what's the best books for first yr in neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Superdoctor2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi...:)
plase help me ... :confused:
i wanna know what are the best books for the first year of neurology residency (which is internal medicine).

i know it sounds a repeated question nevertheless i did not found any post concerning it.

thanks for help in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi...:)
plase help me ... :confused:
i wanna know what are the best books for the first year of neurology residency (which is internal medicine).

i know it sounds a repeated question nevertheless i did not found any post concerning it.

thanks for help in advance :)

what a timely post. i had been recently searching about this topic.

I have found following books, available for introduction/handbook type format, for anyone starting neurology residency.

MGH Handbook of Neurology(2007), The Washington Manual:Neurology Survival Guide(2003), Oxford Handbook of Neurology(2007), On Call Neurology(2007).

But the problem with above books is that they are few years old in publication.

The latest of such books is Oxford American Handbook of Neurology, released in August 2010.

Would like to know people's view about it.

Btw, there are three amazing lists of books to be used during Neurology Residency on amazon. I am sure you would like to check it.

How to enjoy your neurology residency

Neurology books: MUSTS for the Jr Resident

Neurology Resident

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe you couldn't find any of these using the search engine. I typed "neurology text" into the search field, and found these links easily.

In fact, I even found that some of the links have incredulous responses from me with other lists of links, like some sort of recursive Sisyphean task captured for posterity.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=644626&highlight=neurology+text

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=173362&highlight=neurology+text

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=601073&highlight=neurology+text

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=524403&highlight=neurology+text

Members don't see this ad :)
Gilman is well respected, but I've never read the book. I don't think there is really need for more than 1 pocket book in your arsenal -- if you start to rely to heavily on that type of book you will find large holes in your education.

I've always been partial to the MGH handbook, myself. But choose your own path.

Gilman is well respected, but I've never read the book. I don't think there is really need for more than 1 pocket book in your arsenal -- if you start to rely to heavily on that type of book you will find large holes in your education.

I've always been partial to the MGH handbook, myself. But choose your own path.

thanks for the reply sir.

I also want to stick with one handbook. And i am planning to buy handbook to read only as a quick guide and read (handbook) during wards & OPD.

Surely there are many other books (listed on amazon list & SDN posts mentioned above) which must be used during residency.

I am also confused between MGH & Gilman. MGH has been a classic for handbook, but Gillman has advantage of being latest.

Will be great if you or others could provide further input.

thanks for the reply sir.

I also want to stick with one handbook. And i am planning to buy handbook to read only as a quick guide and read (handbook) during wards & OPD.

Surely there are many other books (listed on amazon list & SDN posts mentioned above) which must be used during residency.

I am also confused between MGH & Gilman. MGH has been a classic for handbook, but Gillman has advantage of being latest.

Will be great if you or others could provide further input.

The little MGH is amazing, honestly. The things they managed to fit in their. Wow. And that goes for both the neuro handbook and thr IM one. Get both. :thumbup:

Some people choose to ALSo get the 'on call' neurology, though I've never seen it.

cyneuron , typhoonegator , bluntdissector...

:thumbup:
thanks for help :)...

:idea: so im gonna get The Massachusetts General Hospital Handbook of Internal Medicine (Pocket Notebook):cool:

but do you think i need Cecil's , Harrison's or tarascon pocket pharmacopoeia 2010 classic shirt-pocket edetion ???:confused:

cyneuron , typhoonegator , bluntdissector...

:thumbup:
thanks for help :)...

:idea: so im gonna get The Massachusetts General Hospital Handbook of Internal Medicine (Pocket Notebook):cool:

but do you think i need Cecil's , Harrison's or tarascon pocket pharmacopoeia 2010 classic shirt-pocket edetion ???:confused:

i would rather go for Gilman...personal choice.

What's the latest in the Pocket Neurology printing? I remember a yr or two ago that you had said this was in the works... (or have I just been under a rock and missed it?)

What's the latest in the Pocket Neurology printing? I remember a yr or two ago that you had said this was in the works... (or have I just been under a rock and missed it?)

as mentioned above, Oxford American Handbook of Neurology by Gilman seems to be the latest.