what's included in the overall science GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wasabi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
my question to all members is what courses are included in the overall science GPA?

is kinesiology considered a science? how 'bout mathematics and sociology?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Wasabi,
Since you would classify it as either science or non-science GPA, I don't think mathematics would fall under science. However, sociology might be in the same category as psychology (social sciences or behavioral sciences) and that _would_ be considered a science. I'm not sure about kinesiology, but I would consider that a science too. You can check AACOMAS' instructions to see what category kinesiology falls under.. then from that, decide if it is science or non-science. Hope any of this helps.

Wasabi,
Check out the application instructions (PDF file on the website) for AACOMAS. I had similar questions and found my answers in their detailed outline of how to classify courses. Some of the actual course names were not mentioned, but I went with the code my university gave the course (i.e. BIO12). Hope this helps!
-J

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone! =)

science gpa = BCPM gpa= biology chemistry math and physics.

need i say more?

Originally posted by Halaljello:
•science gpa = BCPM gpa= biology chemistry math and physics.

need i say more?•

Jello,

I think that that AACOMAS has a different way of calculating the science GPA than AMCAS. I just checked out the website and discovered that math courses are not calculated along with the science gpa.

Here's the link:

AACOMAS sample instructions

AACOMAS does not recognize Social Science courses (pyschology, sociology, etc) or Math courses as being part of the Science GPA.

Peace

yes you are correct . My AMCAS and AACOMAS gpa's were slightly different. However , only by 0.04 .....

JPHazelton is correct as AACOMAS does not recognize social science or mathematics courses as part of the science GPA. AJC :D

It looks from the sample application instructions that Nutrition courses are counted towards the Science GPA. For those of who who have been through the app. process before & took nutrition courses, did you count them in the overall Science GPA? Just curious because this would be a big plus for me if I could compute my nutrition courses in my science GPA. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks & hope everyone achieves their goal of becoming a DO. I know I am pumped and ready to begin the app. process!

I took a Nutrition and Food Science course and both I did put in my sciences and yes it definitely help boost my sci gpa.

The reason I had placed them in the sciences was because my classes were more science based than anything else.... our health sciences advisor told me that if its more science then put it in the sciences... Lot's O' Luck....

Math is not a science???

hellz yea!!! ....i got a C in calc... :p