What's the difference in do and md

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Midnight786

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious my dad wants me to be an MD but I wanted to pursue what doctors I've seen I seem to want to be a do and someone tell me their difference MD vs do ? I plan on going to DMU

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol I did look it up just curious if I was missing something because wiki is an open source and Google tended to be a tad bit bias :p

I'm curious my dad wants me to be an MD but I wanted to pursue what doctors I've seen I seem to want to be a do and someone tell me their difference MD vs do ? I plan on going to DMU

you "seem to want to be a DO" but you don't know what a DO is....? This makes no sense

And do a forum search. This topic has been discussed ad nauseam on these boards

Ah cool I only say that because I've looked it up and it was different then what others said so just to make sure I came here anything else???

Ah cool I only say that because I've looked it up and it was different then what others said so just to make sure I came here anything else???

..........do a forum search

Reactions: 1 user
Largely a historical distinction that has over the last 100 years been eroded to the point of non-distinctiveness.

Osteopathic Medical training largely is identical especially if your school pays enough for half decent rotations. And most will end up in MD residencies.

Reactions: 2 users
MD and DO are the same except DO learns OMM and MD makes you a little more competitive for some hard to get specialties.

Reactions: 1 users
Your writing makes little sense..

Members don't see this ad :)
You people are harsh..I'll make sure not to come to you guys for any help If I were a patient. Help people? Not you guys.

You people are harsh..I'll make sure not to come to you guys for any help If I were a patient. Help people? Not you guys.

I don't really think that's the point. The guys on this side (the DO side) are usually very nice, however when you have a person asking a question that is listed multiple times on this website through countless testimonies and descriptions, it does get old. I do not mind answering this question in real life but when there is a forum above this section titled "MD vs DO", that gets to me a little. Regardless, my answer is that DO and MDs are the same now a days except DOs have an additional skill set of learning OMM from school while MDs would have to seek out this training. Both are licensed physicians in all 50 states being able to go into any specality with the ability to prescribe. Back in the day there was a bit more of a separation due to the philosophy, however in the current times they are rapidly becoming the same.

Reactions: 3 users
Cool thank man all I was doing was making sure ... There's nothing wrong with that I hope. Plus I'm not really good at working this only because my phone screws up I just thought it be easier if I just ask and see what answers I get without searching. Just me being lazy once in a while. But really thank you. I like this website. Helps clear my mind quite a bit.

Do people get some kind of horny pleasure or get an orgasm from starting threads that have been talked about godzillion times? (need to go watch godzilla)

If you really want to go to a DO school, go do some work on your own to figure out the difference.
god damn. searching the internet isn't that hard.... and i'm sure the exact same question was asked couple pages back.....
Lions don't open their mouths and wait for zebras to rush in, they go and hunt.

that's what.

Calm the hell down ... I did my research and what others said was different and asked a question stop ****ing attacking me because I asked a common question .won't happen again. And seriously be more civilized stop being a dutche bag

There is literally a stickied thread on this topic. End thread.

Reactions: 3 users
Guys, lets be fair he had a simple question, the least we can do is provide a link. It is def. annoying at times when this question has been beaten to death, but we shouldnt be the "forum" police on this, thats the jobs of Admins.....

But to be fair, thats what the forum searches are for....and I think the point has been made for the urgency in having to do a forum search first before simply writing a post....

Just my 2 cents....lets move on....we're all in this together yeh? Hope all of us get into medical school someway somehow....

Because doctors act the same while practicing as they do on an anonymous Internet forum.

It's a stupid question, and you got stupid answers.

When you ask a question, you have to prove you've done some legwork... In general that will be expected if you choose to pursue medical education.

For instance, you could have alternatively asked:

I've heard that DOs learn OMM. How does this make them different in practice?

OR

I have heard DOs have the same opportunities as other physicians, what has your experience been with DOs with regard to specialization and career opportunities?

But your question was poorly worded, grammatically inept, and lacking in any sense of personal investment of time and/or effort on your part. You got appropriate, deserved responses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

Don't do any of this for your dad. Do this for yourself.

Last edited:
Nonsense. Who's gonna sign his report card in med school?

OP: Do it for your dad. Disregard your impending DMU acceptance.

OP, I'm curious, have you taken the MCAT yet? What are your stats and extracurriculars like? You can't just plan to go to medical school without taking care of these things first.

I just got out of highschool going into college :p I'm planning on working as a paramedic to gain experience and maybe if not work as a paramedic then just volunteer at hospitals

I just got out of highschool going into college :p I'm planning on working as a paramedic to gain experience and maybe if not work as a paramedic then just volunteer at hospitals

Well in that case you might want to make sure you have the ability to even pass a pre-req (a lot of people cant). Then come back to sdn at the end of your first semester.

It takes time to become a paramedic. Did you do an EMT class in high school?

Yes I did. While in highschool I took a course in occc and have earned license

What do you think this is, a place of logical, factual arguments?
Profanity is prohibited in this section of the forums. I'd remove that image before an amin wanders in and warns/bans you.

Now that that is out of the way- MDs are doctors, and DOs are members of the bone cult of emperor AT Still, who sits upon the golden throne and guides our hands in the use of Still Techniques, and is sustained by the souls of sacrificed premeds.

Seriously though, in practice, DOs and MDs are essentially the same. DOs learn OMM, a form of alternative medicine, as part of their curriculum, but few used it in practice. The biggest difference is your ability to land a competitive specialty. A lot of derm, ortho, neurosurg, optho, etc residencies won't even look at a non-USMD application. You close a few doors going DO, so be aware of what you're getting into before you make a decision.

So, you're going to do the paramedic classes concurrently with the classes for your bachelor's?

I'm just asking because that's what I did.

Yes sir I apologize for my naive response and won't do that again. Thank you for you have cleared my head and will indeed look upon previous forums next time and do research before I decide to make my own forum. Thank you once again

Yes that exactly what I plan on dooring and if I may ask what were the challenges you've faced if any at all. Do u recommend me to become a paramedic while in college?

Yes that exactly what I plan on dooring and if I may ask what were the challenges you've faced if any at all. Do u recommend me to become a paramedic while in college?
I enjoyed it. Don't expect to graduate in four years though. It's usually around 60 credits, some places an associate's for paramedic. That's on top of your bachelor's. But, it also gives you a good back up in the meantime if med school doesn't work out the first cycle though I didn't have this problem.

Did you mean EMT-B? A paramedic licence takes 2 years to do which consists of classroom and riding on a truck for actual experience. As an EMT-B you won't be trained to read EKGs/start an IV/ give medications (except for the ones OKed by the state such as oxygen/Narcan/Epi for NJ). I would say do it if you can but it shouldn't be a priority. This is a more common path and I know a lot of schools that do offer an EMT-B course for the semester. That might be more attainable but if you aren't part of a volunteer company you might have a hard time financing it.

To take a paramedic class while in a bachelor's degree is a bit much and I really wouldn't recommend it. Medickdb is right, I wouldn't expect to graduate in 4 years but quite frankly I RARELY hear of anyone doing it. It would be great experience but I would say being an EMT-B is great as well. I got comfortable with patient care, retrieving a history and etc. I think it's helped me in the practical portion of medical school. You can't go wrong either way but I would say grades first and then see if you can handle the EMT class.

Profanity is prohibited in this section of the forums. I'd remove that image before an amin wanders in and warns/bans you.

Now that that is out of the way- MDs are doctors, and DOs are members of the bone cult of emperor AT Still, who sits upon the golden throne and guides our hands in the use of Still Techniques, and is sustained by the souls of sacrificed premeds.

Seriously though, in practice, DOs and MDs are essentially the same. DOs learn OMM, a form of alternative medicine, as part of their curriculum, but few used it in practice. The biggest difference is your ability to land a competitive specialty. A lot of derm, ortho, neurosurg, optho, etc residencies won't even look at a non-USMD application. You close a few doors going DO, so be aware of what you're getting into before you make a decision.

Not quite but just an example of how readily and easily information is avail. in this age of information.....heck you dont even have to type....just tell good ole Siri....she'll say something now?

I regard myself as a pretty nice guy (whether that's just my delusion or not).
But when people start acting like goofs around me, I am not going to sit there silently and let them have their stupid ways.
I may get in trouble for stating my thoughts but am I afraid of the consequences??? (maybe if there are legal actions evolved or I go to prison but.....)
That's what Gandhi and MLK Jr. did, wasn't it?
So did Donald Sterling of the Clippers.... but he deserved that....

But when people start acting like goofs around me, I am not going to sit there silently and let them have their stupid ways.
I may get in trouble for stating my thoughts but am I afraid of the consequences??? (maybe if there are legal actions evolved or I go to prison but.....)
It isn't about freedom of speech, it's about professionalism. The terms of service exist to encourage a professional environment on this forum. There are plenty of ways to speak your mind without resorting to profanity. MLK didn't say, "I have a mother****in' dream" nor did Gandhi say "Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make some ******* mistakes."

Um there's a difference in trying to be logical and stating opinion in a sober manner then just being rude. Haven't your parents taught you that if u can't say something nice don't say anything at all.

You really missed that whole non-violence, non-confrontationalism thing... Gandhi & MLK would have sang songs around you for being a goof to make you realize you're wrong. You're doing the MX or being up in people's faces.

It isn't about freedom of speech, it's about professionalism. The terms of service exist to encourage a professional environment on this forum. There are plenty of ways to speak your mind without resorting to profanity. MLK didn't say, "I have a mother****in' dream" nor did Gandhi say "Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make some ******* mistakes."

download (1).jpg

Um there's a difference in trying to be logical and stating opinion in a sober manner then just being rude. Haven't your parents taught you that if u can't say something nice don't say anything at all.

3723.jpg
You obviously didn't.

You really missed that whole non-violence, non-confrontationalism thing... Gandhi & MLK would have sang songs around you for being a goof to make you realize you're wrong. You're doing the MX or being up in people's faces.

I told you you don't like me...

Haven't your parents taught you to do things for yourself?

Oh right, you're in high school.

Can a MOD please lock and delete this thread.

There are too many wasted threads on SDN, that take away form peoples abilities to actually see useful stuff.