What’s the catch?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So reduce that 500k by the 50k it takes to send your kids to private school...

Now you've got a job out in the middle of nowhere, for 450k... You could have 400k (at least) in an actually decent area... who would choose the boonies for that little bit more?

In the decent area you can send your kids to a nice public school, they can make friends with non-hooligans, they can be close to the culture of the city and a town that doe not shut down for the majority of the year.. why would you let your kids have a worse life for a little more money and less COL?

Some people do not see it this way and continue to move out of my area for the boonies because the contract is slightly better, yeah of course its slightly or significanly better, look where you have to live!!

These 500k jobs in the boonies are a dime a dozen, the problem is you have to LIVE there

Op can just as easily live in Stony Brook area or Westhampton beach for a 30 minute commute to work where kids will be at good public schools.

No reason to live in Riverhead when one works there.

Members don't see this ad.

So reduce that 500k by the 50k it takes to send your kids to private school...

Now you've got a job out in the middle of nowhere, for 450k... You could have 400k (at least) in an actually decent area... who would choose the boonies for that little bit more?

In the decent area you can send your kids to a nice public school, they can make friends with non-hooligans, they can be close to the culture of the city and a town that doe not shut down for the majority of the year.. why would you let your kids have a worse life for a little more money and less COL?

Some people do not see it this way and continue to move out of my area for the boonies because the contract is slightly better, yeah of course its slightly or significanly better, look where you have to live!!

These 500k jobs in the boonies are a dime a dozen, the problem is you have to LIVE there
Not everyone has children you know.
And plenty of us hate city life and all it’s accompanying drama. Maybe they want to move out of your city to get away from all the city adult “hooligans”.
Some of us really enjoy the quiet of the country and boonies. We are all different you know.

And why are these kids in this school district considered “hooligans”?
Maybe you know more than me since you may be closer to the area.

Not everyone has children you know.
And plenty of us hate city life and all it’s accompanying drama. Maybe they want to move out of your city to get away from all the city adult “hooligans”.
Some of us really enjoy the quiet of the country and boonies. We are all different you know.

And why are these kids in this school district considered “hooligans”?
Maybe you know more than me since you may be closer to the area.

The decision isnt CITY vs BOONIES.

The decision live somewhere NICE where you can have pride where you live, or live somewhere strange with possibly terrible consequences for your family for a little bit more

The reason I have strong feelings here is because I work in one of these desireable areas, it doesnt mean its a city, but its a very nice suburb of NYC where I myself grew up and has great schools/activities/cultural opportunities.. the stuff you cant put a price on..

I have seen several people turn down a job around me to go to Upstate NY for example, I can never understand it.. the only way I can understand it is to think that those people don't know what there missing..YES its more money, YES its less call, have you looked at where it is and what life is like there?

Even for a single person, I would emplore you to enjoy your life and not go somewhere strange, dont take the job in rural maine or idaho for 20% more, take the job in MIami or LA or NYC and enjoy your life that you have earned

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The decision isnt CITY vs BOONIES.

The decision live somewhere NICE where you can have pride where you live, or live somewhere strange with possibly terrible consequences for your family for a little bit more

The reason I have strong feelings here is because I work in one of these desireable areas, it doesnt mean its a city, but its a very nice suburb of NYC where I myself grew up and has great schools/activities/cultural opportunities.. the stuff you cant put a price on..

I have seen several people turn down a job around me to go to Upstate NY for example, I can never understand it.. the only way I can understand it is to think that those people don't know what there missing..YES its more money, YES its less call, have you looked at where it is and what life is like there?

Even for a single person, I would emplore you to enjoy your life and not go somewhere strange, dont take the job in rural maine or idaho for 20% more, take the job in MIami or LA or NYC and enjoy your life that you have earned
You don't seem to get it. Everyone's idea of enjoyment is different. Chilling out in the countryside, hiking, biking, nature, animals is enjoyment for some people. You love where you live, but you couldn't pay me enough money to live where you live. We are all different. Maybe it's not just about money for these people who choose to go to these places. I know a CRNA who was itching to move to upstate NY because her husband's family was there and she loved it there. Wanted to leave a nice suburb of Maryland for it. Not everyone wants the Miami or LA or NYC traffic and party scene and congestion every where. And yeah, a 2500SF house that costs $1 million dollars. And the overpriced everything else. Yeah, no,

You are looking at things through your eyes and what you find enjoyable and therefore, of course you cannot understand it.

