What's the difference between pseudopodia and flagella?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drteeth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I looked this up on wiki but came up with nada. Also, what are pseudopodia made of? Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

My own interpretation:

Pseudopod – Internal structure of the cell projects out a portion (think of it like sticking out a fingerlike projection). Then the cytoplasm and cell contents shift and slowly fill in that finger until the entire cell is now where that projection was. Ex amoeba
pseudopod.gif

Flagellum- a tail structure that is always there and used for propulsion. Ex. sperm

Eukaryotic flagella:made of microtubules with 9+2 arrangement and linked by dynein(motor protein)

Prokaryotic flagella:made of flagellin and is a hollow helical shaped tube.

Someone is on top of their game.

By the way, microfilaments are responsible for the pseudopods.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow this is good stuff! That pic is the first good illustration of pseudopodia that Ive seen. I found a pic of amoeba online but just couldnt find any good stuff regarding pseudopodia so thanks for the help.

Ps - its 1am, ive been up since 7am, and writing the word pseudopodia is beyond difficult right now! lol...

Hey Drteeth,

Another way of looking at it is that pseudopodia is actin (microfilament) based.

Flagella and cillia (eukaryotic) is microtubule based.

wow this is good stuff! That pic is the first good illustration of pseudopodia that Ive seen. I found a pic of amoeba online but just couldnt find any good stuff regarding pseudopodia so thanks for the help.

Ps - its 1am, ive been up since 7am, and writing the word pseudopodia is beyond difficult right now! lol...

Go to sleep:eek: