What's a good master's GPA

Started by medstu110
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

medstu110

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just wondering what medical schools consider as a good GPA for a master's degree.
 
Originally posted by medstu110
I was just wondering what medical schools consider as a good GPA for a master's degree.
depends on the program, but i'd really say it needs to be above a 3.5 minimum.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The prevailing opinion seems the be that graduate work should be easier, or at the least less competitive, than undergraduate work. In my case, this was true (3.2 ov/3.0 sc UG, 3.8 sc GR). If its a "hard" science degree you will get some bonus points for difficulty and relevance to medicine. If its an MPH in Public Health Management or something, get yourself a damn good GPA 😛

My graduate degree got me from no interviews after UG to a pretty much instant interview and acceptance after graduate school. Good luck!
 
Originally posted by Maxip
The prevailing opinion seems the be that graduate work should be easier, or at the least less competitive, than undergraduate work. In my case, this was true (3.2 ov/3.0 sc UG, 3.8 sc GR). If its a "hard" science degree you will get some bonus points for difficulty and relevance to medicine. If its an MPH in Public Health Management or something, get yourself a damn good GPA 😛

My graduate degree got me from no interviews after UG to a pretty much instant interview and acceptance after graduate school. Good luck!

I am in the same predicament as you UG wise, and just wanted to know which Master's program did you do? Was it 1 yr or 2 yr?

Thanks!
 
my MPH (at UCLA) was NOT easy, at least in my opinion....usually there's serious grade inflation in grad school, but not the case here i think......still, a good public health school.....lots of cool people to meet.....
 
Originally posted by DocKW
I am in the same predicament as you UG wise, and just wanted to know which Master's program did you do? Was it 1 yr or 2 yr?

Thanks!

I did a 2 year MS in Toxicology. Doesn't have a hell of a lot to do with medicine, but the med school I got into was very research based and seemed to respond well to it. I went with this degree because I honestly thought my chances were shot, so I wanted to at least be able to work for a pharm company. Just goes to show... just when you give up, you get a break!