What's the deal with Loyola?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KMorris3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, it's time somebody complained about this school. I was just reading another topic entitled "Are you still waiting for interview" or something like that, and more than half the people there stated that they haven't heard anything from Loyola after applying. I am among this group of people.

Now, it wouldn't be so bad if I didn't spend so much time filling out their secondary, which had like six or seven essay questions in addition to the other materials to fill out.

In addition, they stated on the application that they would send a card indicating when my file was complete. Did I get this card? No. It's been like three months and I am positive my file is complete.

Now I'm sorry, but all of the medical schools to which I applied have sent me at least something. So I ask all of you; what's the deal with Loyola?

Members don't see this ad.

I ditto your sentiments on Loyola. I got the file completion card about two months after my file was complete. Needless to say, I was not amused by their incompetence.

Another thing about Loyola is that you can only call to check on your file status on Thursdays 1-4(5) CST. If you call any other time the admissions office lady will simply tell you to call back. How annoying.

And when you do make the call, the most info you can get out is whether your file is complete or not. That's it. They don't even tell you whether your file has been reviewed or in review or anything of that nature. They are pretty much useless.

I'm sure they have started interviewing though. So what's the deal?

Yes, Loyola has been interviewing since September, but I wouldn't be too dismayed if you were expecting an interview from them and haven't gotten it yet (like me). From talking to many people who have interviewed there, all of them were offered positions shortly after the interview. This is not to say that everyone was accepted, but it gives me the impression that Loyola is being very selective in offering interviews thus far. So it's my guess that if you really think you should be getting an interview from them, you probably will in the next month or two. Also, someone on another thread stated that they called Loyola to see what was up, and the admissions office told him that they were done meeting 'till January (this was posted several weeks ago). So I think they are just being selective and slow. Hope this helps.

Oh, by the way, to the first poster, if you haven't received the little yellow postcard that tells you your file is complete I would call them ASAP. You never know if something got lost.

[This message has been edited by Orange (edited 12-25-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe this will be of help. I had my file complete at the end of August. I called two weeks ago and found out I'm in the hold pile and my file wont be re-reviewed until after Feb. So it might be good to ask them whats up with your app.

Originally posted by Riesling:
And when you do make the call, the most info you can get out is whether your file is complete or not. That's it. They don't even tell you whether your file has been reviewed or in review or anything of that nature. They are pretty much useless.

This wasn't true for me. When I called several weeks ago (on a Thursday, between 1 and 4, of course!) I was told that my application had been reviewed and was put on hold for further review after the New Year. Perhaps they will be more forthcoming if you call again, since it is much later in the process now.

one thing you might want to know about loyola, i think that they fill their class by december 31, i believe that interviews after that are for the waitlist. at least, i think i remember them mentioning that.

I still don't think it means anything if Loyola says my file is on hold for further review. Nobody I know has been rejected from Loyola yet--I think they just put everybody on hold if not given an interview.

Ok, let me ask this: Has anyone here been rejected from Loyola? If they do simply put everyone on hold, then that's a really poor way to run the admissions process.

I interviewed late october (and was accepted in late november). I can back up some earlier posts. First, an admissions officer confirmed that Loyola fills their class by the end of December. All interviews after December are for wait-list positions. Second, if you are offered an interview, you are virtually assured either admission or a position on the wait list (unless you are a VERY poor match for the school). Admissions people at Loyola said that only 6 people who interviewed last year were rejected.

But as for those waiting on interviews... I'm not sure when or if rejections are sent.

I just wanted to tell you all that I interviewed at Loyola today (1/10/01) and they told us that our interviews were for the alternate list. I was pretty surprised once I got there, but I know many people who attend school there that were accepted from the wait list.