What's medical school like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siberianhusky88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My boyfriend just started medical school and he parties 3-4 nights a week. I always thought that in medical school, you studied a lot, were under a lot of stress and pressure, and did not go out as often as undergrad?

Members don't see this ad.

That will last a week or his med school career won't last more than a year. One of the two.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone handles it differently.

That will last a week or his med school career won't last more than a year.

Disagree. Most of the people who party like that end up extending their med school career an EXTRA year.:laugh:

Your bf probably is still in orientation, where you have no real work yet and there are events planned every night. Once classes start, this should stop. If not, he is drastically underestimating the amount of material he is going to get hit with, and his ability to remember it all, and the level of detail you are expected to know things. He might be thinking he will have time at the end to cram it, like you did in college, but in fact this doesn't really work in med school -- there is too much to cram. The folks who do well are those who do at least a few hours of work every night, review things again on the weekends, and review things again more intensely before the test. This usually ends up being far far more hours of study time than you had in college. I suspect after your bf's first exam, on which he will possibly get killed, he will change his approach. There are always a few foolish folks who try to make med school an extension of college, or rationalize that they don't want to go into anything competitive anyhow, or figure that if they got As in college without studying, they can manage the same thing in med school. Once they fail a test or come a lot closer to failure than they ever did in their life, and realize that all those folks in college who got Cs and made them look so good in college were eliminated by the admissions folk, and that now they are the bottom of the curve, folks usually shape up. It's a marathon, not a sprint, so there is always time to fix things. You will see folks who fail a first test disappear into the library for a month and come back with a vengeance to ace the second one. Or you will see the folks who never "get it", and end up failing things and having to take a class over the summer or repeat first year. It's hard to fail out, but not hard to fail and have to repeat courses.

My boyfriend just started medical school and he parties 3-4 nights a week. I always thought that in medical school, you studied a lot, were under a lot of stress and pressure, and did not go out as often as undergrad?

I agree with Law2Doc - this will change after his first exam grade comes back.

But...so, he doesn't have enough time to call you more than once a week, or to email you more than a few times a week...but he DOES have enough time to go out partying several times a week?

Hmmm. :confused:

I agree with Law2Doc - this will change after his first exam grade comes back.

But...so, he doesn't have enough time to call you more than once a week, or to email you more than a few times a week...but he DOES have enough time to go out partying several times a week?

Hmmm. :confused:

:diebanana::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Good work L2D:thumbup:

Medical school is exactly like undergrade with 30 credit hours.

"What is medical school like?" issues are pre-med issues and this thread is moved to Pre-Allo. Medical students read and respond to threads in Pre-Allo and may follow and respond to this one if desired.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you browse Allo, then you'll find out that med school is apparently a lot like high school. :)

Except it's 30,187X more work.

Really? The course work is not more difficult their is just a lot more of it???

I've heard this from quite a few medical students. When I asked a med student who went to my ridiculously hard undergrad how the work compared, he said that if anything, in med school it's actually *easier* material, but just an insane amount of it.

Since when do med schools start in June? I feel sorry for people who graduate in June and have to go to that school. o_O

Here's the thing, if your bf managed to get into a stateside, allopathic medical school, I highly doubt that he did so by partying his ass off. By this point in the process, I really don't know too many individuals who have yet to prove themselves (just look at the myriad of variables one has to excel in in order to be accepted: GPA, MCAT, volunteer activities, work experience, research experience, interview skills, etc.). I'm not trying to suggest that there won't be a period of adjustment as he begins his first year; however, an adcom saw fit to admit him based off of his strong credentials. As with everything in life, happiness and success in medical school boil down to one thing: balance. No doubt your bf will have to buckle down at times; however, his ability to loosen up occasionally is what will keep him sane.

Welcome to the suck.

That's what my friends and I have decided its going to be.

Really? The course work is not more difficult their is just a lot more of it???

That's how I felt - the sheer volume was what got to me. Conceptually, though, Bio classes always felt like they demanded sheer memorization of many facts, while my undergrad Physics/Engineering classes required that you understood the principles behind the theory.

if my girlfriend used sdn as a resource to check up on me and confirm my personal MS1 experiences with a panel of medical school experts, she'd have to be pretty high up on the Vicky Mendoza diagonal to continue that relationship.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zdGBL0PhJE&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]