What'd you guys think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jordews

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm so glad the MCAT's are over, but I wanna see what you guys thought of the test. THis is my second time to take it, and I can't tell if I was just better prepared this time, but I thought the test was unusually easy. Every passage in the physical sciences was very simplistic, as well as the bio. I must admit that the verbal was pretty hard. There was one passage that was ridiculous, and even after I read it twice I still had no idea what it was talking about. But with the exception of the verbal being hard, overall I thought it was pretty straightforward. Whatd you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

jordews,

What test form did you have?

I had test form EK...I thought the verbal was difficult.

i agree, physical and bio was easy. although physical had some tricky questions at second glance. nonethless, overall the sciences were easy. the verbal was hard, i thought.... freaking so many social/humanities political ****. oh well. i honestly have no idea if i got a 6 or an 11 on verbal.. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I had AH, yah the verbal was so rough. I know I did better than last time, and I got a 7 last time. I think I answered all the questions that I was capable of, and put my best guess on the others. Hopefully the curve will be easy beacuse it was so hard.

[Test form CG booklet 285300]

Goodness!

VR was so easy at the beggining...I could have sworn I was going to get a 15 and then I get that Plato passage...so I tell myself, no problem you have breezed through the others spend some time on it. Next thing I hear "You have 5 minutes left" and about 12 questions to go. Miss Curve have mercy on me! .

PS and BS were decent some were very easy , but others like some of the organic was ridiculous so many spectroscopic questions...

Thank God it is over!.

Dr.Perez

YAAAA!!! :) :) :)

I'm am SO glad that that test is over!!!!! I had a really long day - I was at the test center for over 9 hours :( My back hurts from the crappy seat and I've got the worst headache... but I couldn't feel better :) now that I finally have that hurdle out of the way (hopefully all of us won't have to write it again).

I had form AN. I thought the verbal was pretty hard... like kreno, I can't even guess what I got. PS and BS were, I thought, really good. There were a couple of tricky questions, but overall I thought it could have been easier than some of the practice tests I did. I feel bad for you Dr. P... that was one thing I thought about right before opening my test booklet ("Damn, I forgot to review the spec stuff again"), but luckily I didn't have any. But, if it was really hard, then hopefully the curve will be generous.

Now I can relax and have a bit of a summer!!!! Congrats on being done everyone! Hopefully we'll all get good scores 2 months from now! :) :)

Dr. Perez,

I totally agree with you. Damn that Plato passage.

I had CM and after taking the VR I thought it was all over. I prepared with Kaplan and read nearly all of their VR passages. It was EXTREMELY difficult. The physicial science did seem really easy but that makes me a bit uneasy. I would agree about the bio, for the most part it was easy but there were a few organic tuffies. Well, best of luck to you all.

Hip

I had AK, and I thought Verbal was a nightmare after practicing all summer. My strategy was to begin with the easy passages and go from there. Problem was, the easy passages had 6 questions and the killer passages had 10 questions.

I agree that Physical Sciences and Bio seemed reasonable.

Did anyone who had EH think verbal was easy? I thought it was a whole lot easier than the verbal last April.

I hated the physical science, although I hate physics so I am no judge as to how hard the physical science part was.

As for the writing essay what a joke. They were something like this. Maybe someone else can remember them word for word.

1. People use computers a lot today, so computers are alienating people from one another.

2. If your belief's go against what is the law, then it is best to go against the law in order to feel the best.

Well it's over. :D :D :D

Amy Beth! I had EH as well.

I thought verbal had some very "out there" passages, and I'm an English major!

PS sucked.

BS was very do-able.

...and classes start on monday.

I had the same essay questions .. LOL form 043

Dr.Perez

I had form BH and I thought the biology section was extremely difficult--one of the passages was like a verbal passage asking for the main idea and everything, sheesh! Physical sciences was okay, and verbal was moderate--too many killers though. I have no idea what I'll get but I'm glad it's over and I hope the curve works with me :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Panda and Amy,

I had form EH too and I'm soooo glad to hear I'm not the only one who thought PS SUCKED!!!!!!!

And I agree Amy, I didn't think verbal was that bad. I kept looking for the "hard" passage but there really wasn't any. They were all kind of medium. Lots of gray though...

I did great on BS until like the last half to quarter. That was some UGLY organic.

drink, drink, drink...

mj

Hey whats up!! YAH THIS THING IS FINALLY OVER!!

I wanted to get drunk tonight but I'm too tired. Funny story though before I start with my MCAT story. I went to bed last night at like 8PM. HOwever, I had to go to the washroom at like 12 or something. ever since that I couldnt go back to sleeP!! it was horrible! so I decided, well ppl had posted maybe to take some cough medicine (granted I'm sleepy as hell when this happens). I go to the medicine cabinet and drink what looks like nyquil. TO my surprise...it was DAYQUIL!! I know, I know stupidest thing ever!!! talk bout the effects of EPHEDRINE!!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

ok bout the mcats:
I had form BT. Ok to start with the easist ****...the writing sample was easy. Same topics as above.

THe verbal was moderately hard. I hit all the questions. However, they were hard. sooo much harder than kaplan.

Physical sciences was pretty easy. I guess thats a general consensus..meaning the curve will be harsh. I thought it was really similiar to AAMC V.

Finally, biological just kicked my ass. I mean it was nothing like kaplan or the aamc. There were terms that i did not know what in teh hell they were!!!

so yup thats my wrap up. Good luck everyoen!!

Mine was almost the same thing as AAMCAS IV ... Funny almost the same questions and all.

Dr.Perez

dmon -

Worry not buddy!

Hopefully Miss Curve will give us a lift. Cheer up! :)

Dr.Perez

I just got done in the taking the test at the University of Nebraska-Omaha. I had form BM and the same WS questions (computers and laws). Verbal kicked me pretty hard in the junk, the passages were unfreaking believable hard. Then my day picked up, I rocked physical sciences pretty hard. BS went pretty well too, about half of my questions related to Microbiology. Hope everyone else has as nice of story to tell. Until next time, Peace Out. AEKDB.

Those who had AH...

Verbal, kinda challenging, especially the one on positive thinking and hoplessness...

Physical science was rather smooth

Biological science - orgo is easy, biology was challenging... I finish at about 2 min before the time was up

I cannot believe I took MCAT today without getting any sleep the night before.

I had form EG.

Verbal was horrible. It was 10 times harder than AMCAS V. There were like 8 freaking humanity passages. Possibly because I was half asleep.

PS -> I don't remember what kind of questions I had. My physical state was the worst during this section. (I literally fell asleep.)

BS -> I thought it was really easy. But, some weird, tricky questions.

Jamier!!

I knew I would find someone!

LOL , Please give me your take on the exam and how you did. Thanks.

Dr.Perez

I think we can all agree that VR kicked everyone's ass. I had form BK... Didn't have the Plato passage. Still had lots of philosophy **** though. I had a real bastard of a passage about ethics (10 damn questions at that).

PS was very easy. I thought that BS was a little harder than AAMC and Kaplan. Hope that the curve is kind!!!

Anyone else think Kaplan needs to lay off the physical sciences and concentrate a little more on verbal and biological sciences????

IT seems like whatever form of test you had the BS seemed to be the hardest, weirdest, and the most out of left field what were they thinking when they wrote these questions section.

i had form FH...just like most people i thought verbal was extremely difficult...i think i found 1 or 2 science passages..the rest were humanities and stuff like that... physical wasn't too bad...bio i thought was alright too....AT LEAST IT'S OVER!

Originally posted by doctorperez:
•Please give me your take on the exam and how you did. Thanks.•

Well, to almost quote you, "VR was so easy at the beggining...I could have sworn I was going to get a 15." I don't remember anything specific about Plato, but it may have been on there. The passages did tend to get harder toward the end of VR.

PS was decent with some very easy passages, but others like some of the organic in the BS was ridiculous.

I ended up with an 11, 11, 10. I was happy, and got a litter higher than I expected, and a little lower than I'd hoped. :)

I hope you did well.

I had test form CK...I thought the verbal was so freakin rediculous. I mean I did awesome on all the Kaplan and AAMC verbals as well as Examkrackers...I thought Verbal was the one thing I coudl definitely count on. PS seemed easy...Bio Sci was harder than the AAMC tests. The Orgo was doable but I thougth some of the Bio questiosn were a little challenging.

i had form AS...i thought it was decent, i was expecting it to be harder, the verbal was ok, the PS was easy, and the BS was hard...and i have absolutely no idea of how i did...i wish scores wouldnt take 6-8 weeks

I know they should grade our tests on the spot...at least the VR,PS, and BS.. the essay could come in the mail.. :cool: !!!

