• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!

mypointlesspov

2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
Hey everyone,

I'm mid-postdoc year and starting to look for jobs; I've been seeing a ton of generic listings for "Psychologist (PhD or PsyD)" that ultimately lead to postings from one large company. The salary and benefits seem too good to be true and I'm very wary about working for any corporations. Does anyone have any experience working for any companies like this? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

beginner2011

Beginner's Mind
10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Hey everyone,

I'm mid-postdoc year and starting to look for jobs; I've been seeing a ton of generic listings for "Psychologist (PhD or PsyD)" that ultimately lead to postings from one large company. The salary and benefits seem too good to be true and I'm very wary about working for any corporations. Does anyone have any experience working for any companies like this? Thanks in advance!

I know of at least 1 clinical psychologist who I respect a great deal who went from a research position at a major AMC to a major corporation in industry (not a health services corporation) within the last year. I don't know the details of their current duties or anything beyond the change of employment, though. For whatever that's worth.

Sanman

O.G.
Sep 2, 2000
Dreaming of Margaritaville
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
I am well aware of several large corporations that hire psychologists (particularly in the LTC/nursing home arena, but other areas as well). Salary and benefits can be decent. The trick is paying attention to the RVU scheme for full-time employees. Salaries are often similar for wildly different expectations. I was offered salaries in the $75-90k range for seeing anywhere from 8-12 patients per day. 8 is doable, 12 not necessarily. Many of these places will take you off salary and benefits and make you a contract worker if you are not meeting RVUs consistently.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

AcronymAllergy

Neuropsychologist
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
I am well aware for of several large corporations that hire psychologists (particularly in the LTC/nursing home arena, but other areas as well). Salary and benefits can be decent. The trick is paying attention to the RVU scheme for full-time employees. Salaries are often similar for wildly different expectations. I was offered salaries in the $75-90k range for seeing anywhere from 8-12 patients per day. 8 is doable, 12 not necessarily. Many of these places will take you off salary and benefits and make you a contract worker if you are not meeting RVUs consistently.

I'm no lawyer or expert in employment law, but the bolded seems to me like it might be kind of illegal, depending perhaps on how other aspects of the job are setup. I don't at all doubt that it happens, though.

erg923

Regional Clinical Officer, Centene Corporation
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
Hey everyone,

Really??? It looks like pretty entry level stuff (75-80K?), standard insurance and retirement plan (nothing to right home about), many non recognized/not automatic paid holidays, and giant RVU expectations from the ones I've seen.

Are you talking about the explosion of corporations in the past 10 years that offer "a flexible schedule to work in a variety of nursing homes and other long-term care facilities in your area TODAY?" If so, those are known, collegially, as "the Medicare factories/exploiters." Probably half of what you do is really necessary or has any significant clinical impact?

I can think of another in my area that isn't this though...compensation is "up to 120K" for a pretty brutal RVU expectation, so I've heard? Mostly therapy...and definitely milking "testing" from what I know.

Last edited:

Sanman

O.G.
Sep 2, 2000
Dreaming of Margaritaville
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
I'm no lawyer or expert in employment law, but the bolded seems to me like it might be kind of illegal, depending perhaps on how other aspects of the job are setup. I don't at all doubt that it happens, though.

I'm no expert either. However, I have seen them do it. I am sure there is language somewhere as to what constitutes full-time work and my guess this they are arguing that you are not keeping full-time hours.

modestmousktr

7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2013
Status (Visible)
I read this in Jerry Seinfeld’s voice and legitimately thought it was a joke thread before I saw the first post, haha! 🤣

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.