What's the difference between DDS and DMD?????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gujuDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
gujuDoc said:
So I don't ever post in this side of SDN, since I'm not predental or anything, although I have a few friends who are, but I was curious about something and have been for a very long time, but never gotten a clearn answer to this question........

What is the difference between DDS and DMD???????

DDS are real dentists, and DMD's are posers.

Or is it the other way around?

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread had some potential...

Rezdawg said:
This thread had some potential...

ill let it go next time. probably get another one in a few days.

gujuDoc said:
So I don't ever post in this side of SDN, since I'm not predental or anything, although I have a few friends who are, but I was curious about something and have been for a very long time, but never gotten a clearn answer to this question........

What is the difference between DDS and DMD???????

I've heard this straight from my family dentist (I shadowed him). He said that a DDS is given to dentists in the South, and a DMD is given to dentists in the North. There is NO difference between the two. They both mean that your a dentist. One is not better than the other. Hope this helped. :D

DentalGal said:
I've heard this straight from my family dentist (I shadowed him). He said that a DDS is given to dentists in the South, and a DMD is given to dentists in the North. There is NO difference between the two. They both mean that your a dentist. One is not better than the other. Hope this helped. :D

columbia's in the north and THEY give out DDS

plazaday said:
columbia's in the north and THEY give out DDS

I think they are going to be changing to DMD soon.

obviously you all haven't done your research...

as printed in Case Western's info booklet:

"you will graduate with a doctor of dental medicine degree (DMD). Until quite recently we conferred the DDS- doctor of dental surgery, but we have phased it out.
The difference between the DDS and the DMD degree? Tthere is none. We adpopted the DMD in recognition of the changing nature of the profession. After you finish reading this brochure, we're sure you will understand not only why we changed the name, but why we say that dentistry is just the beginning."

So apparently (according to Just in Case Western), there is no difference but DMD is better because it is more in line with what REAL dentists do. So HA!!!! all you fools going to columbia and the other stupid DDS schools. fools. you are gonna be the worst dentists ever.

toofache32 said:
That's because Columbia is in South America. Duh.

I thought Mexico was in south america :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Dikphors, all of you...
Johannesburg is in South America.

DMD is a way to try to be like REAL doctors...dMD. It's a huge health care conspiracy.

TimR said:
obviously you all haven't done your research...

as printed in Case Western's info booklet:

"you will graduate with a doctor of dental medicine degree (DMD). Until quite recently we conferred the DDS- doctor of dental surgery, but we have phased it out.
The difference between the DDS and the DMD degree? Tthere is none. We adpopted the DMD in recognition of the changing nature of the profession. After you finish reading this brochure, we're sure you will understand not only why we changed the name, but why we say that dentistry is just the beginning."

So apparently (according to Just in Case Western), there is no difference but DMD is better because it is more in line with what REAL dentists do. So HA!!!! all you fools going to columbia and the other stupid DDS schools. fools. you are gonna be the worst dentists ever.
"The changing nature of the profession"?

Last I checked, dentistry was still an overwhelmingly surgically-driven profession. How can you expect them to waste time teaching how to cut a decent crown preparation, when they're so busy trying to figure out innovative new ways of pretending they're a med school?

By the way, after reading through the whole pamphlet I am still not sure why they changed the name their degree... as they promised I would be. Just another of the many examples of Case not following through on its promises.

not this again..blah :sleep:

Absolutely no difference between the two, from what i've heard.

drengineer said:
Absolutely no difference between the two, from what i've heard.

nonesence!

DMD's can peform Oral Surgeries, and DDS's cannot (they need supervision from a DMD).

iambatman said:
nonesence!

DMD's can peform Oral Surgeries, and DDS's cannot (they need supervision from a DMD).

No you idiot! They need to be supervised by a hygienist :D

Everyone knows that DMD's get sued more...

toofache32: Gotcha! ;)

:cool:

I can't believe how wrong you all are! The DMD is awarded to those individuals who have to take the national boards more than once because they failed the first time. DDS is awarded to graduating dentists with a 100% passing rate on the boards. Dental schools pick which type of degree most people end up receiving from their school to post on their websites and pamphlets! So.......moral of the story is......if you chose a school that awards a DMD, you should know right away that you'll have to take the boards twice. I found this information on ADA's website!!!

Lostinbul said:
I can't believe how wrong you all are! The DMD is awarded to those individuals who have to take the national boards more than once because they failed the first time. DDS is awarded to graduating dentists with a 100% passing rate on the boards. Dental schools pick which type of degree most people end up receiving from their school to post on their websites and pamphlets! So.......moral of the story is......if you chose a school that awards a DMD, you should know right away that you'll have to take the boards twice. I found this information on ADA's website!!!

Man, you're the one who's wrong. The ADA says that DMDs can take the boards only if they're supervised by a DDS student.

Also, in some states, DMDs have to do a 1 year Hygienist Residency in order to become licenced.

1992Corolla said:
toofache32: Gotcha! ;)
I was trying to remember what movie that was from. Fletch? I know Chevy Chase said it.

I haven't seen Fletch for a while...good movie.

If you truly want to know the answer then here it is:

photo_procreation.gif

:cool:

Audio said:
No you idiot! They need to be supervised by a hygienist :D

NO YOU NUMB NUT!

They actually have to be supervised by pre-dental students that shadow!

bump

I'm sorry, I found this thread by mistake but it made me laugh so hard I had to share it with the rest of the newer SDNers! :) It's nice to have some fun in the midst of all this insanity...

And, by the way, the FINAL answer is that the DMD is in Latin and the DDS is in English. Therefore, everyone who is pretentious should go to a school with the former and everyone who likes to rhyme their degrees with "a ss" should get the latter. Simple as that.

....comes in handy for limericks :D

toofache32 said:
"What's a Dikphor?" --Fletch (?)

"To pee with" (NOT from Fletch, from Spies Like Us)

hairybagel said:
That's it!! I have a copy of that but I haven't watched it in a while.

hahahah yeah thats the one I remember...dikphors... :D

toofache32 said:
That's it!! I have a copy of that but I haven't watched it in a while.

I'm glad I could help. I'm a treasure trove of useless movie trivia.

I dunno guys...I like DMD....but stupid Columbia is the ONLY IVY that insists on DDS. Damn haha.

Harvard, UPenn, and Uconn (Not IVY, but still good) all have DMDs, wudup wit dat?

hairybagel said:

Also, Dan Aykroyd said it, not Chevy Case. :)

The more you know.........