Whats so bad about not sending in a LOR from Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you have your heart set on one of the big research schools, the adcom is going to be intersted in your interest in research because the schools themselves emphasize research (some, like Yale, require it for graduation from med school). If you aren't aiming for one of those schools, it is less important.

You can say, "I'm non-trad, etc " but that can't be used as an excuse to have a less than acceptable application. You need to show that you have "the stuff" that makes a good med student: academic credentials, intellectual curiosity, compassion, stamina, work ethic, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

LizzyM said:
If you have your heart set on one of the big research schools, the adcom is going to be intersted in your interest in research because the schools themselves emphasize research (some, like Yale, require it for graduation from med school). If you aren't aiming for one of those schools, it is less important.

You can say, "I'm non-trad, etc " but that can't be used as an excuse to have a less than acceptable application. You need to show that you have "the stuff" that makes a good med student: academic credentials, intellectual curiosity, compassion, stamina, work ethic, etc.

Another quick question for Lizzy,

If the school has only say a two science professor requirement for letters, is it best not to add an extra research letter? Wont adcoms only get annoyed?

nekrogg said:
Another quick question for Lizzy,

If the school has only say a two science professor requirement for letters, is it best not to add an extra research letter? Wont adcoms only get annoyed?

Make one of your science letters the one from your PI. The adcom will forgive you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lizzy,
I graduated and now work full time in a Research Clinic at UCLA. Is a letter from a PI here an acceptable substitute for a science letter from undergrad? I'm a non-science major, and therefore my science letters of rec are going to have to come from pre-req classes which had 300 students, and that I took 3-4 years ago. I did well in my 2 quarters of O-chem, but that prof retired 2 years ago. I'm slightly freaked out because I don't see how any of my former science profs are going to be able to say much about me other than I took their class and got "X" grade. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Mary

HailMary said:
Lizzy,
I graduated and now work full time in a Research Clinic at UCLA. Is a letter from a PI here an acceptable substitute for a science letter from undergrad? I'm a non-science major, and therefore my science letters of rec are going to have to come from pre-req classes which had 300 students, and that I took 3-4 years ago. I did well in my 2 quarters of O-chem, but that prof retired 2 years ago. I'm slightly freaked out because I don't see how any of my former science profs are going to be able to say much about me other than I took their class and got "X" grade. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Mary

I'd say yes to the PI letter. For the other science letter, it is not uncommon for students to have letters that don't say much because of the circumstances you describe. I think that schools that specify 2 science letters are shooting themselves in the foot in this regard. I don't know when they'll learn their lesson & give applicants more latitude.

LizzyM said:
I'd say yes to the PI letter. For the other science letter, it is not uncommon for students to have letters that don't say much because of the circumstances you describe. I think that schools that specify 2 science letters are shooting themselves in the foot in this regard. I don't know when they'll learn their lesson & give applicants more latitude.
Some schools do seem to give the latitude of substituting a science prof LOR with one from a summer research program advisor. :thumbup:

@OP, I'd say if you've done as much research as you say and have had co-authored a publication with your PI, he would write you a more than half-way decent letter. Just ask for it.

and as for the person who was said 'what if the PI doesn't speak English well?' I can only say that if they're doing research at a US institution and especially if they're under federal funding, even if they can't speak it well, they can probably write it well or if not that, then they have someone who can. Your PI might give a general outline to his/her secretary and have them draft a letter that he/she can proofread. Or the PI might have your grad student write it and the PI will sign it themselves. That or any other way they're going to be able to write you a good letter. Now if you've been flaking off in the lab, this might be a different story (although I think they would be more hardpressed to write a bad letter).

LizzyM said:
Don't list it among your ECs and no one will notice. Of course, if no one notices, you won't get the brownie points that big research med schools expect of the top applicants but it won't be a red flag.

Why should it be a red flag? I merely didn't get to spend enough time there because I went to study abroad the next semester. I still feel that I gained a lot of experience working on my own project and authoring a formal report. Should I absolutely keep it off my ECs?