• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

What's the deal with the 3+3 Plastics programs?

dr. neek

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2003
    Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can elaborate on how one would go about applying to a 3+3 Plastics program (especially in NYC). I understand the integrated way, and I know there are very very few spots in the northeast. I also understand the 5+2 Gen Surg. + fellowship route. But does each program save the plastics spots for residents for when they finish PGY-3, or do you have to apply to the second 3 years as though it were a fellowship?

Please enlighten, I'm bit confused because the websites don't explain the process.

Thanks!

supafly007

10+ Year Member
    Jan 6, 2005
      For all practical purposes, applying to a combined 3+3 program is the same as applying to an integrated program.

You are essentially guranteed a spot after the G Surg years just the same as those that went through an integrated program. No applications no interviews etc. It is just a technical issue regarding which department is responsible for your education those first years with G Surg.

About the Ads

dr. neek

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Feb 18, 2003
        thanks supafly,

So my million dollar question is: where can I actually get a list of combined programs? I have searched high and low, on FRIEDA, Scutwork.com, and other sites to find a list. Any ideas where else I can look? Also, any other advice for an aspiring PS?

Thanks!!

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.