What’s going on at Walgreens?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RockChalkPharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Every time I call Walgreens, I sit on hold for 30-50 minutes before they even pick up the phone. They are completely closed on random days and, on other days, they close early. We have been asking for wayyyy more profile transfers than usual from Walgreens. I’d just like to hear from any Walgreens pharmacists about what corporate has been saying and what the plan is to resolve this. Each big box pharm is busy and overworked, but not on the level of shutting down and staff leaving in droves like at Walgreens.

Members don't see this ad.

Apparently they just don't have enough staff to cover the hours. Techs quit with no replacements and the pharmacists are forced to quit or work solo. Around where I live, CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid are all in the same shape. Rather than trying to start treating their staff decently they'd rather just close their stores. My wife's doctor's office told her they are getting calls constantly from patients who showed up to pick up their rxs at the pharmacy only to have the store closed indefinitely and needing the rxs called in elsewhere (since there is no one their to transfer them out). Such is the chains' commitment to their patients' wellbeing. It's pretty pathetic when you think about it.

Reactions: 5 users
someone shared a post on reddit saying they are offering 35 to 50k sign on bonus in NJ. Some areas are next to Rutgers pharmacy school. It was hard to find a job there couple years ago as they were saturated.
it's same story where I live too. Everyday they have to close 3-4 stores as they can not find people even with OT pay. Some stores had 60 vaccine appt per day without any extra help. It got up to the point that staff can not take it anymore. They quit before having other job lined up. It's really really bad. Their current employees don't care anymore because they are burned out and being pushed beyond their limits.

Members don't see this ad :)
I left wags recently. The problem is over worked and under staffed. They are scheduling 9 covid tests per hour and vaccine appointments every 5 minutes from open to close with no additional staff. My store was struggling and when I reached out to my DM for support, I was told I was doing a great job and just keep it up. When the DM would visit my store he would simply delete prescriptions that had been in the queue for more than 7 days, "If the patient hasn't come to get it, then they obviously don't need it" Those are his words and the words that drove me to find employment elsewhere. They just reduced pharmacy hours of ALL the walgreens in the area. I predict they will be closing some of the stores.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah they really don't care. They have determined that is cheaper to close stores than pay staff. Bold move since they don't have a strong PBM to steer patients.

CVS closing 10% of stores over next 36 months and Wags could do the same. That BLS negative employment is looking more and more real.

someone shared a post on reddit saying they are offering 35 to 50k sign on bonus in NJ.
Can confirm 50k bonus in Chambersburg, PA being advertised by Walgreed's. Basically saying - "we'll still treat you like dirt while making you regret every second taking our money in return for pledging us 2 years of your life". I've heard it's a 2 year commitment, which working for them is like a lifetime. No thanks. Glad to see them floundering.... I wonder if they make you sign your contract in blood on parchment made from human flesh? Kinda traditional for transactions involving the soul....

Reactions: 4 users
Just read an article about "CVS to close 900 stores". Their excuse is they are "going to provide more services" in the remaining stores. Whether they are referring to assigning more menial tasks on their pharmacy staff (on site foot exams? rectal exams?) or getting diagnostic personnel (NPs, PAs) to have practitioners right in the store I'm not sure. I wonder though if they put metrics on the practitioners? Does every one seen in the clinic have to leave with at least one RX? Do they penalize and/or fire those prescribers who don't write enough unnecessary rxs? Having a practitioner attached to a pharmacy like that has always seemed a horrible conflict of interest and NOT for the good of the patient at all. I can think of no one better suited to abuse that situation than CVS....

The answer is that vaccines and covid testing which put nothing but extra weight and anxiety for pharmacy staff. Patients on the other hand do not even appreciate your service and most likely give you that ugly face complaining about waiting time. On top of that is the management who still living in the fancy world and do not care about you at all.

The answer is that vaccines and covid testing which put nothing but extra weight and anxiety for pharmacy staff. Patients on the other hand do not even appreciate your service and most likely give you that ugly face complaining about waiting time. On top of that is the management who still living in the fancy world and do not care about you at all.
True. technicians are busy doing drive through covid tests all day. they have covid test and vaccination appt slots open through out the day. what do they think??? no one in the world can do 90 shots per day having one or 2 techs in drive through pharmacy with covid testing. And ofcourse, on top of that you need to perform your regular full time duties too. I feel really bad for my friends at walgreens.

Just read an article about "CVS to close 900 stores". Their excuse is they are "going to provide more services" in the remaining stores. Whether they are referring to assigning more menial tasks on their pharmacy staff (on site foot exams? rectal exams?) or getting diagnostic personnel (NPs, PAs) to have practitioners right in the store I'm not sure. I wonder though if they put metrics on the practitioners? Does every one seen in the clinic have to leave with at least one RX? Do they penalize and/or fire those prescribers who don't write enough unnecessary rxs? Having a practitioner attached to a pharmacy like that has always seemed a horrible conflict of interest and NOT for the good of the patient at all. I can think of no one better suited to abuse that situation than CVS....
Don't give them any ideas lol

How is this legal? Leaving the patient with no medications? MD offices are so busy now. Trying to speak to the front desk at times is nearly impossible as well. My MD friends are also swamped with patient emails.
This is so terrible for patient care.

How is this legal? Leaving the patient with no medications? MD offices are so busy now. Trying to speak to the front desk at times is nearly impossible as well. My MD friends are also swamped with patient emails.
This is so terrible for patient care.
They just sell the Rxs to another local store. Definitely legal.

Walgreeds is a cheap company. Instead of doing a normal onboarding drug salvia test at actual lab they make you put this gross sponge in your mouth for 15 minutes in the back room. The company is paying starting pharmacists $45 an hour, near the lowest compensation in the retail biz and the results are as expected: depressed new grads barely getting buy with their loan repayments.