• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Originally posted by medstu110
I was just wondering what medical schools consider as a good GPA for a master's degree.
depends on the program, but i'd really say it needs to be above a 3.5 minimum.

XCanadianRagwee

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2002
Splashing around in the alternate pool
Status
i was told...as long as you get the degree we don't care...

About the Ads

Maxip

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
My pockets hurt...
Visit site
Status
The prevailing opinion seems the be that graduate work should be easier, or at the least less competitive, than undergraduate work. In my case, this was true (3.2 ov/3.0 sc UG, 3.8 sc GR). If its a "hard" science degree you will get some bonus points for difficulty and relevance to medicine. If its an MPH in Public Health Management or something, get yourself a damn good GPA :p

My graduate degree got me from no interviews after UG to a pretty much instant interview and acceptance after graduate school. Good luck!

DocKW

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 22, 2003
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Maxip
The prevailing opinion seems the be that graduate work should be easier, or at the least less competitive, than undergraduate work. In my case, this was true (3.2 ov/3.0 sc UG, 3.8 sc GR). If its a "hard" science degree you will get some bonus points for difficulty and relevance to medicine. If its an MPH in Public Health Management or something, get yourself a damn good GPA :p

My graduate degree got me from no interviews after UG to a pretty much instant interview and acceptance after graduate school. Good luck!
I am in the same predicament as you UG wise, and just wanted to know which Master's program did you do? Was it 1 yr or 2 yr?

Thanks!

camstah

running thru dandelions
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 5, 2003
Los Angleeez
Visit site
Status
my MPH (at UCLA) was NOT easy, at least in my opinion....usually there's serious grade inflation in grad school, but not the case here i think......still, a good public health school.....lots of cool people to meet.....

Maxip

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
My pockets hurt...
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by DocKW
I am in the same predicament as you UG wise, and just wanted to know which Master's program did you do? Was it 1 yr or 2 yr?

Thanks!
I did a 2 year MS in Toxicology. Doesn't have a hell of a lot to do with medicine, but the med school I got into was very research based and seemed to respond well to it. I went with this degree because I honestly thought my chances were shot, so I wanted to at least be able to work for a pharm company. Just goes to show... just when you give up, you get a break!

About the Ads