Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

what you guys do?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by jtorres, Nov 30, 2005.

1. jtorres

jtorres Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i have it dead set in my heart that i want to be an osteopathic physician. problem is that they are so expensive. i live in texas and we do have one public osteo school so that works in my favor but there are 7 med schools in this state (8 if you include Baylor). that gives me an 1 in 7 or 8 chance of becoming a DO. i could always go out-of-state or to a private osteo school but that will end up costing me an arm and a leg. Texas in known for inexpensive tuition, it has amongst the lowest in the country for med school. given the choice between a state allo school or private/out-of-state osteo school what would you guys choose?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    No contest. Go to a Texas school.

(I'm a Texas resident.)

4. Jack Swift

Jack Swift In the program
    7+ Year Member

if you can get into an in-state allopathic school by all means go there but if your heart is in osteopathic medicine you cant be too picky because there arent many of them around. I sometimes worry about the cost of medical school but i try to remember that the interest in school loans are fairly low and as a doctor you could probably pay it off in no time. :)

5. dr.z

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would pick state allo school.

6. jtorres

jtorres Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks for your replies. i guess preparing myself for the strong possiblility that i might have to go MD is something i should start working on. man, no OMM. thats gotta succ.

7. WestcoastMedicine

WestcoastMedicine Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I have had many physicians tell me not to worry about the money. If this is what you truly want to do then go for it. I am taking out all stafford loans. The interest is covered while I am in school for a portion of it and the rest is a resonable rate (4.7%). PCOM is def one of the more expensive schools, but hey this is what I want to do. You will be able to pay it off, whether working for 15 years to pay back your loans or through a government program. There is always the military option, also if you go into primary care you can work in an underserved area and have your loans repayed by the government(it is a little more in depth than that, but that is the idea of it). Personally, I am taking out $38,500 a year from the government and have some personal savings. $160K is a lot, but it is doable.

8. FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    work you ass of to get into the one osteopathic schools. who knows, you might just get accepted.