Whats the Deal with H1B visa?

Started by Blitz2006
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Blitz2006

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,

So my question is, for all you guys going to carribean who are Non-U.S. citizens (ie. Canadians) and plan on coming to the U.S for residency, what is your plan? I am now learning that to get a H1B visa, you can only write Step 3 AFTER you graduate, and thus forcing you to have to miss a full year after you get your M.D (correct me if I'm wrong). So does that mean that anyone who wants H1B visa automatically has to tack on another year of just waiting? Response appreciated, thanks.

P.S. I plan on going to medical school in the UK, but I know there are many more Canadians who are going to carribean....
 
The plan is simple. We either wait an extra year to take care of the H1B or we marry an American before we graduate medical school.

If arrangements are made with a residency program that NEEDS you badly then you might be able to squeeze in on time, but that has issues of its own.

Your other choice is the J1 but that is a headache all in itself.



Hey,

So my question is, for all you guys going to carribean who are Non-U.S. citizens (ie. Canadians) and plan on coming to the U.S for residency, what is your plan? I am now learning that to get a H1B visa, you can only write Step 3 AFTER you graduate, and thus forcing you to have to miss a full year after you get your M.D (correct me if I'm wrong). So does that mean that anyone who wants H1B visa automatically has to tack on another year of just waiting? Response appreciated, thanks.

P.S. I plan on going to medical school in the UK, but I know there are many more Canadians who are going to carribean....