What's it like to be a pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MindCastle15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm trying to figure out whether a career in pharmacy would be right for me, so it would be really helpful if pharmacists out there could tell me what an average day is like. Basically, I have a few criteria:
1) I love chemistry, like bio,really like biochem, detest physics and like maths (tho I'm not brilliant at it)
2) I HATE repetitive work, or mundane work. I like to have new stuff everyday.
3) I don't handle stress too well- but I do like to kept on my toes :)
Is the work of a pharmacist intellectually satisfying? Exciting? Or routine? How closely do you work with patients/ customers? ( the only reason I came away from medicine was because I'm not too sure I would be comfortable with patients) Is it possible to go into R & D after, say a Pharm D?
Is there more of chemistry in this profession, and more bio in medicine?
Also, I know this is not exactly the right forum, but it would be really nice, if someone compared it with medicine- the nature of the work- mundane, exciting, how intellectually satisying pharmacy is compared to medicine?
Another one: oft repeted: Bad time to go into pharmacy now? :p

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,
I'm trying to figure out whether a career in pharmacy would be right for me, so it would be really helpful if pharmacists out there could tell me what an average day is like. Basically, I have a few criteria:
1) I love chemistry, like bio,really like biochem, detest physics and like maths (tho I'm not brilliant at it)
working in a big chain doesn't really need bio/biochem or even chemistry or math. try the field out and you will get a sense of it. clinical pharmacist is a different story.

you realize all fields will have repetitive work? you become a professional at doing a few things repetitively. what you say describes work in big chain retail very well.

different types of stress but all jobs have stress. probably you can become a prince/princess then no stress.

Is the work of a pharmacist intellectually satisfying? Exciting? Or routine? How closely do you work with patients/ customers? ( the only reason I came away from medicine was because I'm not too sure I would be comfortable with patients) Is it possible to go into R & D after, say a Pharm D?
yea you can do in research and development after pharmD but with 200k debt, no one can pay debt with salary of R and D, thus phD, free ride all the time, is a better route.

you come away from medicine because you can't compete for it? or truthfully because you are not comfortable with patients? in retail big chains, you will deal with patients aka CUSTOMERS that are like they own you.

do you even gain work experience in a retail big chain or hospital yet?......in real work, there is no real chemistry (reaction and such) or even bio minute details. you just use your understanding to build a big picture and sad to say, most of what you learn will stimulate you rather than be completely useful in your future career.

Also, I know this is not exactly the right forum, but it would be really nice, if someone compared it with medicine- the nature of the work- mundane, exciting, how intellectually satisying pharmacy is compared to medicine?

it seems like you are on the edge of trolling. medicine and pharmacy is different. pharmacy is not to diagnose and to cure. pharmacy is just about drug and drug related therapy. how satisfying a career is totally up to you.

very good time to go into pharmacy now. 130 schools to choose from. 13 000 seats every year.

I've worked in a pharmacy for several years.
1) You will use math (EASY math like fractions) frequently and chem/bio sometimes. No physics.
2) The work itself is repetitive. What's stimulating about the work is talking to patients. They all have different concerns, questions, and medical considerations. There is little physical contact with patients, if that's what you're worried about.
3) The amount of stress varies based on your workplace: is it a busy pharmacy? Do you have adequate staff? etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,
working in a big chain doesn't really need bio/biochem or even chemistry or math. try the field out and you will get a sense of it. clinical pharmacist is a different story.

you realize all fields will have repetitive work? you become a professional at doing a few things repetitively. what you say describes work in big chain retail very well.

different types of stress but all jobs have stress. probably you can become a prince/princess then no stress.

yea you can do in research and development after pharmD but with 200k debt, no one can pay debt with salary of R and D, thus phD, free ride all the time, is a better route.

you come away from medicine because you can't compete for it? or truthfully because you are not comfortable with patients? in retail big chains, you will deal with patients aka CUSTOMERS that are like they own you.

do you even gain work experience in a retail big chain or hospital yet?......in real work, there is no real chemistry (reaction and such) or even bio minute details. you just use your understanding to build a big picture and sad to say, most of what you learn will stimulate you rather than be completely useful in your future career.

it seems like you are on the edge of trolling. medicine and pharmacy is different. pharmacy is not to diagnose and to cure. pharmacy is just about drug and drug related therapy. how satisfying a career is totally up to you.

very good time to go into pharmacy now. 130 schools to choose from. 13 000 seats every year.
Honestly, I'm not even IN college yet. (just got out of HS) I just wanted to get a broad idea of pharmacy as a career, that's all. You're talking like I'm in my senior year of college.