starting med school, what to buy (eventually)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctry23

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone!

i am starting med school in a month and I've heard of many resources like boards and beyond, uworld, sketchy, pathoma, etc. Which resources are a MUST (I don't have money to buy everything) and when is the best time to use each?

Members don't see this ad.

Download Anki and YouTube how to use it. As far as B&B, UWorld, Sketchy, etc. --> just wait and see what your school offers for free and then slowly start with one or two resources.

My favs:
Anki (using the Anking deck, free*), B&B ($$), UWorld ($$$), Amboss (esp the Anki add-on, $), Sketchy ($$).

I have pathoma, First-Aid, and some other textbooks (Costanzo physio, EKG, etc.) but I rarely opened them until dedicated since they were all integrated into the Anking deck YMMV

Reactions: 1 user
hi everyone!

i am starting med school in a month and I've heard of many resources like boards and beyond, uworld, sketchy, pathoma, etc. Which resources are a MUST (I don't have money to buy everything) and when is the best time to use each?
Wait to buy because a lot of the upperclassman will have hand-me-downs of all of those things passed on to each other

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t buy anything yet. My school provided pathoma, sketchy, USMLE Rx, and UWorld (or rather included these in tuition). I bought BnB and AMBOSS, but these aren’t for everyone.