What's the deal with the 3+3 Plastics programs?

Started by dr. neek
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dr. neek

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can elaborate on how one would go about applying to a 3+3 Plastics program (especially in NYC). I understand the integrated way, and I know there are very very few spots in the northeast. I also understand the 5+2 Gen Surg. + fellowship route. But does each program save the plastics spots for residents for when they finish PGY-3, or do you have to apply to the second 3 years as though it were a fellowship?

Please enlighten, I'm bit confused because the websites don't explain the process.

Thanks!
 
For all practical purposes, applying to a combined 3+3 program is the same as applying to an integrated program.

You are essentially guranteed a spot after the G Surg years just the same as those that went through an integrated program. No applications no interviews etc. It is just a technical issue regarding which department is responsible for your education those first years with G Surg.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thanks supafly,

So my million dollar question is: where can I actually get a list of combined programs? I have searched high and low, on FRIEDA, Scutwork.com, and other sites to find a list. Any ideas where else I can look? Also, any other advice for an aspiring PS?

Thanks!!