What's the best way of sending LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neon Black

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My plan was to get a letter from my profs and put all three in a bigger package and send that out to each school (1 package per school with priority mail so I have peace of mind that they got there). I figure it might be easier this way than have each prof mail it out seperately.

Anyone have any input on this?

Members don't see this ad.

i asked my recommenders to send theirs to the AADSAS.. or, like you said, you'd better collect and forward 'em to each school instead ("most" schools accept this method). when you do this, make sure to have the envelope openings signed by ur profs. good luck!

Tell me if I'm wrong, but can't you also just collect the letters from your profs (in envelopes signed across the flap) and mail them with your transcripts. That's what I was going to do. Is this method acceptable???

Reading the AADSAS directions seemed like you could do it this way and avoid any matching forms or confusion about when each item was sent or arrived??

Somebody tell me if I'm making a mistake here? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I find the most reliable and hassle-free way is to do it through your college's preprofessional advising office.

You are supposed to go to them as a freshman and have them open a file for you, then have your professors send the LOR to the office for your duration as a college student. When time comes to apply to dental/med school, the office will then copy and mail all the LOR packages for you to the schools you specify.

Worked for me.

I have a similar question. I am about two years away (maybe 1.5 away) from applying but I know I could get a real good letter of recomendation from a current prof. The problem is that he may not be teaching at my university by the time I need to get a letter. Is there anyway I could ask him for a letter now, and send it with my application a year or two from now? Is this permitted?

Thanks!

Mr.E said:
I have a similar question. I am about two years away (maybe 1.5 away) from applying but I know I could get a real good letter of recomendation from a current prof. The problem is that he may not be teaching at my university by the time I need to get a letter. Is there anyway I could ask him for a letter now, and send it with my application a year or two from now? Is this permitted?

Thanks!

Dude, I think it's excellent that you are thinking so far ahead. These are things that many of us wish we had done back when we finished our classes. Plus, it will relieve the stress of having to get your LORs together when your time comes to apply. However, there is one downside to getting a letter this early and that is if you see yourself having a future contact with this professor (maybe working in his lab for example), in which case it could be better to have him write the letter for you closer to application time. Otherwise, just ask him to write the letter now and have him send it to your schools career center (you would need to open up an account with them first) or if your school does not have a career center which gathers LORs, set up an account with Interfolio. And for your last question: Yes, it is permitted. Good luck!

Eddie830 said:
Dude, I think it's excellent that you are thinking so far ahead. These are things that many of us wish we had done back when we finished our classes. Plus, it will relieve the stress of having to get your LORs together when your time comes to apply. However, there is one downside to getting a letter this early and that is if you see yourself having a future contact with this professor (maybe working in his lab for example), in which case it could be better to have him write the letter for you closer to application time. Otherwise, just ask him to write the letter now and have him send it to your schools career center (you would need to open up an account with them first) or if your school does not have a career center which gathers LORs, set up an account with Interfolio. And for your last question: Yes, it is permitted. Good luck!

One last question. I only have one more year at the current institution that I attend (UCI). After this I will be completing my pre-reqs at the local CC. Given that I will not be attending the four year university after the end of June 2005 could I still just ask him to write a letter of rec. and hand it to me in a sealed envelope till the time comes to apply? Or do I need to have him send it interfolio or something? BTW what is interfolio?