Hey @Noyac, what's your idea of enjoying life in your smaller town?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You don't seem to get it. Everyone's idea of enjoyment is different. Chilling out in the countryside, hiking, biking, nature, animals is enjoyment for some people. You love where you live, but you couldn't pay me enough money to live where you live. We are all different. Maybe it's not just about money for these people who choose to go to these places. I know a CRNA who was itching to move to upstate NY because her husband's family was there and she loved it there. Wanted to leave a nice suburb of Maryland for it. Not everyone wants the Miami or LA or NYC traffic and party scene and congestion every where. And yeah, a 2500SF house that costs $1 million dollars. And the overpriced everything else. Yeah, no,

You are looking at things through your eyes and what you find enjoyable and therefore, of course you cannot understand it.

Would just like to point out the irony (slight hypocrisy?) in telling someone he/she is "looking at things through your eyes... of course you cannot understand" but in the same post hating on Miami /LA/NYC because apparently all those cities have going for them is traffic, parties and congestion...

But congrats on your 4000th comment!

• Haha
Would just like to point out the irony (slight hypocrisy?) in telling someone he/she is "looking at things through your eyes... of course you cannot understand" but in the same post hating on Miami /LA/NYC because apparently all those cities have going for them is traffic, parties and congestion...

But congrats on your 4000th comment!
I have 4000 comments? Woohoo!!

Of course I am going to try and use my dislike for big cities to show him that not everyone wants to be there and those are not necessarily enjoyable for everyone because those are the cities he/she pointed out that he/she thinks are fun and full of culture. How the hell is that hypocritical or ironic? Did I say that is what "ALL" those cities are going for them?
What is it with some of you people with this all or none stuff? Those are just the main things I pointed out that I can't stand about those cities.

what do you mean YOU people???
I mean Some of You people who pick apart a phrase and put a blanket statement on it. Like to argue your points based on all or none phenomenon when the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Kinda like what you are doing right now. I specifically said Some of you People, and you picked out what part? Don't read too much into it, but I understand that on the internet it is difficult to tell someone's intent. We all misunderstand sometimes.

In this thread I specifically pointed out the things that I hate about the big cities and someone comes and says that I said "apparently all those cities have to offer is traffic, congestion, high prices " blah blah blah when I never said that. Poster read it wrong, interpreted it wrong and put a blanket statement on my comment.

Any further explanation needed?

No Im not sure you are understanding the message of my post.

Im saying live where you are happy. And that living where you are happy has intrinsic value.

That may very well be upstate NY due to family, that may well be NYC, or rural nebraska

Just dont live somewhere you dont want to be because of a little bit more money, location matters to your happiness probably a lot more than that extra 50k does, so give creedence to WHERE the job is in relation to YOUr ideal area wherever that may be...

Lots of people willing to live in BFE with no family connections for that little extra coin and they dont know what they are missing by not living in a location where they would be happier...

The suffering is over, residency is over, don't suffer through BFE for that extra money, go where you are happy wherever that may be, because the pay is not that much different...

To bring this back to the original point, that is the "catch" here with this job posting, unless you have a family connection to this vacation beach town way out on long island, this isnt likely to be a desireable place for many people, and hence the salary increase.. they are paying for your suffering in this non ideal location ( for most )

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Also be careful when recruiters just post a job and say 500k. A 500k PACKAGE is a much different than a 500K SALARY. I'm sure most of us know that but just in case some new grads are lurking.

Also remember, recruiters get paid to RECRUIT. They're doing whatever they can to get their client a body. Whatever happens to you once you have the job they don't care.

Reactions: 3 users
No Im not sure you are understanding the message of my post.

Im saying live where you are happy. And that living where you are happy has intrinsic value.