Dr.Perez

hey bubbaap,
i had the same form as you (BH). I thought the verbal was a little difficult but I finished on time so I guess that's an OK sign--passage on the American mindset and nobody seeking experience/irony/hope or whatever anymore--I thought that passage was so hard. I thought the PS was really easy and straight forward...too easy if you ask me. it makes me nervous thinking about the curve on it--I had about 20 min left over when I was done with it. The Bio wasn't bad, but I was so worn out by the time I got to it I have the feeling I made a lot of careless mistakes. I thought the passage on diastolic/systolic blood pressure was kinda hard and same with the NPY GnRH enhancer passage, but overall I could tell it wasn't bad at all--wish I could have been more alert when I was taking it. I thought the test was very similar to AAMC V (with the Verbal being a little harder).

Now I guess we just wait until October--I refuse to think about the answers I put down any more!! Enjoy your next week of summer before classes start everyone

nashtrash

hey nash trash, I didn't have the same form as you, but those bio passages were the exact same as mine. I had form AG. Now I'm kinda wondering if the MCAT has the same passages for everyone, but just in a different order. I thought bio was okay, but the verbal and physical sections were relatively hard.

I'm just barely waking up from my drunken state of partying. MCAT delerium or not, I HAD to go out. Hope all of you had fun last night :D .

Im pretty sure that the mcat doesnt have the same passages for everyone. A couple of people on here were talking about a bone question that wasn't on mine, and a few others that I know I didnt have. I had AH and I think I had the same passages as nash. See if you guys remember any of these.
Verbal-passages on cat's "sixth sense", framing of the constitution, cleaning of famous paintings.
Physical-two cars going off a cliff, a boat going up and down on a wave, photoelectric effect
Bio-Prions causing mad cow disease, Blood pressure (systolic and diastolic with 2 experiments), NPY GnRH enhancer, 2 methods of esterification.

Maybe someone can clearify this for me. How can the MCAt be a truely standarized test judging everyone exactly the same if we all have different questions?

They can say we all have easy, medium and hard questions, BUT somethings may be hard to some and easy to others and vice versa so this test is not judging everyone using the exact same criteria.

Why don't they give us the smae exact questions? They can change the order so there is no cheating.

I just don't get it.

Hey amy beth,
The way I understand it, they curve each form(i.e. AH, BH etc.) of the test relative to others across the nation who took your same form. Or maybe they put like some of the same passages in different forms, and they curve like that, by passage rather than by everyone who took the MCAT that day. Anyways, I know for a fact that they don't curve across the board. They do consider which form you had, and curve across people who had the same passages as you.

jordews, I had AG, and had each of those passages. I suppose all those in the "A" grouping are similar.

Originally posted by jordews:
•Im pretty sure that the mcat doesnt have the same passages for everyone. A couple of people on here were talking about a bone question that wasn't on mine, and a few others that I know I didnt have. I had AH and I think I had the same passages as nash. See if you guys remember any of these.
Verbal-passages on cat's "sixth sense", framing of the constitution, cleaning of famous paintings.
Physical-two cars going off a cliff, a boat going up and down on a wave, photoelectric effect
Bio-Prions causing mad cow disease, Blood pressure (systolic and diastolic with 2 experiments), NPY GnRH enhancer, 2 methods of esterification.•

Hey, I had form BG, and ALL of those passages you mentioned above. As well, all the AG people had the same passages too. I thought it was probably harder than any of the practice tests, but just a bit (i.e. quite reasonable). In verbal there weren't really any easy passages, but also no extremely difficult ones like people with other forms had. PS and BS were not too bad either, though of course I still had to guess on some questions that came out of nowhere (e.g. that K and R selection one).

Does anyone remember the PS question with the formula for selenium oxide? I put SeO2 like lots of other people did, but the equation they gave to us isn't balanced properly with the hydrogens... is that a typo, or some trick I didn't notice?

Hey - had form BG, which I took for a good sign( it is a stage name of one of my favourite rock singers) I had the same passages mentioned above, and thought Verbal was average, physics easy, and bio very hard. Peace, Love, Happiness.
Anybody who can survive 12 hour day of testing whether or not you are "good enough" to be a medical student without loosing your cool, all of us, I mean - we are going to rule the world!!! ;)

Hey jordews, I had form AG, but what is really weird is that I had ALL OF THE EXACT same passages you did, nad yes, that was form AG. I am absolutely positive. Maybe there are only a few versions of the MCAT, but they just reorganize the passages differently? What did youthink of PS? I thought it was extremely difficult. Hope you did well :D

hey jordews, okay...sorry about that lame comment, my brain is still recovering from yesterday. apparently you studied better than me. Good Job :) .

hey NE_Cornhusker1 -
i was also at omaha... were you in room 316??? dear god- i thought that verbal section was straight outta hell... but physical and biological were ok. where were you sitting if you were there? i was in the front left side of the room (if you're looking from the back) - i had a fro and a red shirt- see ya