What's one good textbook to read before entering dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jk5177

Just Kidding
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting dental school in Fall, but I'm too much of a nerd so I have to do some studying, or at least feel like I am doing some studying. So... what is the one book you would reccommend me to read that is dental related.

Please. I don't want to read the Bible. That is a great book, but I already have a copy. So what would you recommend?

I like books with pictures, and these nice summary diagrams with arrows and boxes.

Members don't see this ad.

jk5177 said:
Starting dental school in Fall, but I'm too much of a nerd so I have to do some studying, or at least feel like I am doing some studying. So... what is the one book you would reccommend me to read that is dental related.

Please. I don't want to read the Bible. That is a great book, but I already have a copy. So what would you recommend?

I like books with pictures, and these nice summary diagrams with arrows and boxes.
I would pick up a dental anatomy book and read the first couple of chapters

Members don't see this ad :)
Get Wheeler's Dental Anatomy. I did and it landed me an Honors in Dental Anatomy class. Woohoo!

you are a nerd and you wanna study before dental school starts?

hmmmm,

ok then. i recommend that you buy the Netter's Atlas and go over the head and neck part. learn every structure you find associated with the head and neck. yep, all the bones, vasculature, nerves, and everything else.

now if you want my serius recommendation, then you should pick a different book. you know the kinds that has travel deals including the airfare, hotel, and rental cars etc. look through that and find a nice cruise to go on and then GO. have a blast and not worry about studying. you'd be glad you did that when you start school.

jk5177 said:

Well, posting some first year exams would be better.

hey there......as much as you want to get a jump on things, take it easy and do some things you enjoy before school starts. I was in your position a year ago and I played a lot of golf and did renovations to my house. Now that I'm in school, I feel like if I'd have tried to study ahead, it really wouldn't have changed much. Work hard when you get to school. Until then, have some fun...pursue hobbies, spend time with a significant other if you have one (you won't have as much time when school starts...trust me on that too!!).

best of luck

Please don't waste the last free summer of your life reading Netter's. Seriously, the LAST FREE SUMMER OF YOUR LIFE!!!!!! If you were on death row, would you ask for brussels sprouts and broccoli for you last meal ? Don't blow this, dude.

I can understand you're excited about dental school so if you have to read something about dentistry, read this: The Excruciating History of Dentistry. It's not a textbook, but it is entertaining and educational. I'm sure you can find a copy on Amazon or Half.com for $5 or $10. But please, no textbooks.

PERFECT3435 said:
you are a nerd and you wanna study before dental school starts?

hmmmm,

ok then. i recommend that you buy the Netter's Atlas and go over the head and neck part. learn every structure you find associated with the head and neck. yep, all the bones, vasculature, nerves, and everything else.

now if you want my serius recommendation, then you should pick a different book. you know the kinds that has travel deals including the airfare, hotel, and rental cars etc. look through that and find a nice cruise to go on and then GO. have a blast and not worry about studying. you'd be glad you did that when you start school.

this kid is obviously a slacker and probably is hanging on by the skin on his arse....how do you do in DS, Mr. PERFECT? :D

ScorpiORTHO said:
Get Wheeler's Dental Anatomy. I did and it landed me an Honors in Dental Anatomy class. Woohoo!
Wheeler's? Really? My prof was a co-author on that book so it was designated as our official text. I HATED IT! The other book we had on our DVD was so much better. Everyone in our class complained about how bad it was explaining detail. I am glad to hear that someone liked it!! Good job on the honor by the way...

Gosh. Everyone says that the summer should be doing something fun. Well. Okay. I'll find something.

unlvdmd said:
Wheeler's? Really? My prof was a co-author on that book so it was designated as our official text. I HATED IT! The other book we had on our DVD was so much better. Everyone in our class complained about how bad it was explaining detail. I am glad to hear that someone liked it!! Good job on the honor by the way...

It's actually the best book out there for Dental Anatomy.