That may very well be upstate NY due to family, that may well be NYC, or rural nebraska

Just dont live somewhere you dont want to be because of a little bit more money, location matters to your happiness probably a lot more than that extra 50k does, so give creedence to WHERE the job is in relation to YOUr ideal area wherever that may be...

Lots of people willing to live in BFE with no family connections for that little extra coin and they dont know what they are missing by not living in a location where they would be happier...

The suffering is over, residency is over, don't suffer through BFE for that extra money, go where you are happy wherever that may be, because the pay is not that much different...

To bring this back to the original point, that is the "catch" here with this job posting, unless you have a family connection to this vacation beach town way out on long island, this isnt likely to be a desireable place for many people, and hence the salary increase.. they are paying for your suffering in this non ideal location ( for most )
I will agree with you on this, if you know for a fact that these people who are moving out of your lovely town are only moving for money and otherwise hate living in the boonies.
Otherwise you are making assumptions about their idea of fun and and happiness based on your preferences and egocentric views.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean Some of You people who pick apart a phrase and put a blanket statement on it. Like to argue your points based on all or none phenomenon when the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Kinda like what you are doing right now. I specifically said Some of you People, and you picked out what part? Don't read too much into it, but I understand that on the internet it is difficult to tell someone's intent. We all misunderstand sometimes.

In this thread I specifically pointed out the things that I hate about the big cities and someone comes and says that I said "apparently all those cities have to offer is traffic, congestion, high prices " blah blah blah when I never said that. Poster read it wrong, interpreted it wrong and put a blanket statement on my comment.

Any further explanation needed?

a 2500 sf house for 1M? is that supposed to be overpriced? sounds pretty sweet to me

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
i know its different for everyone but 500k vs 450k is not that different in NY. id rather prefer a better quality of life than hustle hard for that extra 50k which after taxes and crap is more 25k take home.

A level 2 / soon to be level 1 trauma center alone is ROUGH. Especially if you are the only one at night. see how they are staffed. what will you do when you are in a case overnight and another emergency hits? i def would not take the stress for 50k pretax

Reactions: 1 user
Meanwhil speaking of long island. anyone know if Stonybrook has pension ? its a state hospital but not sure if theres pension for anesthesiologists

a 2500 sf house for 1M? is that supposed to be overpriced? sounds pretty sweet to me
For 1 million dollars in my town, I could get a couple of acres and a McMansion. At least 5000SF. And a pool. And maybe a tennis court. And this is in the suburbs of a major city. With too much damn traffic.

How about 2300SF in a great neighborhood <10 minutes from the hospital for $200K? You should look into the Midwest.

How about 2300SF in a great neighborhood <10 minutes from the hospital for $200K? You should look into the Midwest.
But there is no culture. And no museums. And no broadway. And no fancy Michelin or five star restaurants with seven course meals. And no major sports teams. And no Four Seasons hotels.

I mean, it sounds down right miserable.

How about 2300SF in a great neighborhood QUOTE]

The medium construction cost is around 100-160$/sq foot.

I am concerned about the conditions and amenities of this 200k house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol I got a good deal on my house but it's in great shape and I could probably sell it for nearly $50K more right now. 4bed 2.5bath. I've done a lot of work on it to update things (flooring, baseboards, painted walls, painted cabinets, redid a bathroom, and planning for my deck and another bathroom soon and lastly probably replace carpet) but nothing is bad or falling apart or dangerous. My updates were due to preference. It's only 26yrs old. I just live in a low COL area and it's awesome.

But there is no culture. And no museums. And no broadway. And no fancy Michelin or five star restaurants with seven course meals. And no major sports teams. And no Four Seasons hotels.

I don't really need any of that to be happy honestly. My gripe with 'rural' America is that there is no good ethnic food options i.e. the only Chinese restaurant in town is "Dragon and Phoenix" whose specialty dish are 'General Tso' and 'Orange Chicken' or some mutated version of 'Phoh' if I want some Kebabs or Tandoori chicken for dinner, I am even more SOL.

Also the public school system is usually terrible. If you are married, it's hard to raise a family and send your kids there.

Also it's very 'Trumpy' in rural America, anyone who is remotely 'ethnic' is going to to stick out like a sore thumb and personally, I would feel very nervous for myself and/or my kids, especially in America 2020. A more diverse locale would allow people like me to blend in and thrive and these are generally big metro areas.

