What's it like to be a toxicologist? For the...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ante cibum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing some career exploring. I like the classes required to gain the education to be a toxicologist, but how can I find out what the day-to-day job is like? Job satisfaction? I can't find it in the Bureau of Labor statistics, I only come up with forensic technician

Basically, how can I find someone who is a toxicologist to learn their story. I guess there's the American society of toxicologists, would it be out of the question to ask them to direct me to an individual for some questions? There's no institutions that grant undergrad degrees in toxicology in my area, except graduate programs. Should I go there and ask to meet with someone?

How can I get experience in a research laboratory where a toxicologist works? Is it hard to get experience in a research lab?

Also, is a PhD program in toxicology just as difficult to get into as pharmacy?

Members don't see this ad.

There isn't a job of "Toxicologist," which is probably why you are having finding a description.

Daiphon and I are "Medical Toxicologists." We are physicians who have done subspecialty training in the evaluation and treatment of poisoned patients.

From laboratory side, there are "Toxicologists", who are chemists that specialize in laboratory detection of specific substances.

From the research side, there are PhDs who specialize in the research and study design to look at the toxic/potentially toxic effects of substances on biologic systems/organisms.

There are PharmDs who do additional certification to become "Toxicologists" and do much of what a Medical Toxicologist does.

There are Industrial Hygienists who are more versed in the physiologic effects of toxic exposure and call themselves "Toxicologists."

I'm sure I missed a few. So I guess the question really is, "What do you want to do?" Then start looking to what kind of program you want to get into. Toxicology is generally a subspecialty and requires you to learn the basics, before Toxicology.

I'm kind of fascinated with drugs and how they interact in the body. I'm interested in doing research on the long-term effects of pharmaceutical drugs, an area of research for which there's little information

I'm also interested in emergency medicine, possibly being an EMT or something. I'm pretty good at keeping my cool in tense situations and I think that'd go a long ways to being a successful EMT

Do you work in a hospital? If so, do you have a set schedule?