What's the best place to buy medical school books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UserNameNeeded

SOS
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cheapest, fastest, most reliable and online. I noticed a lot of the sites that sell books either don't have many of the needed texts or they're marked up to full retail price. So far the only thing that I have found is overstock.com, but I've never ordered from them before so I don't know how good they are.

I know I will *not* be ordering from Amazon, Barnes&Noble, Walmart.com or Target.com. They suck.

Members don't see this ad.

UserNameNeeded said:
Cheapest, fastest, most reliable and online. I noticed a lot of the sites that sell books either don't have many of the needed texts or they're marked up to full retail price. So far the only thing that I have found is overstock.com, but I've never ordered from them before so I don't know how good they are.

I know I will *not* be ordering from Amazon, Barnes&Noble, Walmart.com or Target.com. They suck.

I try to use e-bay and half.com (chosing sellers with high positive ffeedback).
For comparing prices I would highly recommend directtextbooks.com

For fast shipping: pay extra $$

UserNameNeeded said:

search google for "textbook search". i use sites that search a dozen or more online sites for and display cheapest books. i have gotten good, cheap books from amazon before (used). overstock is/was good last time i used them. for mcat studying, i bought the examkracker set for half price (new) from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I bought some books on amazon, and bought a lot from previous md 1 students. The books were cheap!

I saved $203 from book cost this semester by using this website. I subracted the cost from the bookstore for the cost I paid for the book + shipping from the sellers.

:love: :D

Bubchik said:
I try to use e-bay and half.com (chosing sellers with high positive ffeedback).
For comparing prices I would highly recommend directtextbooks.com

For fast shipping: pay extra $$

Genetics said:
I saved $203 from book cost this semester by using this website. I subracted the cost from the bookstore for the cost I paid for the book + shipping from the sellers.

:love: :D

Even better than this site, I recommend www.campusi.com ... put in the isbn and you're good to go... you can put in your zip code as well... it's better because it also considers many more retailers, like amazon UK and amazon canada. I found a neuro book for $60 cheaper from amazon UK that way... it came in 7 days, by "royal mail" which was kind of cool.

I just bought a used textbook from Amazon's marketplace for 76 cents.

I use www.discountmedicalbooks.com. Their prices are pretty reasonable and its free shipping on orders over $100. I have bought close to $1000 in books from them and have not had any problems.

Hope this helps.

The best way to save is by NOT buying books in the first place. You will only have a very small amount of time for reading/using books; most lecturers rely on and test out of their note packets/handouts. You can take a look at books in the bookstore or the library and see if there are any you really like, then buy those; it's often no big deal to get the book a couple of weeks into the course. Also, our school has an informal lending library of board study books etc.; find out whether yours does too.

Do not reflexively buy everything on the book list, even if it says it's required.

MeowMix said:
The best way to save is by NOT buying books in the first place. You will only have a very small amount of time for reading/using books; most lecturers rely on and test out of their note packets/handouts. You can take a look at books in the bookstore or the library and see if there are any you really like, then buy those; it's often no big deal to get the book a couple of weeks into the course. Also, our school has an informal lending library of board study books etc.; find out whether yours does too.

Do not reflexively buy everything on the book list, even if it says it's required.
I don't plan on buying all the books that are recommended. All the med students I've spoken have said as much. However, what they did recommend to buy will still leave a hole burning in my wallet....med school books are just expensive even if it's only a couple of books for a few classes.