Not everyone who doesn't like the boonies are into the 'party scene.'

Reactions: 10 users
I don't really need any of that to be happy honestly. My gripe with 'rural' America is that there is no good ethnic food options i.e. the only Chinese restaurant in town is "Dragon and Phoenix" whose specialty dish are 'General Tso' and 'Orange Chicken' or some mutated version of 'Phoh' if I want some Kebabs or Tandoori chicken for dinner, I am even more SOL.

Also the public school system is usually terrible. If you are married, it's hard to raise a family and send your kids there.

Also it's very 'Trumpy' in rural America, anyone who is remotely 'ethnic' is going to to stick out like a sore thumb and personally, I would feel very nervous for myself and/or my kids, especially in America 2020. A more diverse locale would allow people like me to blend in and thrive and these are generally big metro areas.

Not everyone who doesn't like the boonies are into the 'party scene.'
Let all those "Trumpy" people talk all the noise they want behind my back. And maybe some (very few) are bold enough to say it to my face. But there are alot of midsize towns in the Midwest and South that have a nice sprinkle of us ethnic people. I am talking of towns with populations of 200-500K with plenty of ethnic choices in food enough for my taste. You ain't gotta go all the way rural to avoid the traffic and congestion and "party scene", and boogie people.

I have been in plenty of small towns (population 15-50K) Never had any issues that I can count on more than one hand. Yeah, the occasional patient who doesn't want to be taken care of by an N....., the little kids who aren't used to people of color who stare and stare, the lack of ethnic hair products, the lack of ethnic hair salons. But those aren't that much of a big deal. Just drive a little and you will find what you are looking for.

But those midsize cities of about 200-500K seem to be my sweet spot. Often times in the South, those cities have about 60% Caucasians and then a bunch of minorities.

Some people like A. Some people like B. Some people like XYZ. Can't we just agree to disagree? Everyone wins!

That would be on the water for me.

5000 well built sq foot on 2 desirable acres was just over half that around here.

I would rate the “culture” here as a 4/10 though. For me, that is 2 points higher than what I need to keep myself happy. I do enjoy the few times a year I get an airbnb in a different city and spend a long weekend or a week eating at fancy restaurants and doing big city activities. But that is more than enough noise and traffic for me. I wouldn’t move to Nee York for double my salary, which is substantially more than people there are making.

For 1 million dollars in my town, I could get a couple of acres and a McMansion. At least 5000SF. And a pool. And maybe a tennis court. And this is in the suburbs of a major city. With too much damn traffic.

Last edited:
  • Love
That would be on the water for me.

5000 well built sq foot on 2 desirable acres was just over half that around here.

I would rate the “culture” here as a 4/10 though. For me, that is 2 points higher than what I need to keep myself happy. I do enjoy the few times a year I get an airbnb in a different city and spend a long weekend or a week eating at fancy restaurants and doing big city activities. But that is more than enough noise and traffic for me. I wouldn’t move to Nee York for double my salary, which is substantially more than people there are making.

Is there salt in said water?

Also be careful when recruiters just post a job and say 500k. A 500k PACKAGE is a much different than a 500K SALARY. I'm sure most of us know that but just in case some new grads are lurking.

Also remember, recruiters get paid to RECRUIT. They're doing whatever they can to get their client a body. Whatever happens to you once you have the job they don't care.
Lie cheat and steal

Beauty of medicine is you can have a great career even if you want to live out in the country. Give me a five minute commute , birds and trees and a nice quiet life away from the smog and congestion. And I will take a little extra dough along with it. Course I am not single in my 30s either.

I love my two museum memberships and I can walk to an NBA game. For some it could be miserable.

If calls started around 3-5pm-7am. (Every day including weekends Maybe it would make the job more reasonable for trauma 2. Trauma 2 easily means call person gonna to work to at least 11pm each night. And pray no extra cases

late doc gonna to work to 8-9pm routinely.
Without context how much working hours are. 500k means nothing

each week of vacation is worth 10k easily as well. How much vacation?

knowing how