Whats med school really like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldladypremed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I won't bore you with my entire history but I'm a 35 mother of two. For years I have been nursing a dream of becoming a psychiatirst and although I keep trying to push it away, it just won't seem to die.

So my question is, is med school feasible at my age? Can you give me a little sketch of what its really like? What are the time demands in the preclinical and clinical years? Are you in the hospital 24 hours a day during surgury rotation? I need some straight forward advice becuase I really feel like this is my last chance to either go for it or put it away forever.

Thank you

Oldlady

Members don't see this ad.

I think that if you want to do it you can definitely do it. I know a number of people older than you that have/are making it throught med school with a family to take care of. Heck! I have one friend that worked a 15+ years to save up for med school and to make sure that his family would be financially sound before starting med school. If he can do it, then anyone can. He showed me what real drive for medicine was, he quit a ~six figure income because med school was what he wanted.

Pre clinicical years won't be to bad, it's just like any other job that you bust your but with. The work is managable if you prioritize. Just because you have to study, it doesn't mean that you can't do it at home. I know plenty of classmates that went straight home after class, heck I rarely showed up to class and studied on my own.

Clinical years can definitely be more difficult. This will require some true spousal support. When it comes to surgery and ob/gyn the hours can be bad and you may not have a lot of time for family during those months. It all depends on where and with who you rotate. One thing that you will not be able to avoid is taking call. This guarantees that there will be some nights that you won't be coming home.

Med school and psych residency can be done. Life will never get easier, so I figure that if surgeons can raise families then any of us can if that's what we want to do.

holp this helps, good luck

OLpremed-
I'm 35 and starting med school in August. I'd be glad to answer any questions about the non-trad application process. As for what med school's like for us "more seasoned" folks, I'll let you know in a couple months. I say go for it!

Cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with pinbor that your 1st 2 years is like a job. You have much more control over your time than you will have in your 3rd year. During your 3rd year, you will have to be somewhere (i.e. the hospital) during the day. You will also have to take call.

If worried about call, you can find out if the institution that you wish to attend has "overnight call". Overnight call means that you work during the day, cover the floor and admit patients overnight, and then work the next day. Occasionaly you actually get sleep :). A friend of mine is at a school where they don't take call overnight. When he is "on call", he stays untill 10:00 at night, admits a patient, and then goes home (ah, the life :)).

Medical school is difficult but doable. As for psych, I'm rotating through a lockdown unit now, and I admire people like you. There is no way in hell that I could spend day after day in marathon rounding sessions talking to "crazy" people :laugh:.

Congrats enkindu on starting med school! Its wonderful to learn that I'm not the only more "mature" person out there with this dream. Of course I still feel like I'm only 22 so its hard for me to think of myself as old!

I would love to hear of your route to medical school. What did you do before? How was the application process?

-Oldlady

Originally posted by DrMom
They have lots of info and also have discussion forums (although not as lively as SDN!)

I agree... I accidently hit the submit button on my last post, and 2 posts registered in the time it took me to edit it :).

Originally posted by oldladypremed
Can you give me a little sketch of what its really like? What are the time demands in the preclinical and clinical years?
Can't tell you abt the clinical years yet, but the demands on your time during the pre-clinical years really depend on what you're aiming for. If you just want to pass, I'd say a solid 3 hrs a day outside of class plus 8-10 hrs on the weekend will get you there. Emphasis on SOLID. If you wanna honor, well.....I'd say you'd have to put in at least twice as much time, perhaps more. Since psychiatry is a fairly easy residency to land, I'm guessing you won't need to be gunning for honors. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

How many hours of actual class and lab time do you have during your first two years?

Also, how can I find out about the call schedule at different medical schools before applying? I'm not afraid of hard work at all but I am worried about the demands on my kids.

Thanks again!

Oldlady

Originally posted by oldladypremed
I would love to hear of your route to medical school. What did you do before? How was the application process?

-Oldlady

Oldlady-
First of all, you're not old! I prefer to think of myself as having many valuable life experiences...

I was pre-med when I started as an undergrad, but I was a distracted 18 yr old... long story short, my grades during my first 1.5 yrs were terrible (0.7 GPA second semester....yes, I'm serious). I recovered and started doing well but my advisor told me to give up on med school- I listened. I got a degree in geology (which I still love) and graduated in 1991 with a 2.9 GPA.

Since school I have held several jobs.. most recently customer service manager for a boatbuilding company. I don't know if you can relate to this, but in spite of my successes, I have always felt like I was just killing time (because I was supposed to be in medicine!) When I realized that a lot of employees at my last company didn't understand their benefits/ health insurance and weren't getting treatment they needed, I got involved. During that process I realized that I had to try again to get in to med school.

I needed advice on how to get started. I talked to the pre-med advisor at my undergrad institution (some help) and then to the pre-professional advisor at a smaller local school (lots of help). I was told that my odds for admission were fair to poor, and that I needed to accomplish several things before applying:

1. Finish the prerequisite classes that I still needed.
2. Take enough post-baccalaureate work in higher division sciences to show that I could handle the work.
3. Ace every post-bacc class I took and get my GPA up.
4. Prepare for and do very well on the MCAT (I was told this was most critical. A medical admissions person told me that there is a very high correlation between MCAT success and USMLE step one scores, so they look HARD at your MCAT).
5. Get some experience in a medical setting. (Admissions comittees want to know that you understand what you are getting in to. This is especially important for older students making big career/ life changes)
6. Develop relationships with professors to get good current Letters of Recommendation.

If you already have your degree most colleges will let you take classes as a "post-baccalaureate special student" or something similar. I took organic chem over again (had a so-so grade as an undergrad) and also took genetics, biochemistry, microbiology, cell biology, a statistics class, and did research in a immunology lab. Just a note here: some schools have funky admissions requirements, so make sure you aren't surprised when time comes to apply. Get a copy of the Medical School Admissions Requrements from
AAMC (you will also find info here about the MCAT and AMCAS).

With my GPA, my application was DOA without a great MCAT score, so I preped for this course like my life depended on it (giving up a good job and financial security for the crap-shoot of med-school admissions is very motivating!) There are many prep courses available for the MCAT (I took Kaplan) and I recommend that you look into them. I hadn't had general chemistry or physics in 12 years when I decided to apply, so the structure and materials offered by a formal course were a godsend. You will also have the chance to do lots of practice tests in these classes. (there are tons of MCAT threads on this site- I'm sure you know.)

I quit my FT job to take FT classes and devote my time to MCAT prep. I spent a good part of my savings to do this, but it was worth it. I also got into an EMT class, got certified and volunteered with the rescue squad locally. I did well on the MCAT and got good recommendations. I spent a lot of time refining my personal statement on the AMCAS application. I did a lot of prep for interviews (check out the interview feedback here on the SDN site!) etc., etc........on and on....

This is all just quick overview of what I had to do- don't know how much will apply to your situation. I gotta run for now, but feel free to ask anything as you go through the process.

Cheers!:)