Wheeler's is an excellent text, but I wouldn't spend my final days before school studying anything. It won't put you much further ahead of your classmates, and undoubtedly there will be some further ahead of you even if you do study a text or two.

Just relax and do whatever you want to do (and if that is studying, then do that). But don't feel pressured to study. You don't know what is required of you yet, so your study hours won't be tremendously high yield.

Have fun!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're masochistic, Wheeler's isn't a bad choice. I have to say that I took a deep breath and had a nice relaxing summer before I started dental school. Spend time with friends, family, enemies, because you will not be seeing very much of them after things get rolling. I broke a finger playing b-ball two weeks before we started (which I wouldn't recommend doing), but you don't want to suffer burnout after your first semester, so come to school well-rested.

Nubbs :cool:

Save your studying for when you've actually started. You will be doing nothing but studying for the next four years.

Blah blah freekity blah!!! Just give the boy something to study already!

Maybe it will make him feel better for whatever reason.

Or someone can post again saying to "rest for the summer", then someone can come along again and post "rest for the summer", then someone can come along again and post "rest for the summer", then someone can come along again and post "rest for the summer", then someone can come along again and post "rest for the summer", then someone can come along again and post "rest for the summer"

Wow! Glad to know I was forced to study out of a book that apparentley isn't such a flop! (We secretly did our studying out or Woelfel's). :D Good to know...

germ said:
Blah blah freekity blah!!! Just give the boy something to study already!

Maybe it will make him feel better for whatever reason.

Or someone can post again saying to "rest for the summer", then someone can come along again and post "rest for the summer", then someone can come along again and post "rest for the summer", then someone can come along again and post "rest for the summer", then someone can come along again and post "rest for the summer", then someone can come along again and post "rest for the summer"
I guess you must have been one of the people to start studying the summer before you started as well. GOODJOB! :thumbdown:

ItsGavinC said:
Wheeler's is an excellent text, !

Stupid and useless book. Woelfel's much better.

KY2007 said:
I guess you must have been one of the people to start studying the summer before you started as well. GOODJOB! :thumbdown:

Really , what do you care if i study all freaking day. I find it funny that you actually have an emotional reaction to someones desire to excel.

ummm :thumbdown:

pocket brain Dental anatomy and occlusion...isbn 0965116271...excellent little book that summarizes teeth and not that hard to read

jk5177 said:

I don't read dental textbooks. I just like them for the pictures. :cool:
I'm living proof that you can get through dental school studying only classnotes. I erred early on buying textbooks. Only the clinical books are worth the paper they're printed on.

gumgardener2009 said:
I don't read dental textbooks. I just like them for the pictures. :cool:
I'm living proof that you can get through dental school studying only classnotes. I erred early on buying textbooks. Only the clinical books are worth the paper they're printed on.

So do you know of a nice pictorial dental book to buy? Perhaps that would be something find to browse through with my morning tea or something.

I like to thank everyone's response to reading or not reading dental books before school starts. In response, here is my own opinion. I tend to do better in school when I study beforehand, whether it is high yield or not isn't always clear, but it does provide me an emotional assurance; a slight lift one may say.

Furthermore, what have brought me thus far academically is my dedication to study beforehand in as many classes as possible. I believe that the hour we put in to preview lectures have a much higher yield than the hour we put in after the lecture as a review. Review is good, but I rather preview; that works the best for me.

I still want to have a summer; perhaps go travel a bit, do some volunteer work in monasteries, teach whenever I have the opportunity to do so, catch up with friends, enemies, past teachers, and etc. In addition to the activities, I will have free time, the time before sleep, the time in the morning, waiting time in the airports, or wherever. It is those free times that I like to do something productive and read... newspapers and magazines are great, and then the occasionally Wheeler's Dental Anatomy. There we go, and that's how Wheeler's Anatomy will play its role.

So for those of you who suggest taking the summer off, I value that thought, and I will definitely put that in to my routine.

Off to textbook websites...