what's a good medical journal to order

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

Reborn24

Something that's interesting to read, a bit laymen, and not so heavy on clinical studies. like stuff like new innovations, diagnositic reasoning type of stories.

Members don't see this ad.

All medical journals are research loaded, simply because that is their purpose! But, JAMA has a nice Clinican's Corner section which details a case and describes the thought process of treating the disease and NEJM has nice Case Reports (of the Mass. General Hospital). You can't go wrong with these two journals.

I personally hate JAMA and think it is very technical. I don;t have a subscription on the NEJM but have heard good things about it. I like The Annals of Emergency Medicine and Academic Emergency Medicine and the Main Family Practice Journal. They are all very readable.

Members don't see this ad :)
The AAFP journal is excellent!!!! I will probably not be entering Family Medicine as a career, but the journal is full of the bread and butter stuff that every doctor should know. I believe that students can sign up for AAFP for free, though that may just be in Florida. :)

Miami_med said:
The AAFP journal is excellent!!!! I will probably not be entering Family Medicine as a career, but the journal is full of the bread and butter stuff that every doctor should know. I believe that students can sign up for AAFP for free, though that may just be in Florida. :)

Second that.

AAFP has some good articles that often give nice reviews of those key concepts that you learn during your first two years and are expected to "know" when you make it to 3rd year. I would recommend it for any medical student (or others who are higher on the totem pole).

IUSM said:
All medical journals are research loaded, simply because that is their purpose! But, JAMA has a nice Clinican's Corner section which details a case and describes the thought process of treating the disease and NEJM has nice Case Reports (of the Mass. General Hospital). You can't go wrong with these two journals.

Maybe its me but these two esp. NEMJ are the MOST bland and drab journals they have. I think he means journals that are in so many words somewhat palatable and have very direct patient care info and scenarios, quick cutting edge material for example AAFP is good, that main Family Practice Journal is good and I like "The Counsultant".
For example if I was flying to LasVegas I could see reading the AAFP, but I could not see myself reading the NEJM. This maybe a better q for a third or 4th year resident who has finished ALL exams including board certificaion, not a stressed or gunning mere medical student. Just my honest thoughts.

Do med students get discounts on JAMA or NEJM?

My schools premed office was passing around a link to this:
http://www.nextgenmd.org/

It's articles are pulled from NEJM. Seems like a good place to start.

If you've got the money, UPTODATE or MDConsult are an accumulation of articles. Some books on MDConsult too...I had subscription to NEJM, but quickly got tired of it...too much info that was not applicable. Very focused research (Ex: genes associated with ADHD (not going to help me any)). The NEJM online has some cool videos for procedures you may do in 3rd or 4th year (pic lines, a lines, central lines, LP, etc.) and I think it is free so that may be cool to check out. Also...I agree that the AAFP journal is great

Most likely. All of the journals I read there are student discounts. I have to subscribe to the European journal of Human Genetics, Clinical Dysmorphology, Journal of Medical Genetics, and Clinical Genetics because the local medical library and basic science libraries don't have these journals. I got student discounts for all four journals.

A student online subscription to the NEJM is only $49.00. That is a really cheap price for such a prestigious journal. A student non-member subscription to JAMA only cost $45.00. This is also a really cheap price. My video game (NCAA Football 2007) cost just as much a year long subscription to these journals. For most of the Nature journals a student can get a subscription for $99.00 if I remember right.

The thing is, a person needs a good understanding of the basics for the subject they are reading to actually understand the importance of the findings. So by the time a student is in medical school or graduate school, they should be able to understand the technical information for which they are interested in.

scotttennis said:

JAMA sucks. The majority of the articles are so off the wall I would be surprised anyone reads them. Every week I get it, look at the index, and throw it right in the garbage.

NEJM is a little better since there is more case presentation type articles, but it's also very dry reading.

A professor of mine once mentioned and I agree, that the Wall Street Journal is an excelent source of what's new in the medical field. It's amazing how technical some of the articles are, but they explain it very well. If you have an online subscription you can list all the medical articles in one spot, which is nice.

I like NEJM a lot, although a lot of space is taken up by "New Drug A vs. Old Drug B" studies that are generally funded by the makers of... New Drug A.

That said, the clinical case and basic science artices are a great addition to your studies, and the "Perspective" articles are generally high-quality news features about health. And best of all, every issue guarantees a really nasty picture of some really disgusting medical condition, perfect for showing friends and family. :)

BMJ (British Medical Journal) is awesome! Get this...there are NO advertisements in it. As a result, its very thin and unobnoxious. Also, for years its contributers have been required to state any possible conflicts of interest. I love it. But, because theres no ADs, it costs a fortune (like $400 a year). Id bum one from the library. Seriously though, give it a try...at least read through one or two before you make up your mind.

If you like the Economist, or other similiar to-the-point/cut-the-bull magazines, youll like BMJ

The Journal of the AAFP rocks!
I'm interested in Family Medicine, so I'm a bit biased. However, the articles are very practical (diabetes, obesity, diets, stroke, etc.) and easy to understand. I've been able to use the information quite a few times during my clinical times as a first year.
Student membership is $15 for 4 yrs.

JAMA goes straight from the mail box to the trash can. My wife has standing orders. I don't have time to wade through it..

Most of my reading is from my 2000 page Emergency Medicine textbook or on Uptodate if I have specific things I need to look up.

eralza said:
I'm interested in Family Medicine, so I'm a bit biased. However, the articles are very practical (diabetes, obesity, diets, stroke, etc.) and easy to understand. I've been able to use the information quite a few times during my clinical times as a first year.

How do I sign up for a subscription. Can't find it in their website

eralza said:

Where did u the $15 from. It's listed a lot higher than that

scotttennis said:

Any school will have these and many more in the electronic resources database or in print version in the journal stacks. I wouldn't pay for 'em until you find that one you just can't do without.

JBJS = Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery :D Impact factor of about 1.8, which is nothing compared to Nature or Science which have impact factor of ~30.

Another excellent reading material for medical schools is

The Playboy Journal!! Impact factor of > 100 :cool:

Wahoos said:
JBJS = Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery :D Impact factor of about 1.8, which is nothing compared to Nature or Science which have impact factor of ~30.

Another excellent reading material for medical schools is

The Playboy Journal!! Impact factor of > 100 :cool:

Quite possibly the best way to learn anatomy