Whats a normal nightly amount of sleep during residency?

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    Honestly, I feel like as residency as gone on I've found myself really contracting my activities. I work, eat, workout, do some academic/publishing things and I go to bed. I'm pretty much **** unless I can get 7 to 8 a night.

• Love
    Reactions: 1 user
    About the Ads

hallowmann

7+ Year Member
    Gold Member
  • Mar 13, 2012
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      Where's the <5 option?
      😄, I think OP's following ACGME duty hour rules, i.e. average over 4 weeks. Hey q2-3 x28s still means you get at least 12-24 hours off during which to sleep. Plus don't forget the 30 min you get falling asleep in that ICU work room chair. Just because sleep schedule disruption and insomnia means you don't sleep that whole time doesn't mean you couldn't 😉 .

Reactions: 1 user

DO2015CA

Resident - PGY3
      7+ Year Member
      Apr 21, 2014
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        I think it’s also shifts to more sleep as you go on because you become more efficient at work. Definitely used to be in A now I’m more C because I don’t go home and work on notes. I try and squeeze my paperwork/modules/etc in my lunch breaks.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.