What's going on here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avicenna04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an A and A+ for gen. chem. 1 and 2. But i just did the chem questions in the kaplan pcat review and got 11/30, AND i ran past the recommended time. Are the questions on the exam really this long?

Also, the math part is the part of the exam that EVERYONE says they run out of time on. Well, considering they just added calculus to it, do they give more time for that section?

I also did the math section in the kaplan... I got 29/30, but i past the time limit by 9 minutes... Note, this is the math WITHOUT the calc.

The bio section was decent, finished that on time. I'm yet to do the reading section, i know people usually fall short on time on that one too...

Oh well, saturday should be fun~! :scared: :scared: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Avicenna04 said:
I got an A and A+ for gen. chem. 1 and 2. But i just did the chem questions in the kaplan pcat review and got 11/30, AND i ran past the recommended time. Are the questions on the exam really this long?

Also, the math part is the part of the exam that EVERYONE says they run out of time on. Well, considering they just added calculus to it, do they give more time for that section?

I also did the math section in the kaplan... I got 29/30, but i past the time limit by 9 minutes... Note, this is the math WITHOUT the calc.

The bio section was decent, finished that on time. I'm yet to do the reading section, i know people usually fall short on time on that one too...

Oh well, saturday should be fun~! :scared: :scared: :laugh:

Your school gives A+'s?

Lexian said:
Your school gives A+'s?

Yeah, A+ = 92% and ^

I'm not bragging though, the reason i got an A+ is because i figured out what kind of questions the teacher liked to give.

I'm just trying to figure out why the Kaplan chem section is so hard and whether or not it's indicative of the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Avicenna04 said:
Yeah, A+ = 92% and ^

I'm not bragging though, the reason i got an A+ is because i figured out what kind of questions the teacher liked to give.

I'm just trying to figure out why the Kaplan chem section is so hard and whether or not it's indicative of the exam.

The Kaplan section was harder than the PCAT. You won't have to work out problems in as much detail as Kaplan.

illusions said:
The Kaplan section was harder than the PCAT. You won't have to work out problems in as much detail as Kaplan.

If you think about it, they don't allow you to have a calculator, so how could they expect you to work out multi-step, complicated equations and expect anyone to get those right? :confused: The equations must have some type of reasoning involved.

Chris

Avicenna04 said:
Yeah, A+ = 92% and ^

Funny. At my school, a 92 is an A-

vafcarrot said:

Same here too. At my school (NCSU), A+ is 98 and above.

vafcarrot said:

At my undergrad, that was an A-, too. You needed 94 or above for an A. There were no A+ grades.

Usually, the schools that don't have A+, the scale for A would be 90-100. I guess that evens out the competition. I mean, not alot of people get A+ anyway, so there's no worrying about the unfairness between different grading systems.

no + or - at my school. Which is bad in some classes and probably good in others, so I am sure it averages out. Unless someone is consistently a 89 B student.

If you think about it, people at 90-100 A schools are better off because pharmcas doesn't recognize A+ anyway, but it sure does count the A. :(
Sorry, I'm just mad because I got 92.9 in my biology class and the teacher wouldn't give me an A. At my school, 93-98 is A.

Even worse than each school having a different idea of an A is when each class in your school has a different idea of an A. I had some courses where anything above an 89% was an A, then I had some were you had to have a 94% to get an A. It seemed to have no relation on how "easy" the course was, just how picky the prof wanted to be.

at one of the schools i attended 92% was a B!
:(

At my school, an A is a 4.0, but an A- is a 3.76. For those of you who got A+'s, was the grade point for that still a 4.0 or higher?

40wada said:
At my school, an A is a 4.0, but an A- is a 3.76. For those of you who got A+'s, was the grade point for that still a 4.0 or higher?

A+ at my school is 4.33.

goheel said:
A+ at my school is 4.33.

Yeah, also keep in mind that the schools keep all this in mind. I mean, the school at only gives a B for 92% is probably easier than the school that gives an A for the same grade, etc.

PharmCAS probably removes the +/- when calculating GPA. I know UF did when I applied. My A- grades became A grades, which boosted me to a 3.9 math/science GPA.

freshbeatschris said:
If you think about it, they don't allow you to have a calculator, so how could they expect you to work out multi-step, complicated equations and expect anyone to get those right? :confused: The equations must have some type of reasoning involved.

Chris

what a clever observation of you

dgroulx said:
PharmCAS probably removes the +/- when calculating GPA. I know UF did when I applied. My A- grades became A grades, which boosted me to a 3.9 math/science GPA.
How did you find out that UF dropped the +/- ? Did they send you something letting you know what your calculated GPA was?

Betty'sBeast said:
How did you find out that UF dropped the +/- ? Did they send you something letting you know what your calculated GPA was?

Once you're accepted they send you the form that they kept on you. It has your grades, PCAT scores for each attempt, whether or not you've taken biochemistry and/or microbiology and a few other things.

dgroulx said:

Pharmcas doesn't remove all +/- when they calculate GPA, they only reduce the A+ to an A.