What's the deal with H1B visa these days?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M3dhop3ful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am hearing that H1Bs are becoming harder and harder to get, with not apparently programs making you pay for them and giving them compensation. What is the current state of H1B attainability? What is the future of the H1B visa and its attainability for Canadian US grads?

Finally, how much does med school reputation matter in all this?

Members don't see this ad.

Its becoming less and less common. Theres a significant increase in US DO and MD grads, as well as US citizens who attended med school outside the us, or doctors from other countries with a green card. Then theres all the people who would be happy with the J1, which most programs offer. All of the above groups can fill most of the spots, and are increasing in #. I think there will still be a few shady programs that will have residents pay cash for a spot in the program with an H1B.

Its becoming less and less common. Theres a significant increase in US DO and MD grads, as well as US citizens who attended med school outside the us, or doctors from other countries with a green card. Then theres all the people who would be happy with the J1, which most programs offer. All of the above groups can fill most of the spots, and are increasing in #. I think there will still be a few shady programs that will have residents pay cash for a spot in the program with an H1B.

But is that a bad thing if MDs can pay their program of choice for an H1B? is this for all programs or just the more competitive ones?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
the more competitive ones dont bother with H1B. I think if youve already paid $200K for med school paying for residency would be a bad thing. Programs dont openly advertise that they'll accept$$ for H1B, and it changes between years, specialties and applicants.

the more competitive ones dont bother with H1B. I think if youve already paid $200K for med school paying for residency would be a bad thing. Programs dont openly advertise that they'll accept$$ for H1B, and it changes between years, specialties and applicants.

I heard that it only costs a couple thousand, so what is a couple thousand more on top of 200,000.

Also I heard university affiliated hospitals can better fund you.

There were people who actually called up and asked schools whether they gave Visas for Canadian citizens who are US med school grads and a big number of them said yes even though they had officially said no. Did you call up the schools?

I heard that it only costs a couple thousand, so what is a couple thousand more on top of 200,000.

Also I heard university affiliated hospitals can better fund you.

There were people who actually called up and asked schools whether they gave Visas for Canadian citizens who are US med school grads and a big number of them said yes even though they had officially said no. Did you call up the schools?

The amount to be paid is going beyond the legal costs for the visa (which is pushing 10K).
University hospitals tend to have more $$, but they have little need to sponsor visas as they tend to attract american grads.
Calling the program is the best way to get visa info. I know of a few people who called 100+ programs. In my experience (which is limited) its a waste of time.

What is your experience?

Sigh... this is very disheartening to hear. I'll still hope for the best that I'll be able to secure an H-1B visa for residency, as I think it's possible, but I'm beginning to get less and less optimistic. Man, I wish I had a green card...

All is not lost. While the H1B may not be an option, the J1 will likely still be attainable. With a J1 you'd essentially be on the same footing as US grads. The only problem is coming back to Canada (or wherever) for 2 years. Certainly easier and more pleasant for some specialties than others.

Do you know if Canadians going for the J1 need a letter from Health Canada, or can it all be done purely through ECFMG? I really don't like dealing the government and its bureaucracies, and secondly I don't know if Health Canada would approve a J-1 for osteopathic medical students. Thoughts?

J-1 visas are always available.
and H1Bs are still pretty common for at least primary care specialties, so says a program director here.

Do you know if Canadians going for the J1 need a letter from Health Canada, or can it all be done purely through ECFMG? I really don't like dealing the government and its bureaucracies, and secondly I don't know if Health Canada would approve a J-1 for osteopathic medical students. Thoughts?

Yes, you will need a Statement of Need from Health Canada. I'm not sure if you need to pass the MCCEE to qualify. Are D.O schools accredited by the LCME? If yes, then you don't need to take the MCCEE. If no, then you need a passing score on it. You should call them and find out for sure.

More information under this link:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/hhr-rhs/strateg/postgrad-postdoc/index-eng.php

Good Luck.

Last edited: