What's the impact of publications on my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcveq

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about how admission looks at publications. I have about a 3.5 overall gpa, 3.4 science, and lots of research/clinical experiences, as well as strong recs (from profs at harvard med and yale med). I have yet to retake the mcat in a month and will be applying to med school this summer. if i fall below a 30 on mcat, will publications enhance my chances? By the time I apply, I will have 3 abstracts, and hopefully 5 publications (some are still in progress while others are under review). I am SECOND author on 2 abstracts and 2 publications, third on an abstract and a pub, and 4 on the other. Any answer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pubs are always a plus. The extent to which research activity will depend on the school (some don't care much), and the extent to which you took a leadership role in the research you did (for those schools that care a lot). It helps if you designed the study, applied for and received grant money, did the trouble shooting, evaluated the results, and wrote the paper or gave the presentation compared to running gels for a few years and having no real understanding of the process being investigated.

When your stats are on the low side, it helps if you have strength in as many areas of Experiences as you can manage: clinical, shadowing, leadership, nonmedical community service, and teaching. If you don't have these too, schools will wonder why you aren't just going for a PhD. Will your experiences override an MCAT of 29 and cGPA of 3.5? Possibly at a forgiving state med school, certainly at DO med schools. I can't give a broad reassurance about other institutions, but sometimes miracles happen.

Last edited: