What's a good GPA to have after first year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor in da makin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or after first semester?

I am just barely over a 3.0 at the moment and know that it's only going to get harder from here. Can't tell you how many grade cutoffs I just missed, GPA easily could've been a little higher...but that's life.(sigh)

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Or after first semester?

I am just barely over a 3.0 at the moment and know that it's only going to get harder from here. Can't tell you how many grade cutoffs I just missed, GPA easily could've been a little higher...but that's life.(sigh)

Thoughts?

How hard are you willing to work?

Don't do it for the title or money. You may get in, but you will struggle.

Coming from a low stat applicant.

It's all about class rank, GPAs vary a lot between schools. I'd say as long as you remain in the top 25-30% you'll have a shot at any residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ideally as high as possible. I think as long as you're top half in your class, you should be able to get a solid program provided everything else is fine in your application. Top 1/4 in your class should make you competitive for pretty much any program.

Reactions: 1 users
Certain residency programs will not interview you due to too low of GPA or class rank.

If you may want a residency that requires a 3.3+ GPA, then obviously your GPA is too low. If you go to a school with high average GPAs and you want a residency that filters out by class rank at all, then your GPA is too low.

CASPR Directory, American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine

Here is a list of residency programs and their required class ranks/GPAs. I would also warn you that there are many programs that have no official GPA/rank cutoffs, but in reality only interview top students.

Depends on what you want, but I would say a "good" GPA is top 30% of class or so.

You have 1 more year. Study more next year and raise it. Plenty of time to make up for a lower gpa.

Work on your weaknesses, change your past study habits that did not work and try a different approach.
There is still time to a get a competitive GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
What GPA is needed to just obtain ANY residency? Even low tier ones like the VA. 2.5? 2.0?

What if you are the last person in your class but you passed everything?

Ideally as high as possible. I think as long as you're top half in your class, you should be able to get a solid program provided everything else is fine in your application. Top 1/4 in your class should make you competitive for pretty much any program.

What GPA is needed to just obtain ANY residency? Even low tier ones like the VA. 2.5? 2.0?

I'd stop even considering that and make changes. You have 1 year left to help set yourelf up for the rest of your life. Make the hard sacrifices and study more/more efficiently.

Reactions: 1 user
First of all you did a good job by completing first year and keeping your head above water. Don’t be so hard on yourself.

1. I would recommend busting ass and doing your best job to bring your GPA up. It is definitely possible. I will tell you now that there are a select few of residencies that are very selective and will only except the top students from the class, but that does not represent all programs.

2. Work really hard in clinic. Be the first one there and the last one to leave. Look up questions when residents/upperclassman ask, be social, don’t overstep your boundaries, and try to be as normal as possible (I know this is subjective).

3. Don’t get caught up on your first year. Keep moving forward. Be the best student you can be and you will be fine. There are plenty of solid programs out there that are more than happy to take students with middle tier GPA, but work hard, are easy to get along with, and most importantly can be trusted.

Good luck!

It sucks to work so hard and still be mediocre. I'm still in the top half of my class though.

Certain residency programs will not interview you due to too low of GPA or class rank.

If you may want a residency that requires a 3.3+ GPA, then obviously your GPA is too low. If you go to a school with high average GPAs and you want a residency that filters out by class rank at all, then your GPA is too low.

CASPR Directory, American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine

Here is a list of residency programs and their required class ranks/GPAs. I would also warn you that there are many programs that have no official GPA/rank cutoffs, but in reality only interview top students.

Depends on what you want, but I would say a "good" GPA is top 30% of class or so.

Is top 30% at a certain school looked at more favorably?

Is top 30% at a certain school looked at more favorably?

Most programs aren't going to come out and say to your face that they prefer one school over an other, although I'm sure there is a preference among some. If you're a good student and do well in clinic, which school you attended won't matter too much.

Having visited a top ranked program, the impression I got was that so long as your GPA was decent (they said ~3.40 was their cutoff), it doesn't matter if you have a 4.00 or a 3.50, so long as your performance in clinic was good and they liked you as a person (not a jerk, easy to teach, good fit with the residents + attendings, etc.)

In fact the program director said he'd take a lower GPA student who seemed eager to learn and was willing to put in the effort over a 4.0 student who was arrogant and thought they knew everything. This is in line with what I've heard from many other residency directors as well. A good GPA is very important, but it's not the be all end all. There are a lot of other pieces to the puzzle as well.

Realistically, this probably depends on the amount of students graduating and the available number of residency spots. And this hasn't been consistent from year to year.