What's the highest paying non-retail pharmacy job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

npahlavan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says. I don't want to do retail, but it's hard not to considering the money they pay. I was just curious as to what pharmacy profession has the next highest paying salaries (home healthcare, mail order, clinical, nuclear, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad.

As the title says. I don't want to do retail, but it's hard not to considering the money they pay. I was just curious as to what pharmacy profession has the next highest paying salaries (home healthcare, mail order, clinical, nuclear, etc.)?

Managed Care ....was the best paying because your like managment but jobs for those positions are far and few between.

Members don't see this ad :)
CEO of any drug company and Director of a hospital pharmacy (ASK Z!)

My friend is a director of a hospital pharmacy and he makes around $125k.

Crap. Well it appears that nothing beats retail pharmacy unless your job doesn't require you to do pharmacy (i.e., CEO, Manager, etc).

Not that I have found!! :(

So MBA is the way to go then? :confused: Is the CEO of CVS/Pzifer etc. even a pharmacist or just someone with a MBA? LOL... :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)

who cares? pick one you enjoy the most. you gotta live it the rest of your life, is a difference of 5k on your salary worth the hassle if you don't want to do it?

who cares? pick one you enjoy the most. you gotta live it the rest of your life, is a difference of 5k on your salary worth the hassle if you don't want to do it?

I agree 100%!

If someone offered a work at home mail order position for 80K a year and a retail with a drive thru position for 200K a year I will EASILY take the work AT HOME position! :laugh: Life is too short to put yourself in that kind of hell hole.

I met a pharmacy manager of a whole sale company that makes chemo drugs etc. make close to 300k a year.

Wholesaler that makes chemo drugs???

I would think then it's called a "manufacturer."

Wholesaler that makes chemo drugs???

I would think then it's called a "manufacturer."

I could have misunderstood. I was introduced briefly by my dad. Regardless, he manages a location that makes chemo drugs as well as many other things.

I wouldn't be able to do that, since one of the biggest reasons I want to pursue pharmacy is the patients.

I could have misunderstood. I was introduced briefly by my dad. Regardless, he manages a location that makes chemo drugs as well as many other things.

I wouldn't be able to do that, since one of the biggest reasons I want to pursue pharmacy is the patients.

And he told you he makes 300K ?

No, I didnt ask. My dad is his realtor and knows about his credit and income, etc. so he told me it was close to 300k

I'm not saying he doesn't make that income. But let me assure you that's an exception not the rule. It does sound like you're describing a home infusion pharmacy manager as this position typically pays around retail income. So this pharmacist's income may include other source of income or could be a household income. Or truly, he may manage a specialy pharmacy and have an outlier income

Still, this pharmacist's income should be a confidential info as your dad is a professional and should not be discussing his income with you.

Last edited:
Also consider the quality of life besides just the salary. I know I get paid less than a lot of places (I work for the government), but I get 10 paid federal holidays each year (and we're closed, so that's the best part to me because I'm paid to stay at home - love it!!). I earn 4 hours of annual leave every 2 weeks for the first 3 years (13 days of annual leave per year) and then it bumps up to 6 hours every 2 weeks after 3 years.

I also have a rare Mon-Fri, 8-4:30 pm job with a 30 minute lunch and two-15 minute breaks every day. I can also call in sick and not worry that someone will try to convince me why I NEED to come into work. I don't NEED to be anywhere but home when I'm sick!

So basically what I'm saying is - look at the overall picture. Don't be blinded by the $$!!

Reactions: 1 user
Also consider the quality of life besides just the salary. I know I get paid less than a lot of places (I work for the government), but I get 10 paid federal holidays each year (and we're closed, so that's the best part to me because I'm paid to stay at home - love it!!). I earn 4 hours of annual leave every 2 weeks for the first 3 years (13 days of annual leave per year) and then it bumps up to 6 hours every 2 weeks after 3 years.

I also have a rare Mon-Fri, 8-4:30 pm job with a 30 minute lunch and two-15 minute breaks every day. I can also call in sick and not worry that someone will try to convince me why I NEED to come into work. I don't NEED to be anywhere but home when I'm sick!

So basically what I'm saying is - look at the overall picture. Don't be blinded by the $$!!

that's what's up! :thumbup:

Once the loans are paid off, I like this.....:thumbup:

I make $2 less/hr than I do when I float for retail. But with on-call pay, I make up for it.. It is so incredibly worth it, it's ridiculous.

It's not an either/or situation. There are good-paying hospital jobs out there!

A typical hospital director of pharmacy makes $120,000 to $150,000 per year with M-F office job. DOP of larger facilities make $160,000 to $225,000.

What about working at a Pharmaceutical Company like Pfizer, GlaxoSmithLine, Astra-Zeneca etc.

Surely, clinical and managerial positions at those companies have high paying salaries, or am I wrong in my assumption?

Granted there aren't as many pharmacists working at those companies as one might think, most of their clinical employees have post-graduate degrees in something other than Pharmacy: Organic Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biochemistry etc. But there must be some pharmacists with clinical positions.

Haha, his name is Dr. Mario. Figured those games were just GSK propaganda

drmario.jpg

get a degree in accounting or finance if you wanna be a CEO, thats what you need to have. . . the ability to read a spreadsheet and dissect the weaknesses of the company... than you can improve on them. . . most CEO s have nothing to do with the industry because it doesn't require knowledge of the industry for the most part; that is left for the lower levels of management.

What about working at a Pharmaceutical Company like Pfizer, GlaxoSmithLine, Astra-Zeneca etc.

Surely, clinical and managerial positions at those companies have high paying salaries, or am I wrong in my assumption?

You start off kinda at the low end - around $80-85 k a year. There's room for growth of course and you can earn much more but at the same time, most people don't move really up the corporate ladder.

get a degree in accounting or finance if you wanna be a CEO, thats what you need to have. . . the ability to read a spreadsheet and dissect the weaknesses of the company... than you can improve on them. . . most CEO s have nothing to do with the industry because it doesn't require knowledge of the industry for the most part; that is left for the lower levels of management.

Most of the upper level management is MD/MBA actually. At middle management your technical degree is more important; at upper level, its results + your MBA that carries you through. Dad's been working in industry for 30+ years

family member is a hospital CEO. Has a RN and MHA. Makes low-mid (with bonuses) 6-figures for a 100-bed community hospital.

Owning an independent pharmacy that has a niche would probably get you the most money.
so is your pharmacy school good at accepting students with a low Gpa? do they have alot of requierments please?

I think OP means right out of graduation just starting out.

Sure a lot of jobs mentioned - CEO, business owner, Hospital pharmacy director etc., can eventually overtake Retail pharmacist after a certain number of years, and with promotions, but the OP is probably asking what's the profession that has the closest comparable salary to retail right out the gate after becoming licensed.