. Highlight a lot. Try your best to synthesize the information, not just absorb it.

You mean the physician "associate" girls? I dont know why people think PAs wouldn't get out of pocket like NPs, they are already talking about how equal they are. Every wants to be that dude, nobody wants to do all the damn studying it takes to be that dude. There is no hope for nurses, they are taught to hate physicians from day one is such a spiteful, jealous, insecure way I know I was enrolled in an RN program before. The thing that confuses me is ow med schools teach med students to " love nurses" and how they are the greatest thing in the world.
Because nurses are your eyes and ears. I was an RN for YEARS before medical school and you will absolutely need your nurses. Physicians couldn't do their jobs without nurses to implement the plan so the sooner medical students learn to work well with nurses the better.

“bro we pass boards and don’t an hero, keep it up”

Way to necro-bump an unrelated point...but hey I think this is a good thread to resurrect at this time of year as M1-2's gear up for the next step so...

I'd say, yes it's true that the next few months be some of the most career-defining moments for you but it's important to maintain physical fitness and not fall into negative thought patterns. Don't let one off day turn into two. Try to keep streaks going. When you break a streak, try to piece another one together. Keep commitments with people close in your life because a few hours won't make a difference. Lost time feels better when it's spent doing something out with friends than at home in front of a computer screen.

Last edited: