What's the greatest challenge facing the American health care system?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jessica37

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the greatest challenge facing the American health care system?!

I know this questions comes up a lot in interviews and sometimes on secondaries. I've picked my brain about this question and wanted to see what you guys came up with too. Right now, I'm thinking HMO's because they deny a lot of critical medical procedures. Doctors hands are soon going to be tied (if they're not already!). Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

What about the crisis in many states over malpractice premiums. . . this is a MAJOR problem that affects us in a major way.

Also the controversy and recent legislation over limiting residents' work hours -- the hospital accreditation assn (I can't remember the real name) recently passed provisions for an 80 hour workweek and 24 hr max shifts. . .

also, maldistribution in the physician workforce..i.e. more needless specialties in affluent areas than primary practitioners in poorer neighborhoods leading to severe disparities in quality of care. Read up on recent stuff the institute of medicine has published.

Members don't see this ad :)
cost of healthcare, keeps rising faster then gdp.